Komal Pria Acharya Ingrum would like you to review his/her blog.
[ http://www.chaicafemagazine.com ] IndiRank: 40

Thoughts on my blog?

Memoir Blog, topics related to South Asian culture, the impact of family dynamics and our path to authenticity.  http://www.chaicafemagazine.com

Edited 14 years ago
Reason: review
Replies 1 to 6 of 6
Aditya Tibrewala
Aditya Tibrewala
from Mumbai
14 years ago

nice blog, nice content and a nice structure.

some tips for improvement:

1) lets not have google ads right in the middle of your post, you seem to desperate for clicks.

2) why is the sponsored links area in the sidebar empty?

3) your widgets below cultural events are not in line and the headings are overlapping each other which gives an overall messy impression to an otherwise perfect blog.

http://adityasmoviereviews.blogspot.com/

Aditya,

thanks for responding - will try to fix today.  Part of my issue is the WP theme - don't like it but picked it recentlty because it's IE browser compatible.  Liked my previous theme (Suffusion) after much trial and error.  Anyone else have this issue?  Any recommendations on compatible themes?

Responses:

1)Easy Adsense placement - I think I can disable

2) don't know - will try again to remove - I think it's there for an ad placement but Google can only show 3?

3)ick - didn't know, hopefully I can fix  (or will need to look for another theme and start over - sigh)

Will get back with fixes

-Pria

I changed the theme to fix the issues - how does it look now?

Pushkaraj Apte
Pushkaraj Apte
from Pune
14 years ago

Hi,

I didn't see the earlier theme, so can't comment on that.

Before even beginning to write a review of your blog, I have to GATHER my thoughts. And maybe that's the first feedback I can give. Your blog really appears like a conglomerate of some 7 or 8 different blogs, if you know what I mean. I appreciate your diversity of topics - quite mond-boggling, really.

OK, let me stop rambling. You have a Tab-line below tha heading and again a widget on the left about 'Pages.' Aren't they the same? You could save space by knocking off that Pages widget.

In case you are seriously following adsense and are focusing on the clicks-per-page and all that follows, then it is ok. But otherwise, there are too many ads all over! They almost mask the real stuff, the content of the blog. I may be a little old-fashioned in my views about blogs, but I am convinced that a blog attracts readership first and foremost through substantial and interesting content. Google ads and other fancy stuff like widgets are less important, but that's my personal view. I tried flirting with adsense and after realizing that my revenue refused to move beyond $ 2.39 after two years, I gave up. Now I just focus on writing.

One more point - many of your 'Pages' have only one post.One feature that I sorely missed in your blog is an archive. One has to go through each page to see the content. I did this because I was interested in writing this review. Would a passer-by reader do this? E.g. your page about South Asian poetry has just an appreciative note about how you like Kabir. Can you then blame a reader for thinking, "oh, there is nothing here to really read"? I would also like of you really exapnd on what you like about Kabir. i know that Kabir's poetry could become an independent website by itself, but still, I missed what you personally feel about Kabir.

I was quite amazed at your condour when reading 'Reality of arranged marriages.' You are a courageous woman!

On a parting note, I also feel you could use the headings a little more carefuly. Your post about 'Adventure Travel in India' is less about adventure and more about the condition of tourism in general in India. It is valuable no doubt, but not really in line with the title.

Keep writing, will follow your blog. In spite of the fact that I am a miserable cook myself!

Best regards,

Pushkaraj Apte

http://www.express-explore.blogspot.com

Thanks for your review! Yes, I did intend to have the site cover diverse topics with a S Asian connection.  I picture sitting in a cafe sipping chai with friends and musing away.  I added it after posting about cultural stuff on my main site (www.priaingrum.com) and realizing there was enough ABCD stuff to talk about to warrant another site.

Btw, archives are on the bottom left.  I have to build some pages more, like the poetry.  The site is still new (3 months). I can't get rid of the pages widget yet because the tabs aren't clearly showing all the pages - will keep tweaking - just changed the theme yesterday.

With all respect, I went to your site (nice!) and saw a skyscraper google ad for a mall here in Denver! ;-) I thought you were done with adsense.  As I get used to my new theme, there should be less blatant ads, would like to know how to add my chai cup logo, for instance.

Thanks for following and feel free to comment on the site; would love more interaction with Indians on the site-maybe debating away on it someday...

Pushkaraj Apte
Pushkaraj Apte
from Pune
14 years ago

Hi,

Yes, I did visit priaingrum.com too when writing the review. The site is really nice. I liked the reverse chronology. Would have like it to be longer, though. In some of my developmental workshops, I have given this as an assignment to the participants. To write one's autobiography in reverse. They often don't understand what difference it makes if written in reverse. But it does. When written like this, one tends not to externalize issues and blame the universe for a raw deal tha tlife has dished out to you. If you write it in the normal timeline, one tends to do that often.

Would definitely visit yur blog more often and also share my views as comments.

I AM done with adsense. I mean I don't worry about which ads appear, nor about how much money I have made. The ads simply come and go away. More often than not, they are not linked to the post topic either! I tried to customize that aspect and gave up eventually.

Best regards,

Pushkaraj Apte

http://www.express-explore.blogspot.com