"How bloggers and social media influencers are conning luxury brands!"

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
6 years ago

Interesting article. Depends on the individual but most people do this. 

"The agency pushed these influencers on to the client on the basis of numbers (followers or views) that could all (too easily) be rigged. Clients were so thrilled with the idea of social media marketing that they never bothered to see whether the people these influencers reached (even assuming they did reach the number of people they claimed to) were relevant to the marketing of their product.

PR companies got rich. ‘Influencers’ found great gigs. And because there was no way of measuring the commercial impact of a social media post, no one was ever called out."

You can read the entire article here. 

Replies 1 to 5 of 5 Ascending
Manistha Jain
Manistha Jain
from Indore
6 years ago

I just shared my blog to this website. I don't get anything.

Sriram R
Sriram R
from Mumbai
6 years ago

I did make a podcast on it but I looked at all the 3 parts of the value chain i.e. the brand marketing depatment, the agency and the social media influencer or blogger. My contention is if I am the brand marketing department and I do not do my homework the I cannot blame others as I hold the purse strings. Not knowing is not an excuse as today all it takes is couple of searches.

Ancy
Ancy
from Delhi
6 years ago

This is how the above mentioned article by Vir Sanghvi ends,

"Social media has huge influence today. It would be a mistake to underestimate that influence only because some marketing people dupe their clients into wasting money on useless influencers. There is, as even Cohen concedes in her piece, a huge potential for brand building in this space.

So yes, I agree with the consensus that this whole influencer thing can be a bit of a con. But the problem is not with the massive influence of social media. It is with marketers who, either out of stupidity or unscrupulousness, don’t harness its great power."

Jheelam Dutta Roy
Jheelam Dutta Roy
from Durgapur
6 years ago

Rarely I have seen an influencer pointing out any genuine flaw of the product in her/his sponsored review. I mean, if they are reviewing somehing, there has to be atleast an attempt to sound unbiased. How come the brands remain so gullible and take all these sugar-coated reviews in face-values, is what boggles the mind.

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
6 years ago

Interesting point of view. I was expecting lot of discussion on this one. 

LockSign in to reply to this thread