Very slow loading time of blog. What can be done?

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
6 years ago

My blog shows 'Very slow loading time' when checked at Alexa . It is 9.399 to be more precise (For IndiBlogger, it is 1.791).

I wish I knew more about it except that the site IS too slow for my liking also. Can anyone suggest what are the widgets that make a site slow and that can be removed or also a few tips that can make my (or any!) blog faster to load.

I would really love to have a blog that loads faster, hence this thread in an attempt to gain more insights. So any suggestions around the same are welcome and I would be grateful! Smile

Replies 1 to 11 of 11 Ascending

http://www.onhindi.in/website-page-load-speed/

tips for you

Yogesh Sarkar
Yogesh Sarkar
from Delhi
6 years ago

Never mind, got the link from your profile, it seems to be fast enough, both on my desktop and using Pingdom test https://tools.pingdom.com/#!/bLZQ6d/http://www.myyatradiary.com/. You could try reducing javascripts by cutting down on widgets and optimize the images a bit. 

Yogesh Sarkar
Yogesh Sarkar
from Delhi
6 years ago

Do you mind sharing a link to your blog? 

Ankit Solanki
Ankit Solanki
from Ahmedabad
6 years ago

There are so many reasons ,

1 . Your theme having so many javascripts , try to change the theme and see the effects.

2. hosting is also one of the major factor, you can try with changing the hosting, try with cloud or digital ocean which is cheap and effective.

3. Try to optimize your images on the blog.

Karthik Murali H
Karthik Murali H
from Chennai
6 years ago

Keeping an excerpt as post template definitely helps in reducing load time

second save the images already present in your blog, save again as jpeg thru paint and see . It'll reduce the image size

noone actually uses cloud labels to navigate. Instead use drop down menus for easier categorization.

Third u can use search boxes instead of navigation bars on top. anyways ur choice.:)

Arti
from Mumbai
6 years ago

I believe, drop down menus require their own coding? which I don't know...

I will heed your suggestion about navigation bars, and will go ahead with whatever seems suitable.

Thanks much for looking into the thread and for your inputs! :)

Karthik Murali H
Karthik Murali H
from Chennai
6 years ago

@HR haha :)  first two to solve the problem immediately

third and fourth to jus optimize and make it better . thats all

HR
HR
from Bangalore
6 years ago

Edit at least two old posts daily which has heavier size image, resize the image and update them, tune the content/text for better search result, save it and wait for few days.

Arti
from Mumbai
6 years ago

I have been updating 'resized' images only for quite a long time now. Innocent

Karthik Murali H
Karthik Murali H
from Chennai
6 years ago

I think i can solve ur problem in 2 steps :)

First since ur using blogspot, switch to a template, that only shows an "Excerpt" of a blog post instead of the full blogpost one after another

Save all the images as JPG (like open an image ,save as and click jpeg) . and this reduces every pic by 200kb easily..

Third remove the label cloud (can make ur blog a lot crowded)

Fourth , remove the blogger navigation bar in the top (there's an option to switch on in blogger layout). this makes it look like a website instead of a blog.. hope this helps :)

You can actually try the new themes of Blogspot (that was introduced a few months back)

HR
from Bangalore
6 years ago

Is this two steps? Laughing

Arti
from Mumbai
6 years ago

I absolutely agree with your point one - excerpt would be nice. Would it reduce the load time?

I am sorry but I did not get point two... Where are the images to be saved? The pictures that I upload on the blog are from my desktop and they are already in .JPG format.

Label cloud helps in navigation and people who come searching, so I wouldn't want to remove it completely. But, yes trimming it would be great!

About the navigation bar, the idea of a blog I have in my mind can accomodate a navigation bar and it's perfectly fine. :-)

Thank you so much for taking the time to look into the blog and key in your suggestions, gives me something more to think about.

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
6 years ago

Get more from your site. Here's a recap of your scores and ways to help your site work well on every device.

