I need to register custom domain for my Blog - Help Please

Keshav Saini
Keshav Saini
from Delhi
14 years ago

Dear Indibloggers,

I want to switch my domain name from blogspot to a custom domain. I have checked over the internet for domain name registration and blog hosting but I am confused. What I found was even If I switch to a custom domain, google will still keep on hosting my blog for free.

So I need only to have a custom domain. Can you please suggest me some sources where I can get domain name with all the features and technical support at a low price.

So many of you have been using the custom domain. Can you please share your experience with us (those with blogspot domain name) so that we can make it to the private domain hosting.

Currently my domain name is theartofstart.blogspot.com and I want to switch to a custom domain with environment as a keyword.

Replies 1 to 6 of 6 Ascending
Keshav Saini
Keshav Saini
from Delhi
13 years ago

I am stuck with one more thing and that is CNAME record. Now what is this CNAME record?

Vikash
Vikash
from Bangalore
14 years ago

I Agree with Jayanta, Best way is to migrate through blogspot itself. I have done for my blog http://www.mobilenewshome.com and it is working fine :)

Keshav Saini
Keshav Saini
from Delhi
14 years ago

Thanks for your feedback indibloggers. But I read somewhere that we will no longer lose our backlinks and readers if we switch to custom domain from blogspot.com

Yes, it will take 1-2 months for google to update your new domain with the page rank of your previous domain. For long term benefit, cutom domain is required.

Magali Vaz
Magali Vaz
from Mumbai
14 years ago

As others have said, I too switched a few months ago from .blogspot.com to a custom domain. I bought it through Google itself, it's easy, only for 3 days you have a little 'turmoil' then everything is fine. $10 is a very reasonable rate, too.

Best of luck!

Googy
Googy
from Delhi
14 years ago

@Keshav Saini.....why don't you get one for free?

Here is the link to have a domain for free: http://www.indiblogger.in/forum/topic.php?id=4362

After registration you will receive a cPanel UserID & Password, just login to your cPanel account > Go to Domains > Simple DNS Zone Editor and add following records:

Add A Record: (You have to make 04 different entries)

Add CNAME Record:

ghs.google.com

For more info on settings for custom domain on blogger.com go here

Note: It may take about 24 hours for settings to work.

India Mainly
from Baroda
14 years ago

I am not sure if that's free for year.  As it includes hosting package and hosting is free for 1st month, than monthly charge.  So if keeping hosting than will keep free domain.   If just want domain name, than it's no use paying hosting every month after 1st month of free service.

India Mainly
India Mainly
from Baroda
14 years ago

godaddy.com  best.

LockSign in to reply to this thread