indianraga would like you to review his/her blog.
[ http://indianraga.wordpress.com ] IndiRank: 50

Please review my hindustani classical music blog

indianraga
indianraga
from Bangalore
14 years ago

Please review my hindustani classical music blog. Your feedback would help immensely.

Replies 1 to 2 of 2
Anand Bala
Anand Bala
from Bangalore
14 years ago

****DisclosureI am fan of Hindustani and Carnatic classical styles. I am not an educated connoisseur of music by any stretch of the imagination. I do however, pride myself on my limited collection of music******In Bullet Points

• Blown Away – by the age of the blog and the depth of musical samples
  • Why did I find this blog only now?
  • I like the layout (wordpress)
  • I am not too sure why you are running two addresses - I guess there is a technical reason.

Overall Comments

1. The content of Ranjan P Parikar at SAWF is probably the benchmark for commentary and collection. His content while being exceptionally diverse and unique is hard to digest for somebody like me who does not have a technical grounding (that is my problem and not his). Your blog seems to have the diversity without scaring away people like me who are not educated enough to understand the nuances of the music. That said, I would suggest that you look at some of his literature (if you have not already) on the SAWF archive.
  2. I could be wrong, most of the collection that you have is fairly common place (ie- not rare recordings or mehfils) a few more such recordings, should add a lot of traffic to your site.
  3. For a blog with such a great following and such good content it might make sense to have a guest posting every once in a while. 
  4. There is no search facility on the wordpress blog (or was that my browser acting up again)

Extremely well done and keep up the great work.

Anand

http://anand-bala.blogspot.com

indianraga
indianraga
from Bangalore
14 years ago

@Anand Bala

First of all let me congratulate myself for the review I got from you. I am a dummy myself in my knowledge of the intricacies of classical music, and I am targeting visitors who are as uninitiated as I am. As you rightly pointed out, I don't want to scare visitors by explaining the 'Aroha' and 'Avrohas' of the ragas, not that I know them myself.

I keep two blogs just because I feel secure. The wordpress.com blog is my anchor where you are not allowed to paste javascript and so will not crash on you. I love learning html and javascript. My blogspot.com helps me in experimenting with the codes. I am nearing 60 in age and I want to perfect this art before I die. Visit my blogspot blog and you will notice this.

BTW, there is a 'Search' option in the wordpress.com blog, just below the 'Pages' section. I just checked it out with both IE and Firefox.

I know writing same content in two blogs is blasphemy and there is always a risk of being penalised, but who cares. I am not a good writer anyways. My posts are music centric. I choose the songs and write a post around them rather than vice versa. Being just 2 years into classical music I am discovering and rediscovering new artists everyday. You won't believe it, but I heard of Ustad Vilayat Khan just a year ago. Now I own most of his recordings.. some 60 albums.

Sites like 'SAWF' and the likes go above my head. I believe 'what is great sound to me, others must like it too.' I rely more on my ears rather than cowed down with big names.

Thanks for such a nice review. It will keep be blogging.