Being honest is sometimes difficult!!!

SAIBALA
SAIBALA
from CHENNAI
13 years ago

Let us take this case:

You are caught by a traffic policeman for over-speeding and your are asked for your papers that are not in your possession at that moment! So,will you bribe him and speed fast down the road or Will u pay the fine and get the receipt!?

(P.S : Bribing can actually save you 500 bucks in this case!!)

Be completely honest and pour in your thoughts!!!

Replies 1 to 16 of 16 Ascending
R.Krishnamurthy
R.Krishnamurthy
from Chennai
13 years ago

Sai Bala, you cannot link just paying bribe to get the Driving License with all sorts of other misbehavioural acts, because this is not your making! Even, court of law takes a lenient view and does not punish a person who pays bribe. One can be wrong on this one point so as to be right on so many other fronts in life. With this, I end my argument on this issue.

In jest, one can easily write a book on "What they don't teach you in this world!!".

Deepak
from India
13 years ago

agreed.........

SAIBALA
from CHENNAI
13 years ago

@Kris: Just because of the fact that we are not punished,we cannot stray off the moral track!! anyways,nice talkin to u!! :)

Deepak
Deepak
from India
13 years ago

Mohan..... no escape.... answer d Ist one.....

Mag[m]
from Delhi
13 years ago

huh...

Mohan
Mohan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

i will skip this... next question please.

Mag[m]
Mag[m]
from Delhi
13 years ago

hmmm not yet .... but too much contradiction on this..!!

SAIBALA
SAIBALA
from CHENNAI
13 years ago

Is this run over???  Is that all we have got on this issue???

R.Krishnamurthy
R.Krishnamurthy
from Chennai
13 years ago

To give you some hope, way back in 1974, I had 'L' license and was hesitating to get the two wheeler driving license, when my brother returned from West Germany, bought a Vespa and then went for the tests and got the driving license straight away! When I asked, he said he did not pay a paise as bribe! Inspired by him, I also went for the tests some days later, and yes, I could also get the driving license without offering any bribe. Times seem to have irrevocably changed, that you're not able to get the license without offering bribe!

And in 80s, parakkum padai Srinivasan, did yeomen service to the society by directly threatening those officials who demanded exorbitant bribes, and thereby helping the common citizens get building permits without paying much extra! But, in one case, the official delayed and delayed, that the applicant had to use the help of the BJP president of the time to get the sanction in a day! But, the cost went up by a lakh of rupees in that one year, something like 15%! That day, I decided to be practical, as much in the interests of my clients as for myself to save from haggles.

To be honest, my friend mentioned earlier, and all the people around me are much bolder than me in not paying any bribe (and getting work done) till possible!

Lots of good luck in your fight!

SAIBALA
from CHENNAI
13 years ago

Sir, yes,I accept that time has irrevocably changed.But has it veered into the right path? If I am allowed to be categorical,I will group you and your brother in the "exceptions" category.Exceptions can never be taken as examples,sir.I can list down a dozen other rejected papers that were not even looked at! These kind of worthless inspections and  illicit sanctions are eventually reflected in the augmenting road accident figures!Does the phrase 'being practical' justify these accidents? According to me,'Being practical' just sounds like 'I do not care for moral standards because I care for my living standards'.Of course,there are exceptions like in your case where you had your own responsibilities mounting up! It just happens to be a blunt monosyllabic "no" that people fail to deliver.Most of them are in fact happy 'to bribe' and 'in getting bribed'. We do not vote,we do not pay our taxes properly,we bribe every single individual that fails to comply with your own set of 'don't care rules',we litter around whichever place we go to,we micturate over every existing lamppost and wall and ultimately we blame the government and lament about its futility.When 'we' ,the so called educated section of the society show no signs of basic social and moral etiquette,it consequently sets up a wrong notion to the uneducated mass! Ironically, we just take the third person plural form of the  words 'society' and 'government' ,failing to realize their classical first person singular form!! 

R.Krishnamurthy
R.Krishnamurthy
from Chennai
13 years ago

I have paid the fine and got the receipt, during a bus ticket checking, eventhough I had bought the ticket earlier, but couldn't show in time. There are better examples which will strengthen our minds:

• A person  in Trichy despised paying bribe to get electricity connection to his house, but instead opted for solar energy. Today, he has no electricity bills, no power cuts.
  • a construction company refused to pay any bribe for getting planning permission and building permit, or for getting electricity, water connection or drainage connection to the buildings constructed by the company, but unfortunately, this has landed the company into problems.
  • Ajit Premji has said in an interview that Wipro refused to pay bribe for getting electricity connection
SAIBALA
from CHENNAI
13 years ago

kris.. I'm glad that you elucidated on your previous statement! These examples irrefutably portray the disheartening kleptocracy of our social system! I really appreciate your paying the fine and getting the receipt... But can we not do anything about this???  At this point, I would like to add on one of my personal experiences.. I don't have a driver's license yet.And the reason is simple enough! All my papers are flying right into the garbage can,only because of the fact that i refuse to pay up despite passing all tests! Has anyone gotten his/her driving license in a bona fide way? I could not and I'm yet to get one... Incidentally,while travelling from Chennai to Trichy I met up this man who was an experienced and a retired government employee and apparently my co-passenger in that train! We were talking about all general issues and at some point of time I brought up this one.I asked him, ,"Will I get one at least in the future?? for which he firmly replied,"Well yes.. may be in some other country!!!" 

