Affiliate marketing - is it for you?

Anoop Zombie
Anoop Zombie
from Bangalore
7 years ago

Hey all, we are evaluating the prospect of a full fledged affiliate network on IndiBlogger. An extension of IndiWallet if you will. If you have had some experience of an advantage or disadvantage of using affiliates on your blog, do let us know as it will help us understand if and how you want to use it.

1-20
21-29
Replies 1 to 20 of 29 Ascending
Rakesh
Rakesh
from HYDERABAD
6 years ago

You have to follow the trend, then that is advantages

Dhanunjaya
Dhanunjaya
from Anantapur
7 years ago

Affiliate marketing  ho to add with Adsense newswap.online this is my blo

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
7 years ago

To the people who say they dont get any earnings from affiliate marketing, do anyone of you guys even cross 6-8k pageviews per day? Mostly non-bloggers and mostly from search engines? If anything lesser, then don't think affiliate marketing is going to help you out. If your content is not based on something to help people in making purchase decisions of any kind, forget about it. Intentionally saying a bad product is good without a vindicated writeup, forget about earning from affiliates and be more worried about losing credibility. Readers read from more than one website before buying anything and take user reviews into account. Both are very important and it takes time. This is the usual mistake SEO bloggers do, when they lure in newbie bloggers to tempt them to spend on something they wouldnt need until they reach a certain point. 

Even 6-8k pageviews per day wont get you everyday affiliates sales, but that's when you observe affiliate sales. something 5$. Sometimes 65$.  Sometimes $12. Once a month. once in two months. 

Rucha
Rucha
from Aurangabad
7 years ago

I have tried affiliate marketing...did not work for me...people are smart...if they want to buy something on amazon they just go to the site, search what they want and buy...it seldom happens that people come across a product accidently and go on to buy it...

Rakesh
Rakesh
from HYDERABAD
7 years ago

earn money with URL shorteners and also affiliate Marketing.

Praneeth Kumar
Praneeth Kumar
from Bangalore
7 years ago

I have been using Amazon, Snapdeal and Flipkart affiliates. I feel the framework of Amazon is more robust and mature than its counter parts. I would rate Snapdeal second and Flipkart is just average and lot of incorrect affiliate reports. I also noticed Amazon got better conversion ratio than other two.

tejas sahu
tejas sahu
from udaipur
7 years ago

how i can add my webiste to affliate network this is my website http://www.encyclopaediaoftinyfacts.com

Karthik Murali H
from Chennai
7 years ago

As per forum rules pls dont post ur blog links here. its classified under shameless self promotion

Ekta Khetan
Ekta Khetan
from Mumbai
7 years ago

Dear Anoop,

I normally avoid affiliate marketing programs unless they offer sure shot benefit and are not too tedious to follow, coordinate and communicate. Some of my blog/otherwise experience were-

1) It gets tricky a lot of time

2) Too many contradictory promotions diluting the objectivity

3) Data extraction and optimisation are tedious and mostly manual leading to dissatisfaction

4) If the product/service/process observes a flaw which may be due to normal operational risks, the bloggers/ concerned person gets the beating and bad name

5) Issues in synchronisation as in how the click lands, talks to servers, fulfils the order and lots more

The process needs to be objectively scrutinised, analysed in real time basis. Do let me know if I can be of any help.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
7 years ago

Aah.I think it also depends on what kind of content a website has as well. Typically, I've seen review websites using affiliates. I use it at the last page of my reviews (Amazon US, UK, India, Flipkart India and Newegg US) and in specification database. Order being fulfilled/issues with seller, etc. is between Amazon, the dealer, maybe the manufacturer and the buyer.  

Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
7 years ago

Neither I've enough hits/day which might suffice the criterion of affiliate marketing, nor do I love seeing banners clattering my "neat and clean" top space (or even side space for that matter). For my situation I would say affiliate marketing sucks!

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
7 years ago

I am getting two units of these plus two batteries. That's $170. Thanks to affiliate earnings, i can get it redeemed as gift certificates and now I am getting it almost for free. Its not free. The site did earn it. But its a gift card so...its "phree". 

Parwati singari
Parwati singari
from Goa
7 years ago

Thanks for bringing it up Anoop, I was invited by the affliate marketing what ever on 1st and 2nd, as usual BlogAdda let me know at the last minute so I did not make it. I would like to know more about it.

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
7 years ago

The point is, how many people enough pageviews per day/week/month to have either affiliates or ads profitable? I sense that a lot of people here concentrate on marketing content to fellow bloggers, who wouldn't bother to click ads or use affiliates- he/she will rather use theirs instead. 

Rajesh K
Rajesh K
from Chennai
7 years ago

I feel, advertising should become more creative. Since IB has a huge database of bloggers, I guess it should be possible to identify a team that can make witty, humorous content that stands out from regular boring advertisements. IB can mimic an advertising agency and sell copywriting through its bloggers - the creative stuff that can go viral on social media, not the conversion-optimized stuff. Think: The Unreal times, Faking News, etc. 

