Do girls get more comment then boys, because of their gender?

sweta tiwary
sweta tiwary
from bangalore
14 years ago

Some days back a friend commented that, female blogger always get preference then male blogger. I thought let me ask the same to the bloggers itself and find out what they feel. Smile

"Do female bloggers get more comment then male blogger, because of their gender?"

Replies 21 to 40 of 49 Descending
Sonia Kathuria
Sonia Kathuria
from New Delhi
13 years ago

this is true, because girls write better than boys and thus get more comments, they r definately more expressive and emotional in writing

Vasu
from Basel, Switzerland
13 years ago

I disagree...your writing ability is irrespective of your gender. There are two kind of cliched comments I have seen in this conversation: A. FROM men who suggest girls get more comments only because they are girls, even if they write trash, B. FROM girls who suggest that ONLY they can be more expresive, share emotions etc

The truth lies in the middle...:)

Cheers!

Vasu

Vijay Bankar
from Mumbai
13 years ago

n so it begins... muhahahaha..

(Evil Grin :P)

Sonia Kathuria
Sonia Kathuria
from New Delhi
13 years ago

i respect your view point, but God has kept that difference in the genders, about emotions and expression,

still i agree that writing is a skill which canalways be developed

have a gr8 day!

Devilzangel
Devilzangel
from Mumbai
13 years ago

lolll  wen people cant think of nethin, dey play the "gender" card haha. Gender pros n cons exist from the minutest of activities to some of the most important of tasks. Even if a gal gets credit 4 her work, etc based purely on her own qualities, people will consider it as a "gender" bias instead of actually giving it a thought that that gal mite have actually had the capability n etc etc :p. So wen pple around u dont get it ;) haha fuhget their comments n njoy d so-called-gender-preference as dey say lollll ;)...!!!

Sachin Arya
Sachin Arya
from Pilani
13 years ago

Hi Sweta / Everyone on this forum,

Topic is indeed contentious... but we can't everything in black or white.. Life is more in Grey... ;)

Having said that, blogging is a form of social networking sans the privacy controls of other social networking forms like twitters, facebooks and orkuts of the world. Opposite sex attracts each other is a proven fact. Girls receiving scores of 'fraandship' requests on facebook justifies it.  Through a blog, you get to know a lot about a stranger/ individual, even if you are not known to her/him or connected to her/him in some way. Exactly that is the motivation. In order to strike a connection, a guy is more likely to go checkout a girl's blog rather than a guy's. I am pretty sure a girl would do the same. Remember, people who don't try, get nothing!! ;)

Whether it fulfills their need for getting the right content is debatable. Lets not get into 'girls are better, boys are better' debate. Content is not a slave of one gender.  It's a personal matter on who you want to read. May be what is crap to you, makes sense to someone. 

Assuming there are more number of guys blogging, the trend would continue for sometime. For Guys, need to be innovative and creative in marketing their blog.

Cheers,

Sachin

P.S. I agree for stickiness, try generating better content. 

Vasu
Vasu
from Basel, Switzerland
13 years ago

@Sachin: You reflect my view points very well, when you talk about not looking at things in black & white, & content not being a slave of one’s gender. Well said!

@Sonia: Essentially men and women are born with different capabilities, but different professions or task, demand us to use a part of our brain which is typically used by the other sex.

For example, it is heartening to see women professionals who are very successful in what were traditionally male dominated for many centuries (Sports, Warfare, Police, Politics, just to name a few). They made it because they did not want to be bogged down by a clichéd view that women were not capable of some tasks.

Similarly, some of the greatest writers, musicians, artists and story tellers have been sensitive men, who understood the human emotions very well. None of these men who have given us such brilliant literary, or artistic masterpieces, would have made it in life, if they thought that a man cannot express his emotion.

So, getting back to the post, it is true that women’s blogs get more attention (and that it comes mostly from jobless men and the sisterhood!), but let us accept that trivial reality, strive to make our blogs better, and contribute to the wealth of the blogosphere.

And that is irrespective of our gender :)

Cheers!

