Shameless Self Promotion hurts You and IndiBlogger

Healthy Living India
Healthy Living India
from Bombay
15 years ago

First up: I'm not flaming/trolling. I consider this an important issue.

The indiblogger forum is meant for networking and interacting with bloggers. I don't count post advertisements as fitting into either category. Quality posts will draw readers to your blog without you necessarily having to say, "Did you know this... read my post to know more."

This is a forum to share experiences and insights about the blogging experience. Can we please stop clogging the forums with shameless self promotion. Once you advertise your blog in the Review category, your blog is on everyone's radar. After that, let readers add their blog to your network.

Shameless self promotion does more harm than good. I would stop visiting a blogger who only interaction on the forum is "check out my post."

Renie: You've provided a button to say mark discussion as "shameless self promotion" but how many people have to mark it that before it gets removed?

cheers!

Prashant.

Replies 41 to 60 of 93 Descending
Nice idea to have a device like " stop this shameless self promotion ' ! Some people are really impossible and their erratic behavior like this one is hard to vanish ! Any way we could at least make a try !
pankaj Rokade
pankaj Rokade
from mumbai
14 years ago
wisely.... i get 80% TRAFFIC FRM THE GOOGLE IT SELF
Chriz
Chriz
from Chennai
14 years ago

The irritating advertisements that creep in between overs during cricket matches... The channel gets the paisa and the client get the viewers (whether  they like it or not)...

i agree that when someone adds his/her url in a forum, the whole conversation drifts away.. Again the conversation will drift away only if i am not serious about the conversation..

Spammers will be there as long as forums exist... sometimes we need to adjust with it.. If we tighten the rules, we might not have good discussions in the forum..

There should be an alternate method to avoid spammers.. we could actually have a separate thread for that and find new insights from the brainy strategists of India

Healthy Living India
from Bombay
14 years ago

The thing is Chris that you're saying pretty much what we're all saying - we could ignore it but maybe we should deal with it. The "alternate method" will obviously involve some rule tightening but perhaps it is for the best - otherwise, there is a real chance (in my opinion) that IB will just die out as a place for bloggers to share ideas and it'll become a pure advertising your site clusterfck.

~Prashant.

Smita Sahay
Smita Sahay
from Noida
14 years ago

@Chriz, I agree with you.

Ignoring the links, and carrying on with the discussion seems to me to be the best policy(have tried it and it works).

One ignore keeps away other potential self promoters (cruel, but necessary at times!). 

Also, why is mentioning one's link being termed 'self-promotion'?

It ranks high on my list of things that put me off in a blogger's reply.

Shouldn't we call it 'self-demotion' then? 

I personally don't feel the need for a drop down menu.

If a particular reply from a thread interests me, I simply click on the person's name, and am transported to his/her blog.....(have I got something wrong here?)

Healthy Living India
from Bombay
14 years ago

We're not arguing mentioning your link Smita... we're arguing the "Check out my cool post," "check out my new awesome post" kind of discussion threads. When people start threads like these, they crowd out threads that deal with blog discussion and debate. The quality threads get pushed out of sight... that's what we're trying to combat. Within an answer, by all means drop your link but we don't want people starting pointless threads.

~Prashant.

Smita Sahay
from Noida
14 years ago

I knew I was geting something wrong hereSmile!

My reply about ignoring the unwanted thread or intrusive comment is still valid, though.

External factors will always be there, the point is not to let them distract us, and to steadfastly:

1.ignore,

2.sidestep,  and

3.carry on with the discussion as if the intrusion never happened.

Its easier to do something differently than to tell a person what not to doLaughing!!

S.R.Ayyangar
S.R.Ayyangar
from BANGALORE
14 years ago

Yes, it happens every where. You scratch my back, I shall scratch yours. Writers have their own group to praise each other in articles and reviews. Indivine is no exception , that is why one can find posts of same bloggers again and again!

Gyanban
Gyanban
from Kolkata
14 years ago

I am completely for shameless blog promotion.

I think the primary premise is a need for approval.Some people write to be appreciated,some people just write to write whether or not people comment.Each has a right to his existence.We cannot be judgemental of what is right and what is wrong.

If some SBP does not appeal to you - you have a choice to ignore it.It doesn't cost you know.

IMHO there is no harm in promoting your post,as long as you are doing it on Indivine.Since there are thousands of posts on the net,a good post can often get lost.Besides sometimes,as a writer you feel some your best work needs to be shared.Absolutely nothing wrong with that.Yes,if it transcends into pestering or spamming,and posting on wrong forums,with off topic content, it looses it s relevance That's when it is bothering.

Farida Rizwan
Farida Rizwan
from Bangalore
14 years ago

In short I just have to say I agree with what you say...

Nalini Hebbar
Nalini Hebbar
from Nellore
14 years ago

I don't know if it is promotion but I would love to know if my blog looks as good to anyone else as it does to me...being new I had added all sorts of stuff to my blog, and some good Samaritans who reviewed it suggested  changes which I incorporated.

After the changes, I am naturally curious to know if my changes were nice...so I ask for another review.

Am I promoting?...maybe I am, may be not

...Is it a crime... to ask people to your home?...make friends?