MOBILE FRIENDLINESS 98/100 GOOD

MOBILE SPEED 73/100 FAIR

DESKTOP SPEED 0/100 POOR

MOBILE FRIENDLINESS 98/100 GOOD

Your results red_cross_bullet_msh.png Should fix orange_exclamation_bullet_msh.png Consider fixing green_tic_bullet_msh.png Looks Good green_tic_bullet_msh.png Avoid plugins green_tic_bullet_msh.png Configure the viewport green_tic_bullet_msh.png Size content to viewport orange_exclamation_bullet_msh.png Size tap targets appropriately

green_tic_bullet_msh.png Use legible font sizes  

MOBILE SPEED 73/100 FAIR

Your results red_cross_bullet_msh.png Should fix orange_exclamation_bullet_msh.png Consider fixing green_tic_bullet_msh.png Looks Good green_tic_bullet_msh.png Avoid landing page redirects green_tic_bullet_msh.png Enable compression orange_exclamation_bullet_msh.png Leverage browser caching See how storing data in your local browsers can reduce network delays » green_tic_bullet_msh.png Minify CSS green_tic_bullet_msh.png Minify JavaScript green_tic_bullet_msh.png Minify HTML orange_exclamation_bullet_msh.png Optimise images See how to optimise images so your pages load faster » green_tic_bullet_msh.png Prioritise visible content green_tic_bullet_msh.png Reduce server response time red_cross_bullet_msh.png Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content       

DESKTOP SPEED 0/100 POOR design_border_msh.pngYour results red_cross_bullet_msh.png Should fix orange_exclamation_bullet_msh.png Consider fixing green_tic_bullet_msh.png Looks Good green_tic_bullet_msh.png Avoid landing page redirects

orange_exclamation_bullet_msh.png Enable compression See how to make sure your web server supports compression » orange_exclamation_bullet_msh.png Leverage browser caching See how storing data in your local browsers can reduce network delays »

green_tic_bullet_msh.png Minify CSS

orange_exclamation_bullet_msh.png Minify JavaScript See how to minify JavaScript »

green_tic_bullet_msh.png Minify HTML red_cross_bullet_msh.png

Optimise images See how to optimise images so your pages load faster »

green_tic_bullet_msh.png Prioritise visible content

green_tic_bullet_msh.png Reduce server response time

orange_exclamation_bullet_msh.png Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content See how scripts may be slowing your site down »

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
6 years ago

I agree with Krishna, I would start with your images - for instance, this image is not compressed, so it's 368 Kilobytes. But it could be compressed to about 140 Kilobytes without any apparent loss in quality. So if you do that for all the images on your blog, you can probably shave off a few megabytes right there! What image editor do you use?

Arti
from Mumbai
6 years ago

I use Picassa for general edits and Fast Stone Image Resizer 3.2 for resizing the images in batch. That's all! How would you suggest I optimize / compress the images so that there is no loss of quality and the images are not heavy too?

Also what about the heavy images already uploaded (there are many!); it's a huge task to remove all of them and upload all over again!

Thanks a lot for the insight Renie, helps a lot!

Krishna Chaitanya
Krishna Chaitanya
from Hyderabad
6 years ago

Hello Arti,

I would definitely focus on the images that you are using within your articles.

Make sure that they are optimized. This will help you little bit and overall your loading time will reduce.

Also please test your site under " Google Test My Site". Google is providing a free service where it will provide you all the inputs to make your site faster and more attractive.

Once the results are out, please focus on those.

Hope this helps.

Arti
from Mumbai
6 years ago

Hello Krishna, Thanks so much for your helpful insight, really appreciate. I use Fast Stone Image Resizer 3.2 to resize images? Anything else that you can suggest for image optimization?

I also checked my blog with Google test my site. It gave me a score of 'Zero' for desktop! Can you have a look at it (pasted below) and suggest any way forward?

Arti
from Mumbai
6 years ago

It's come all jumbled here, but I hope you will be able to read more into it.

Krishna Chaitanya
from Hyderabad
6 years ago

Arti, 

I am sure you have got enough inputs but this is one of my favourite compressor tool that I use and most of my images are below 30kb.  Google "optimizilla". 

Upload all the images that you are planning to use within your blog article and reduce the size of the image where you are not compromising on the quality.

Once you have reached that level where you are happy with the image quality and image file size. 

Download all the images and use them in your blogspot.

I usually use 4 to 5 images within my article and overall i maintain 40kb as maximum file size. 

Hope this helps

Arti
from Mumbai
6 years ago

Thanks a lot for yout time and input Krishna, I will check out optimizilla to see if it helps. Thanks again!

LockSign in to reply to this thread