TechChumz
from Bangalore
7 years ago

Amazing idea! Support it wholeheartedly!

Vibha Ravi
Vibha Ravi
from Mumbai
7 years ago

Thanks for this one Anoop. Was considering the 'affiliate' way too, but I've been told that the revenue is not worth it for most bloggers.

Anoop Zombie
from Bangalore
7 years ago

Hey Vibhan, Thanks and I've been told that too.. hence the investigation :-)

Parichita
Parichita
from Mumbai
7 years ago

I don't have opinion on affiliate marketing as such. But I HATE advertisements on blog. As a user, the advertisements and affiliation mostly feels like to me like you're beating the users/readers with your need to earn. Half the time, I end up hating the site that do not have relevant stuff or have that revolving bar which displays products from Amazon, FK, Ebay etc.

Anoop Zombie
from Bangalore
7 years ago

Hey Parichita, yes thats a big turn off especially when its designed poorly I suppose. Thanks for sharing

Pawan
Pawan
from New Delhi
7 years ago

Using many affiliate networks. Indian Affiliate network does not give good commission. 

Anoop Zombie
from Bangalore
7 years ago

Yea the lower commisions is a big issue and a general turn off for bloggers from signing up with affiliates. Thanks for sharing.

Never earned a Rupee from Flipkart Affiliate Marketing. They deactivated my affiliate profile coz I didn't have any hits in the last year

Anoop Zombie
from Bangalore
7 years ago

Hey Narasimha, Same here! :-)

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
7 years ago

This is from Linustechtips. I know they just run youtube but they also run a forum as well. Same philosophy.

That said, people should have at least 200k-500k monthly page views before they can even think of earning from the site-IMO. Of course, there are also expenses for running a site to make quality content.  

Rajesh K
from Chennai
7 years ago

Nice video. What he says is right - most of us realize this only after a few years of (mismanaged) experience :P

Anoop Zombie
from Bangalore
7 years ago

Cool video man. Thanks

Rajesh K
Rajesh K
from Chennai
7 years ago

I had a blog that was focused on affiliate marketing for the US market. I targeted a tech niche and started writing posts. It took a few months to get the first check, but I've got many checks after that. The issue is - to justify the time you spend on affiliate marketing (or even ads) you need to scale up the blog quickly. Even after that, there is no reason why competition (or google search algorithms) won't catch up and reduce the traffic. That's what happened with my blog. 

Two lessons:

1. Be frank and put up a disclaimer that a particular link is an affiliate link and you might earn something if the reader goes and buys through that link. (I suggest doing this for sponsored posts too cos readers are ALWAYS more important than companies/e-commerce websites.)

2. If you do reviews, put up both the plus and minus points. The minus points are more important because plus points are available everywhere else on the Internet! It REALLY helps to USE the product before reviewing it. This helps establish authenticity, which attracts more readers the website scales up organically. The obvious issue is, this requires good amount of investment. 

I think companies like indiBlogger can help source products for bloggers to review. But that should not come with riders like - "no negative reviews please, no mention of free/sponsored product please", etc. But in my sub-conscious mind, I feel it's better for bloggers to buy and experience a product/service - that way, the blood on one's hands will flow into the posts. That's what readers want :P 

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
7 years ago

Its also important to put plus and minus point because some minus point would not affect a buyers, and some positive points may not be useful to some buyers. Clear display will retain such readers to be regular. Long benefits. Run your website like a shop. 

Anoop Zombie
from Bangalore
7 years ago

Hey Infinity, The review part of it is something that heavy on logistics but there is no denying its advantage. Thanks for your input.

Sowjanya
from Banagalore
7 years ago

Destination Infinity, very well said! 

ANIRUDH CHOUDHURY
ANIRUDH CHOUDHURY
from KOLKATA
7 years ago

No SSP. Not reading the rules is not an excuse. Why do you people even bother. Your peers are just going to have a bad impression about you. Besides, do you think it make sense to do SSP in a forum where others will want to know ways to promote their blog? 

ANIRUDH CHOUDHURY
from KOLKATA
7 years ago

pls translate in hindi

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
7 years ago

The public is not dumb. They know an influencer putting up sponsored posts when they see one hence they avoid reading such writeups. They know product placement when they see one. Even an influential website like youstory which is known to cover startups were covering kids of industrialists who gave "small loans" of lakhs and crores of rupees. it made a bad impression along with another point that startups do this so that it would look good for their investors. Be neutral. Sell ad space. increase the value of the ad space by being credible and gaining lots of traffic. its only then affiliate marketing can become secondary source of potential income. 

1-20
21-29
LockSign in to reply to this thread