Stuti
Stuti
from New Delhi.
14 years ago

Why is promotion so important anyway?

I am a beginner on IndiBlogger, and I have only added 3 of my posts to IndiVine, posts where I wanted public opinion.

Isn't it better to let people find your blog rather than having to shove it down people's necks?

Healthy Living India
from Bombay
14 years ago
It depends purely on what you're blogging about. Now obviously personal opinion, poetry blogs will hardly be promoted because you're never going to get the massive numbers. You obviously can't optimise your writing because poems and SEO don't really go together. So you continue writing and you'll probably always get 10s and 20s. But if you want 1000s of visitors then you will have to optimise your writing and promote it. This thread wasn't meant to be for people who don't care to promote... it was laying down some suggestions for pormotional guidelines. Thanks, Prashant.
Addy
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Point taken Prashant!  Smile

Addy
Addy
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Shoving down one's neck! NO NO NO! Surprised

but you gotta server them on a plate, their choice to eat or not!

How else is anyone gonna find out your blog out of the billions???

Stuti
from New Delhi.
14 years ago

That is why we are here, aren't we? That is why we use IndiVine, Forums!

Addy
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Yes precisely! And this thread is here only to explain no to over exploit the forum and Indiblogger!  

geeta singh
from delhi
13 years ago

right addy!! forum , blog review option .. i think that is also part of promotion only ........blogging itself a part of promotion ...M I right???

Mag[m]
Mag[m]
from Delhi
13 years ago

When INDvine is being provided as an option of blog publiity than y use forum...???

Addy
Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

...........and it hurts me too!Frown *ouch* So painful.............. Cry

Nilesh Gonsalves
Nilesh Gonsalves
from Mumbai
13 years ago

A very simple way. There is blog reviews section section where bloggers can put up their blog for reviews. whats the need of doing it on forum?

Also i feel that bloggers should get a chance about every 3-6 months to put up their blog for review again, so as to get feedback about their improvements or suggestion from the blogggers.

Ajay Tawde
from Mumbai
13 years ago

second that

Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Only if spammers would care.............

Dr Pratibha Singh
Dr Pratibha Singh
from delhi
13 years ago

Truely said

''Shameless Self Promotion hurts You and Indiblogger''

I APPRECIATE THIS EFFORT TO STOP SELF PROMOTION ACTUALLY THOSE WHO DID THIS OR DOING ARE ACTUALLY FAKE TO THEMSELVES.ITS A DUTY OF EVERY BLOGGER TO PRESENT THEIR REALISM.

Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

True doc!

I think, if you dont have readers what is the use of writing a blog. We can always use dialry. But virtual word give us a chance to present our ideas, dreams and views regarding amy topic under the sky. At the same time we are always curious ( curiosity is part of human nauture...) to know people's view regarding the same. So I think asking people to visit your blog is no harm, but by promoting it and posting blog link everywhere person is cheating noone but himself. My 2 year of blogging experince says that, blogs with good content are always appreciated , when blogger know the right place to put his blog.

purushottam kulkarni
purushottam kulkarni
from Pune
13 years ago

Dr.kunjan yaanche pahile vakya khup mahatwacha aahe. mulat swatache nav taku naye, he thik aahe, atta sanagayachi vel aali mhanun sangato-- mi marathit lihilelya pustakanvar majha paraichay dilela naahi.itakech navhe tar tyavar hakka pan thevala nahi.

aapan lihilela [blog] lekh kuni vachala naahi tar kahicha bighadat naahi. aapan apal lekhan "swant sukhay" karave. 

swatachya web site che nav lihila mhanun kaay bighadat te mala samajat naahi.hav tar vacha naahitar naka vachu.kinva ase lihine talave ase agodar sangane avshyak aahe.

Pratyekachya manat vegvegalya kalapana asu shakatat. Kunala hat jodun Namaskar karane Yogya vatel tar kunala hatat hat gheun Abhivadan karane yogya vatel.

Tenvha agodar nischit kara kaay yogya aahe te. sagalyanaa sanga ase karu nakaa mhanun aani mag jar tya niyamaachi paymalli jhali tar mag tyaacha Rag kara.

Please care to write in english, I haven't understand single word in your reply....

purushottam kulkarni
purushottam kulkarni
from Pune
13 years ago

oh ! mala ingraji yet naahi.

dhanyawad !

Ruyaam
Ruyaam
from Tokyo
13 years ago

>>Shameless Self Promotion hurts You and Indiblogger

Rightly said!! 

Addy
Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Shameless Self Promotion hurts You, Indiblogger and The Brainwave! Frown

Mag[m]
from Delhi
13 years ago

The Brainwave.... u too

Addy
from Mumbai
13 years ago

Yup it hurts me too dood! Cry

eshwar
eshwar
from bangalore
13 years ago

promos r needed.....but thr r limits for those promos....

we get irritated if we see too many promos...

WE EXPERIENCE SIMILAR IRRITATING POSTS ON ORKUT!!

''chk out this community..... and meet srk''....!!

but promotion in a creative and innovative way which evokes interest in the reader wud be appreciated

LockSign in to reply to this thread