Vasu

sweta tiwary
sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

hey guys (Murli and Vasu) take up your flirting offline, many under18 are here on indiblogger Wink

and Vasu, i thanked you when you reviewed my blog Smile 

and a suggestion, when you are posting your blog on the same topic include this discussion link also... some people will find it interesting i guessInnocent

Vasu
from Basel, Switzerland
13 years ago

Will do Sweta, and that's why I am not posting it yet...I want more views and critical ones :)

And yes you thanked me, but somebody else did not. Not that its a big deal, but still have to mention it as Murali raised the point of etiquette.

Cheers!

Vasu

Shreya Sen
Shreya Sen
from Kolkata
13 years ago

So conclusion upto now?women don't have brains? or men have their brains lodged safely between *coughs* their lower limbs?

Sachin Arya
Sachin Arya
from Pilani
13 years ago

@Shreya,

Both of your conclusion are way, way off the target...

Anyway, lets not fall victim to the bug of generalization. Topic is *not* to ascertain whether a particular gender has brain and where it is located in other gender.

Do women get more hits or comments - Yes.

This sample is too small to profile major reasons; suggest a poll if you want to nail the top 3 or 5 reasons.

Cheers,Sachin

Shreya Sen
from Kolkata
13 years ago

i was kidding.peace.

Somebody Somewhere
Somebody Somewhere
from Kolkata
13 years ago

Without a doubt they do.

These Men they do lurk in expectation of a reciprocation.

Utsav Chakraborty
Utsav Chakraborty
from Navi Mumbai
13 years ago

The very response you garnered to this topic proves your point...

I had already made this point in my blog review topic too...

http://www.indiblogger.in/forum/topic.php?id=4717

It had achieved a thunderous response of exactly one blogger posting on it... And politically and correctly, disagreeing with me.

Our society's hypocritical. But it has always been that way. I bet no 'review my blog' petitions by girl bloggers go unanswered (that too with positive reviews). No matter how bad they are. 

I've said this before and I'll say it again: It's not that girls make bad bloggers/ writers, it's just that even the crappiest blogs can get away by putting a youngish, fairish. schoolgirlish picture of themselves and it'll still have comments resonating "Awsumm bloggg" and "Wow, it is da best blog I ever read..." by male readers, nay, thrill-seekers.

But this is has been put forth quite boldly here. So I'll move on.

This topic brings us to another question; a rhetorical one at one at that... :P

Are men funnier than women?

The answer isn't 'yes'.

It's DUH.

Mostly, because humour isn't a talent or a skill... It's a self-defence mechanism. Jocks are usually not funny, it's usually the non-athletic kinds. Alpha males usually don't need to be funny. That goes with those who are good at sports on one side and surprisingly, (considering the Indian context) those who top the class. The primary reason being they don't really NEED to hunt for a mate.

Humour is also a social aphrodisiac. It's a means to find a partner of your IQ and thus, a means of propogation of species...

Prosecuted races are usually funnier than alpha-races. Example: Jewish people, as an ethnicity, have a high propensity for humour.

And (most) women, frankly, don't need to 'woo' a partner. Thanks to male testosterone levels, men are only a step behind, possibly stalking them. 

Women need a doggie-whistle. Not a sense of humour.

Amen.

Shreya Sen
from Kolkata
13 years ago

funny.:|

Utsav Chakraborty
Utsav Chakraborty
from Navi Mumbai
13 years ago

@ Shreya

Was that meant to be sarcastic?

sweta tiwary
sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

Looks like this is the conclusion time.... Smile

so according to the replies on this forum, the conclusion is:

Girls get more comments because guys have no sense of Art and good writing. They blindly go behind the opposite sex and increases the number on comments on girl's blog....

Am i correct???

Utsav Chakraborty
Utsav Chakraborty
from Navi Mumbai
13 years ago

@ Sweta

Also, you getting 45 comments despite having so many grammatical inconsistencies in your sentence construction should serve as evidence... :P

sweta tiwary
from bangalore
13 years ago

Thanks alot for pointing out my mistakes Utsav.... Smile

you help me in improving.

Farida Rizwan
Farida Rizwan
from Bangalore
13 years ago

First I have to agree that Sweta is young and beautiful.

After going through this thread I am wondering whether I a made mistake by announcing my true age, posting my real pic and telling about my kids or what????

But then I would not prefer to have people visit me just because I am young and pretty. How long will I hold them there with my looks and cutishness? What kind of comments will they provide? Will they ever read properly what I have written?

