Sugandha would like you to review his/her blog.
[ http://thoughts-in-play.blogspot.com/ ] IndiRank: 40

Review for my blog

Sugandha
Sugandha
from New Delhi
13 years ago
Myself, a first year engineering student in DCE, started blogging a few months back, just for fun and some creative satisfaction. Have written on pretty diverse kind of post topics, which have fetched me extremely good as well as not so good opinions, but its been more of a mixed response. I want my blog to be reviewed KEEPING ITS GENRE IN MIND, so i can get a view of my shortcomings or plus points, if any. I write straight from my heart, very frankly and need to know how far is it ture and good. Hoping to get a review soon. 
Edited 11 years ago
Reason: Typing error
Replies 1 to 4 of 4
Lalit Singh Chowdhary
Lalit Singh Chowdhary
from Gurgaon
13 years ago

Hi Sugandha, most of the people develop a style for writing and have completely different style of speaking. In your case you write as you would speak. Or more like you record your post and have someone who types in for you. This not a criticism just an observation.

Wouldn't it be so much fun if you have a Podcast of your blogs. People could listen to your blog on their way to work on their favorite MP3 player :)

Lalit

Sugandha
Sugandha
from New Delhi
13 years ago

whoa, that was the most unique comment i have ever received. Someone else also told me that my writing is sortta conversation and i kinda agree coz i try to keep it as honest as possible, the way i'd want to express, that is also why my posts also tend to get longer. Your suggn is also very interesting. Thanks a million for ur worthy comment :) 

Pushkaraj Apte
Pushkaraj Apte
from Pune
13 years ago

I entirely agree with Lalit. You do write as you speak. Just count the number of times you use ..........  and ALL CAPS in your writing. Honestly, it is distracting.

But let me begin at the beginning as far this blog review is concerned.

1. You have chosen to diplay all your posts on the home page. Very soon, your home page will become about 7 kilometers long. It already takes longer than a 'normal' blog page to load. You already have the blog archive widget. Leave it to the reader to choose if s/he wants to read older posts or not.

2. If the archive is already there, why have another widget of reverse chronology? Once again, this will become too long when your number of posts crosses, say, 100. That won't be too far, in case you are thinking like that.

3. The background image running through the whole length of the page is not to my liking. But then, this is a matter of personal choice. So keep it of you like it. Mind you, its a great image per se, but not as a backgound to the whole page.

4. The header is far too long. You could remove the Followers and Footprints widgets and keep them in the sidebars. I must admit this - your blog is the first blog I have seen in my lifetime where Followers widget is in the Header. I know, I know. everyone likes to see the magic number increase on his own blog. But right up there? Smack in the face of the reader as soon as the page opens. Ummmm..

5. You have specifically asked a review keeping the Genre in mind. Since you have a personal blog with random topics, bear in mind that your readership will largely be of repeat visitors who already like your blog. The possibility of a new reader is always lower for random blogs than for topical blogs. Do you know the average duration that a new reader stays on a page? Something like 4 seconds. (This is a published research study. Am not talking out of my hat.) To keep a new reader interested, you will have to look at the length of your posts. Often, when a reader begins to loose interest, s/he will scroll down to see how much more there is to read. Take your note on 'Jahaan teri ye nazar hai' for example. I agree with every bit of what you have said. Just that it could have been said in 1/4th the number of words. Another thing you could is use 'Read more' feature which is now easily accessible in blogger.

A pertinent example of this, and I am going to quote you here -

This post as you might be knowing is a follow up to my previous post , yes yes, the one in which I could not come to the main point due to lack of space (avoidable or unavoidable!). At that time I was pretty amused to see what I had done (or rather what I had NOT done), but later on it turned out to be a problem because this one post was not taking the form I wanted to......

Unquote

Need I say anything more?

Wishing you all the best in writing,

Regards,

Pushkaraj Apte

http://express-explore.blogspot.com

Sugandha
Sugandha
from New Delhi
13 years ago

@Pushkaraj Sir,

thanks a million for telling me so many worth-knowing points about my blog. I am surely gonna take note of EACH and EVERY point of yours. Word limit, i agree, has always been a problem with me. And i have realized that it really is high time when i became more to-the-point in my writing. I am aware that the usage of ellipses could be a distraction for some and keeping that in mind  i had even tried to get over with it, but i guess i started again. This time am gonna look and work on my blog seriously before the next post comes. I have seen quite a few blogs on indiblogger, including yours and surely, i have a lot to learn.

And about the followers widget, it used to be there in the sidebar, but once blogger introduced some changes, it went u there. Though i admit, i din think of changing its position which even i feel is necessary.

Thanks a LOT LOT! :)