Would you as a blogger change your views on a subject if offered money?

Anoop Zombie
Anoop Zombie
from Bangalore
15 years ago

This could be a slight trigger question .. with so many companies willing to pay for a post from blogger like smorty etc .. this I feel is already happening and most of the time they are products that we really havent heard of ..

But the real question is, if you knew for a fact that a canon camera was better than its peer Nikon camera.. Would you write a super post for the Nikon Camera if money was on the table?

Replies 1 to 16 of 16 Ascending
Mathew
Mathew
from kottayam
14 years ago

Not a chance Smile

Rahi Vidya
Rahi Vidya
from Delhi
14 years ago

man thats not the way things happen. why will someone pay u if he/she knows that u don't rate their product well and going to write better about the competition. its better than not writing.

Subhayan Mukerjee
from Pilani
14 years ago

was jus jokin' man ...

Rahi Vidya
Rahi Vidya
from Delhi
14 years ago

Umm tricky question... but maybe yes I will write about a product if they are offering me good money. don't get me wrong. i m not that much greedy for money, but also I will not ignore ati hui lakshmi.  I have supporting reasons:

All of us will agree to this that blog is a media like newspapers and TV channels. Have you ever heard a newspaper refusing to advertise a product just because it doesn't go in sync with its philosophy. In the classifieds, a large number of the ads are from obscene or fake advertisers. Or refusing to advertsise or PR some product because it earlier glorified its competitor. No. So why us?

Agreed that a blog is more like a personal diary where you post things that you personally feel for. I have a solution. I saw this being used by some blogger, i don't remember who. After talking skies about a product, the blogger wrote a P.S; it's a paid post.

So if you are fearing that your readers will be astonished at your change in philosophy, just do this. Or better create a new category for paid posts.

Tell me will you want to do paid posts now.

@Renie: do they really pay that much of money for blogging. get me some of those projects man. I am ready to do.

Hariharan S
Hariharan S
from Chennai
14 years ago

@Anoop: No, I will not change my opinion. Instead i will ask for money from the company, who-s product i like. So that makes me true to myself. Write what you think and get money from the guy who benefits from it. Thats my idea.

Rajnish Kumar
Rajnish Kumar
from Bangalore
14 years ago

There is this story abou two friends who were discussing their sex life.

first one says - you know somethin' that famous actres xyz has agreed to sleep with me.

The second one is surprised - what are you talking about/I can't believe it.

First one gets back - There is just one problem.She is asking for 5 million dollars for a night and I have offered 500 dollars.Lets see  we are negotiating ...

I will put it more bluntly - how many of us will not write a great post for a Nikon camera if we are offered $ 2000 for a single post ?A camera is a camera is a camera..right ???

It all depends - if it is about a camera I would most certainly find out all the best things I can about my nikon and write a great review but if the subject is more intense I won't budge for any amout of dope.

NT Balanarayan
NT Balanarayan
from Bangalore
14 years ago

No way will I glorigy a product if I think it's not good. But if the product is good, I don't see a reason why one shouldn't. However, if anyone is writing a paid post, they should definitely make it clear right in the beginning. So that people don't get deceived

Deepak Shenoy
Deepak Shenoy
from NCR, Delhi
14 years ago

The Nikon may still have fantastic things about it - so I might say those, and in the end mention that I like the Canon better, and very importantly, that Nikon is paying me for this endorsement, so take it as you please. Of course if I said that Nikon would be unhappy, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

If I felt passionately about something, I wouldn't change my opinion. You couldn't get me to write a single favourable thing about most Unit Linked Insurance Products, they are all scams, one way or the other. But certain term plans rock - so I might diss an insurance company for one product and praise them for another. Yet, if they decided to pay me, I might still endorse the products I like, but will mention that I'm paid by them in that blog post. 

I have had some requests to endorse products, but after I mention this small point they usually go away. 

Shankar
Shankar
from Chennai
14 years ago

no way..

aniruddha pathak
aniruddha pathak
from mumbai
14 years ago

nope never :)

Sanjay Vedula
Sanjay Vedula
from Hyderabad
14 years ago

no! I wont. As far as I am concerned I blog because I want to write what ever I feel like. Money may not change my opinion. http://har****has.blogspot.com

We read in the news about how people change parties for money...not to speak of blogging about products as you mentioned.

Integrity and money both have value. The catch is that we 'assign' them value. And we choose accordingly.

It could also be that the blogger is writing about it and not endorsing it !?

Venkata Vinay @ Affirmative Thinking

Anoop Zombie
Anoop Zombie
from Bangalore
15 years ago

@ Everyone : Great to have a feedback from you guys on this!!

On the lighter side.. I have my doubts as to whether bloggers are going to honest about this on the forum LOL.. but theres really nothing to be judged here .. Blogging is taking shape in India and its good to know the blogosphere a little better

Karthik DR
Karthik DR
from New Delhi
15 years ago

Well, I used to use smorty before, but did not post anything that I didn't know about or against my thoughts, like your Nikon example. But you know what, after sometime it becomes like you spamming your own blog Wink

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
15 years ago

@Jamshed - that's pretty much the IndiBlogger philosophy - keeping true to the blogosphere. If not, every blog loses it's value and what we write about becomes irrelevant.

Anoop Zombie
Anoop Zombie
from Bangalore
15 years ago

@ Jamshed : aah yes the other element of an opinion change in due course .. I understand that completely

on another train of thought.. how many bloggers do you know subscribe to smorty , payperpost etc..?

Rakesh Vanamali
Rakesh Vanamali
from Ooty
15 years ago

Nope! Cannot think of subduing my values / thoughts for money!

LockSign in to reply to this thread