So finally true comments come from people who appreciate your blogs...  I can see the girl thing works on getting friends in orkut or facebook.. LOL.Blogging in the long run is about serious reading.

BTW Utsav you promoted this thread to me ... now don't complain she got 48 comments here LOL. People have to say something on topics like this. I am sure even a male would have generated as much comments.

Shreya Sen
from Kolkata
13 years ago

yeyyy to you Farida Mam!:D

And I was going to point that out too. This thread too does not have so many comments because of the sex of the thread starter but rather for her content.The world loves a controversy!

Prateek Varshney
Prateek Varshney
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

ufff... ppl can thnk too much bfore postin a comment too :D...

i never expected tht ;) . .

@Shreya - or may be girls dont like to post comments on guys post :P:P...

jus kidding !!

Shreya Sen
from Kolkata
13 years ago

haha...well Prateek, I know a lot of guys here are complaining about the fact that girls don't enjoy serious posts etc. Frankly speaking, most personal male blogs I have read, I found them tremendously boring. They superficial and more out to impress the world than write whats truly in their minds!

Satya
Satya
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

Guys.. I should really talk on this topic.

One year back, I started surveying the various blogs of girls. The count of reading girls blogs might have been reached 50+ by now. And the reason why I did is to know, first of all, whether girls get more comments or not. And, now after one year, I should say 'YES' to that question.

Girls obviously get more number of comments  and the reason is obvious and everybody should accept it. Also, I don't believe in the 'Content is King' concept. It's true only with guys blogs.

I've gone through lots of girls' blogs and I've seen lots of normal blogposts which got more than 20 comments. One girl wrote that she could not find the pics of her favorite cat and that post got lot of comments. That post is enough to prove that content is not king for girl bloggers.

No offence here.. It's a natural phenomenon of guys getting attracted to gals. After all, if we don't comment on them, guess we have had some physical problem..

Utsav Chakraborty
from Navi Mumbai
13 years ago

I agree on all respects. How else do you explain the top ten posts (the girls in it) in the last Indiblogger contest?

Paushali De Roy
Paushali De Roy
from Calcutta
13 years ago

Interesting thread.  Well, a pretty face initially fetches readership- that's a fact. but to sustain it one needs expertise, wit and humour that reflects in the posts. That pretty much works out in every sphere of life including the blogosphere. So it will be kind of sexist to tag the success of a female blogger in garnering constant readership only on the basis of her gender or face value. 

Lahari
Lahari
from Bangalore
13 years ago

My opinion is bloggers comment box is filled only coz of their quality post and not coz of gender..

Utsav Chakraborty
from Navi Mumbai
13 years ago

@ Lahari

Break out of the superego imposed bubble and you'll see...

Mukul Gupta
Mukul Gupta
from Delhi
13 years ago

I think there is no secret that women especially girls get special treatment here but let me pose something different also  there are many instances when people have resorted to "You scratch my arm and i scratch yours" concept to get few comments so its just not always that the Girls get extra comments... 

Secondly , if we are talking about the quality and the amount of attraction they get I think Indiblogger is not the right place.. I have noticed many blogs with Millions of Mistakes with completely useless comments on them and making to high Indi Ranks because the Moderator himself said to my post once that he wants people to be encouraged COMPENSATING THE QUALITY AND STANDARD OF BLOGGING !! Some of Blogger are writing exceptionally well but posting it just once in two weeks or so and are given ranks around 30-40 ..this shows that the right people are neglected for making business ... 

Mukul Gupta (http://mukulwrites.blogspot.com/ )

Shreya Sen
from Kolkata
13 years ago

I highly doubt that. I have seen plenty of blogs with great indiranks and awesome posts.sour grapes anyone?

Satya
from Hyderabad
13 years ago

I truly agree with you..

Mukul Gupta
from Delhi
13 years ago

shreya did I mention all or always..I said I have read some like this ...and yes I am myself following those blogs because they have written well and got less indiranks according to their quality of matter because they are posting it once a while and not daily ( which i suppose is the case)... 

Paramvir Singh
Paramvir Singh
from Mumbai
13 years ago

sweta is actually right.

I have experimented with this and it works.

females get more attention. males are probably more in number browsing around. but thats of course not always true, things like quality of content etc do matter a LOT.

LockSign in to reply to this thread