Why Engineers write?

sweta tiwary
sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

First of all a very Happy engineers day to everyone.

Many times when I go to book shops I find novels or stories written by someone, who was an engineer by profession. Engineers study very hard to clear the engineering entrance test and then publish a book or a romantic novel....

Why engineers have this love for writing.... any answers?

Replies 1 to 18 of 18 Ascending
Sanjay Vedula
Sanjay Vedula
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

When you want to write, you write - That's it! 

Lalit Patnaik
Lalit Patnaik
from Bangalore
13 years ago

If 10% of all educated people love writing and 60% of all educated people get an engineering degree, what's the probability of of a writer being an engineer. I hope you get the answer ;-)

vipin lal
vipin lal
from chennai
13 years ago

we write stories beacause our faculties want 2 page answer for a  question which can be answered in 2 lines. they count the number of papers than the number of points..

sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

hahaha Laughing the best explanation

Mayank Sharma
Mayank Sharma
from New Delhi
13 years ago

They write coz they are creative..... Look at our exam answers. Only engineers can score good marks after studying only for a day prior to paper...... Our mind is full of creative stuff..Hence, we write :D

sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

yes correct.... engineers are creative Wink

vipin lal
vipin lal
from chennai
13 years ago

I think most of the engineers get into some boring job and they find themselves in the moddle of a crowd where they have nothing else to talk about other than job. when this kind of life continues we look for different things in life.. writing and  blogging is just one of them..

Iniyaal
Iniyaal
from Coimbatore
13 years ago

Engineers write novels, become amateur photographers, trekkers and what-nots... They do all this mostly to escape from the mundane life at work, spent staring at machines and gadgets!

sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

Hmmmm.... but that can happen we person in any occupation.

Everyone can get bored at one point of time, its not specific to engineers.

Nikita Goel
from Houston
13 years ago

Although i am not an engineer , i belong to english literature field...writing and reading are natural to me...even i wonder why ???

Kevin
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Engineers do not stare at machines but read/study them. Just as we do not stare at books but read/study them.

Let me take the pain of explaining this to u all..Engineers (Only Indian) are a special breed (definitely not extinct nor on the verge of extinction).. They are the lot who had some talent or the other, but by some force of nature ( Bhedchaal) have all ended up being in a totally wrong field..all they do is browse, gossip and consume free tea + coffee and yet at the end of the day, they crib abt their packages as if they are discovering electricity every god-damn day..they continue to do it until they become Project Managers, from whereon they become *******s! ..

http://www.hellisnext.blogspot.com/

Jayanth Tadinada
from Mumbai
13 years ago

@agree with Chiraindia :) 

A lot of intelligent people irrespective of what talent they possess end up being engineers... some of them manage to get out of the mundaneness loop and "break free" and end up being writers :) 

Addy
Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago
I dunno! Maybe we are took terrified of our own domain! We venture into the grasslands and find hills and valleys and jungle...... :P this is just crap we like to invest (read waste) our time in anything that is not our domain!
sweta tiwary
sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

May be because, we engineers have the art of filling papers in exam with our own stories, when we don't know the answer Smile

Just a pen in my hand
Just a pen in my hand
from Agartala
13 years ago

as i keep on repeating , enggs have too much free time !

LOL , ok guys , b4 i get booted out for allegations of spamming , lemme stop pulling ! Wink

Sakhi Shah
Sakhi Shah
from Vadodara
13 years ago

Simple answer? 

Coz wannabe engineers read. :) 

Just a pen in my hand
Just a pen in my hand
from Agartala
13 years ago

as i said earlier , u enggs have too much free time !

Kevin
Kevin
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Engineers write technical books to always be remembered at least by college students either in good way or bad way Smile

Engineers write a romantic novel because engineers are very romantic Laughing

Just a pen in my hand
Just a pen in my hand
from Agartala
13 years ago

u engineers have too much of free time Tongue out !

Vishwajeet
Vishwajeet
from Pune
13 years ago

Fully agree @Mag[M] , though engineers have many subject to study, they feel why not write a novel as we are reading almost 40+ books from different authors in single course.  Relief from frustration !

Reamaining engineers write to inpress girls !!

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
13 years ago

+1 on the last line Wink

Mohan
Mohan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

3 possible roads to ruin ur life :

• Women (the pleasant way)
  • Gambling (the quickest way)
  • Technology (the surest way)

Happeee Engineers' Day

Mag[m]
from Delhi
13 years ago
+1 @mohan
sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

Same to you Mohan....

not sure about the first two points but technology will surly sure the developers life Tongue out

Mag[m]
Mag[m]
from Delhi
13 years ago

@sweta..... because they hardly get a chance to write anything in exams.... so they leave their frustration on novelsLaughing.... and love is the most strong hidden desire of engineers , thats y y they believe in love stories...

@himanshu.... not like that majority of engineers who wrote novels are from IIT or IIM.... if it was the case than let me write a novel to prove this wrongTongue out

sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

that is a good point.... Smile

BTW your novel.... I can guess what it will be about... Tongue out

Mag[m]
from Delhi
13 years ago

lolz.... not like that yaar..... u can take me seriously some timesInnocent

Himanshu
Himanshu
from Delhi
13 years ago

Two reasons according to me.

1) Writing is something which traverses boundaries. People in any profession can be bitten by the bug.

2) If you graduate from a good college (IIT/IIM), people percieve you to be intelligent and above average on the face value. Majority of such romantic novels have been written by IITians and IIM guys!

Cheers :)

sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

completely second you on your second point Smile

Naveen
from Bengaluru
13 years ago

Cheers!

Happy Engineers Day!

I've an uncle, who has been a gr8 scientist at ISRO, and as far as i've seen him, he spends time either reading his astro-stuff or novels or he writes!

I've no explanation to why engineers love writing, but, its true that engineers really love to!

Rohan Hood
from Pune
13 years ago

Really! I dont understand why so many IITians/IIM passouts are writing crappy (read bad English, age old plot) novels about their exploits while studying engineering. And stores like Crossword proudly showcase them  on the best sellers' shelf.

LockSign in to reply to this thread