Gouri
Gouri
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

If the guy with challan is not around, I will insist for one. Last time, he asked me to wait but finally, had to let me go after waiting for 10 minutes.

If I have to give him anything, I start with 5 rupees. There are 5 possibilities in this case (in the same order):

1. The guy gets irritated and hands over the key;

2. I manage to strike a deal at 20 rupees;

3. I get irritated and pay him 50 rupees;

4. I tell him I don't have a penny and hand over the RC and DL to him (which turn out to be colour xerox)

5. I ask for challan and pay for it. (And try to get it reimbursed from my employer)

SAIBALA
from CHENNAI
13 years ago

Lol :P you have got your own options of irritating a policeman!! so do you think bribing him is the only way out whatsoever?? What about moral standards and social ethics? Are these just for discussions and debates?? I'm putting this to everyone! Have you ever said,"No,I will pay the fine and get the receipt!! "

Gouri
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

No, bribing is not the only option. Please refer point 4 above. Also, if you are on a bike and have a friend sitting behind you, then you can deliver a quick blow speed off. But you need to do that before he stops your vehicle. Cool

I insist for a receipt when the poor creature starts expecting something more than 50 rupees (see point 5 above).Wink

It has become very difficult to live in India nowadays. If you don't bribe, you can't get a thing done (except blogging, thankfully we don't need a licence for it). And if you do, you get caught up in unsuspecting threads like this.. Laughing

Gouri
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

read: ... deliver a quick blow and speed off.

SAIBALA
SAIBALA
from CHENNAI
13 years ago

sorry fellas! I never knew abt this reply feature attached with a post!!! (I know it's embarrassingEmbarassed)

SAIBALA
SAIBALA
from CHENNAI
13 years ago

@loga : sodexo?? lol Laughing

@kris : They catch you for some reason or the other.. It's hard evading them!!

@mag : It's gonno be hell for Renie!!!  :P

Mag[m]
Mag[m]
from Delhi
13 years ago

belly....lolz .... actually reniw was making a  deal of 50 rs illegal bribe instead of 200 rs legal fine....150 rs of saving , 2 canes of beer

SAIBALA
SAIBALA
from CHENNAI
13 years ago

@ Renie: I think when you bribe a policeman,not even a penny goes to the government! You are just feeding his belly and nothing else Smile And yea,pls do save a seat for me!! Thanks!!

R.Krishnamurthy
R.Krishnamurthy
from Chennai
13 years ago

My friend was just stopped by a police man while driving. He had not committed any offence while driving, and he had all the papers with him. Yet, the policeman said, " I can still book you for over-speeding!". My friend coughed up Rs50 as bribe and drived away. Not a likeable experience though!

Loganathan
from Chennai
13 years ago

One of my friends bribed a 50 rs Sodexo meal pass... rofl

SAIBALA
from CHENNAI
13 years ago

They catch you for some reason or the other.. It's hard evading them!!

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
13 years ago

Honestly - I'd pay the bribe and buy a few beers with the money I've just saved. (As long as the money goes to the government somehow, my conscience is clear.) Innocent Laughing

Hmmm...

Saibala, thank you for reminding me that I'm going to hell. Frown I'll save a seat for you when I get there!

SAIBALA
from CHENNAI
13 years ago

Renie: I think when you bribe a policeman,not even a penny goes to the government! You are just feeding his belly and nothing else Smile And yea,pls do save a seat for me!! Thanks!!

Mohan
from Bangalore
13 years ago
And then the beer story continues happily there after ;)
SAIBALA
SAIBALA
from CHENNAI
13 years ago

@ log:  lol Smile .... But what hat if he has a lot of patience and is really determined to see some cash moving out of your wallet? Trust me in this .. It's really hard to get away!!!!

Loganathan
from Chennai
13 years ago

It seriously depends on the situation. If I have got work, I would pay him and leave. If I it was only a drive to pass time, would spend time there frustrating him. rofl... I love frustrating people who are determined to see cash out of people for no fault of theirs. I love frustrating those people who do this just because they have the authority.. lol

Cheers,

Loga

Loganathan
Loganathan
from Chennai
13 years ago

I will just stay there without doing any of the three, watching him get bribes from other drivers... Beyond a point, he would lose patience and will let you go.. lol

Cheers,

Loga

LockSign in to reply to this thread