Shameless Self Promotion hurts You and IndiBlogger

Healthy Living India
Healthy Living India
from Bombay
15 years ago

First up: I'm not flaming/trolling. I consider this an important issue.

The indiblogger forum is meant for networking and interacting with bloggers. I don't count post advertisements as fitting into either category. Quality posts will draw readers to your blog without you necessarily having to say, "Did you know this... read my post to know more."

This is a forum to share experiences and insights about the blogging experience. Can we please stop clogging the forums with shameless self promotion. Once you advertise your blog in the Review category, your blog is on everyone's radar. After that, let readers add their blog to your network.

Shameless self promotion does more harm than good. I would stop visiting a blogger who only interaction on the forum is "check out my post."

Renie: You've provided a button to say mark discussion as "shameless self promotion" but how many people have to mark it that before it gets removed?

cheers!

Prashant.

Replies 81 to 93 of 93 Descending
Stagg Mann
Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
11 years ago

No Kedar. The existing system is better. I too am a new joinee and although I don't know things were when self promotion was allowed, I'm pretty sure it would have sucked. I'm having trouble getting votes too, but the thing is, the longer you stay at it, the easier it gets. And besides, if self promotion were allowed, it would be allowed for everyone, so the new bloggers would still not have an edge, and the forum would be spammed with links.

Ravindra Joisa
Ravindra Joisa
from Bangalore
10 years ago

I agree.. many who are new to blogging do that..Smile

No one is following this anymore, it seems IndiPolice too are either busy or may be out numbered as so many posts are having links being posted

Arghyadeep Kundu
Arghyadeep Kundu
from Kolkata
10 years ago

You might say so but have you ever noticed how many people go to the Review Section? There are hundreds of blogs out there without any reviews but hardly can you find a thread in the main forum without any response. People don't just care to go over there. And I think that's what is promoting 'shameless self promotion'. We ourselves are responsible for it.

Anamika Menon
Anamika Menon
from Kerala
10 years ago

there is hardly anyone who reviews those blogs. check the forum if you think i am wrong. Many of us joined the indiblogger with the hope of someone someday appreciating and guiding what we write. if self promotion gets people to read the blogs why is it bad? I hav been disheartened to write because nobody basically cares expect for their blogs. Its also wierd when I write something in my own mother tongue and somebody who doesnt even know the language votes for it. things around here doesnt work the way it is supposed to be. trust me indi ranks is not the  reason why someone should write more posts. it should be motivation and appreciation

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

If self promotion gets people to read the blogs why is it bad?

Not always. Will someone care to open self promoting threads if the forum is filled with them? 

CyberKID
from India
10 years ago

As you've pointed out the problem with people not responding to Blog Reviews, I would like to add a few things. It's true that now most people do not review blogs. We have about 2525 blog review requests that have gone unreplied against a total of 8225 blog reviews submitted (Stats based on 25 review requests per page multiplied by number of pages 101 and 329 resp. for unreplied and total number of requests).

The point, as far as I've understood, behind Blog reviews was to give and get reviews. There are a bunch of people like Aditya Dey who regularly review blogs. But, most of the people who ask for review never turn back to their request to atleast thank the reviewer let alone review other's blogs. I was doing it enthusiastically, till some time back, and was asking people to do it, but, now, I too have lost that enthusiasm of reviewing other's blog, although, I still hold that you get to learn enough from blog review requests. My own request, that I made about 5 months back, has only one review. How can someone be so much enthusiastic to only give and not get anything in return.

As far as other things go, I support that Indirank isn't a reason one should write posts. Infact, IndiBlogger is just a very small platform which sends a very small amount of traffic to your blog. And people who vote for blog posts which they do not even understand are just doing it for the sake of doing it. It  is completely useless. Things don't work themselves. We've got to get things working the way we want.

To the point regarding self promotion "shameless", I would say - How would you find watching only advertisements on your tv instead of that movie or daily soap? Annoying na? Then you've got your answer.

Madhu Bhardwaj
Madhu Bhardwaj
from NOIDA
10 years ago

This thread has become relevant again as we see shameless self promotion in various disguises in the threads. 

Also the language seems to be degenerating with words that are quite rude being used.

People who hate to be part of you said-I said are keeping away.

Comraderie is fading.

Is this the beginning of the end....?

@Renie I just read the entire thread and your response made 4 years ago. I think we need a fresh response and clear cut rules that apply to all and not just some.

Too much arbitrariness is happening now.

Stagg Mann
from Stagg Landd
10 years ago

I agree, these threads have been picking up again lately. Self promotion should be an absolute no-no. I get that getting recognition is why we are all here, but self promotion is a seemingly easy shortcut that actually does nothing other than spamming forums and irritating others. But despite all that, it is still very tempting to fall into that habit, and when more and more bloggers do it everyday and go unpunished, the temptation increases.

Sripadi Sravankumar
Sripadi Sravankumar
from Hyderabad
10 years ago

Yes, Prashant I agree to your point. But it is also nessary to promote our writtings and one should find a right way to promote thier one. I to hope this selfpromtion will be stopped even after your forumm....... Good point that is to be raisen and u did it....Laughing

Have a nice day...

Sripadi Sravankumar.

Nandini Deka
from Bombay
10 years ago

for promotion you have "indivine" you can promote 3 posts each day on it

Shantanu Banerjee
Shantanu Banerjee
from Mumbai
10 years ago

deleted a SSP link on a thread I created three months back, I wasn't aware of SSP then, now that I am regular in Indiblogger and have been a part to so many discussion I think its important we should keep this platform spam free. it feels good to engage in indiblogger activities without doing ssp and getting criticism for it. and believe me your blog will get promoted automatically if you are a regular on Indiblogger doesn't matter if you are promoting with links or not.

CyberKID
from India
10 years ago

I hope others too understand the importance of keeping the forum clean, the way you did, Shantanu.Smile

Sammya Brata
Sammya Brata
from Kolkata
10 years ago

Just like wanted to ask something before it appears to be too foolish...I have requested for my blog review and very few people actually reply to that thread :(

Is there a way to ask them directly? Indimail maybe?

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Ask other bloggers to review by sending them an IndiMail? Surprised

It depends. If the other bloggers are your friends and they don't mind receiving the review requests then it's fine. Try it with a few people whom you think won't mind receiving the mail. If a majority of them review your blog, then your approach is right, else it's not correct.

But, generally speaking, I think IndiMail is not meant to be used that way. Innocent

Sanjana Mehra
Sanjana Mehra
from New Delhi
10 years ago

Agreed...it should not go to the point of showing off!

Tejasvi Rana
Tejasvi Rana
from New Delhi
10 years ago

Yes absolutely right.. if you keep writing in good spirits your blog will be noticed one day..

ANOOP YADAV
from Lucknow
10 years ago

hey I agree wid u.

ANOOP YADAV
from Lucknow
10 years ago

What's name of your blog dear :)

I totally agree with the views made by Sahil. The only negative impact of self-promotion is that it may tend to crowd out the real topic being discussed. I think that using strong words like 'Shameless' is too judgemental. There is nothing like 'Shameless Self Promotion'. Indiblogger or for that matter, any other Blogger Groups are a collection of bloggers who are passionate about blogging and feel that they have something special to say. What is wrong with promoting your blogs? Who are we to judge if something is 'Shameful' or not. That it crowds out real discussion, that may be a possiblity.

Ram

LockSign in to reply to this thread