CyberKID would like you to review his/her blog.
[ http://www.diaryofatechie.com ] IndiRank: 29

Review for my personal blog - Diary of a techie

CyberKID
CyberKID
from India
8 years ago

Though, I'm in the blogging world for some time now, and most of the veterans out there don't have time to review people's blogs, I still seek to get my blog reviewed, from veterans and n00bs alike, since both, veterans and n00bs can always help you get better.

Background to the Blog: I like calling myself a "techie", because I am one who likes to indulge in tech stuff almost all the time. Somwhere down, I had a feeling that the lives of techies are misunderstood a lot. We techies too have lives beyond the tech we love. This blog is an effort to put up my life beyond the tech side (though, I still haven't put up my "techie" side in any of the blogs yet). But then, since a techie's life revolves around tech, it is bound to be vastly affected by it. And hence Diary of a Techie, where I put stuff from my life, beyond tech and also ones that have tech in it.

Replies 1 to 4 of 4

Welcome to Personal Blogging Smile

CyberKID
from India
8 years ago

Thanks SarmaLaughing

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
8 years ago

The main page displays the entire content. It should be an excerpt and a featured image. It makes it easier to read. More article headlines can be seen in a screen and the amount of time taken to scroll down is significantly lesser. It also helps to decrease bounce rate. People who are interested will open the article, and those who are not will check the older posts. Having an image carousel helps. Since you're using blogspot, probably there's a dedicated HTML code or some service like Imgur which gives an embedded code for image galleries. Other than that, nothing much to say. It's a personal site. Not the colour combination I would go for, but at least I can read it. 

Yeah, no1 appreciates good techies. We're like a free tech support sometimes. I don't mind but on a regular basis its just too much. 

CyberKID
from India
8 years ago

Thanks for the insights, TS. I guess one of them is worth taking a look at, like the one to give away just excerpt on the home page.

As far as the slider on the header is concerned, I think it won't suit this blog. My other blog (the gardening blog) has a slider like the one you suggested, since I found it easy to put up images.

I beg to differ on the last point. People appreciate good techies that's the reason good techies are sought after for free tech support. :P

First of all, let me congratulate you on your venturing into personal blogging, something that I always knew you would do eventually. Your posts make your essays on the forum look tiny. There is so much to read and the post on Flipkart echoed my thoughts. Write more and if possible venture into fiction. I'm sure you would be a great story teller(techie).

I never got a chance to say this on your forum responses becuase that was not the correct place for that, but here I can say this since you are asking for reviews.

Dude, go easy on commas Tongue out

Take this sentance for eg:

There are plans for more of them, but, I don't think that I will work on them any further, since working on these things take a lot of time, which is something I do not have a lot to spare.

Or this.

Let me tell you, I am an avid shopper (yeah, you might have seen or read avid reader, but avid shopper, really?) Well, that's for me, and a million other Indians who find Flipkart much closer to their heighbourhood grocery store, had you been selling us groceries as well, you would have been something bigger than what you are today, and the grocers in this country would have all stood up against you. This, by all means is appreciation for the great work you do

Why does the but (in the first case) need to be encased in the two commas Tongue out. I donno if it is grammatically correct, but it certainly is making the reading a bit more difficult than what it would have been if you used lesser commas and more sentences.

PS: I haven't read the Hindi Post on your blog.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
8 years ago

PS: I haven't read the Hindi Post on your blog.

You didn't read it because you don't know Hindi? :D

I can't read and understand at the same time.

CyberKID
from India
8 years ago

I'm really thankful to you for your review of the blog. I'm trying to explore more sides of my writing, and hopefully will come down to something like fiction. Tongue out

About the commas, I'm not very good in English, and hence things in my writing go with the gut feeling. When I feel like using something, I do it. :D

Thanks for that great review. I'll take that suggestion of not overdoing those punctuation marks (commas) a lot. Let's see if I suceed in that in the upcoming posts. Smile 

Just 4 commas in four lines. Tongue out

I don't mind commas, semicolons and even colons; they exist for a reason. Laughing Now the modern reader is trying hard to forget how to read sentences and this makes it hard for people, such as I, who were brought up the old-fashioned way, that is to say, with proper grammar and the skills to perform clause analyses and sentence parsing.

This is probably the reason people don't read my blog also; because they can't. So learn from my mistakes, CK and repent. :)

I do think you have a couple of extra commas where you don't need them, so I'd break up sentences a bit for the modern readers.The sentence

The dark background is also something many people complain about. I had violent arguments about that a few years ago when I was building a Sharepoint site.

I can read Hindi but it takes too long now.... so did not read it.

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
8 years ago

The colours used for text look too garish. Try going for something better.

When the post is too long - for example, the wall decor post, add a page break so that only the first few paragraphs are shown on the main page. 

Create FB and twitter pages for your blog. Many people prefer following blogs through SNs rather than email subscriptions.

Remove navbar.

Money mouth

CyberKID
from India
8 years ago

Thanks for your review r.

I guess I am a habitual long post writer. Can't help it. Don't know why this never came up in exams where I was supposed to write really long answers for 20 marks.

Navbar removed. Will look into yours and TS' suggestion about the text colour. But this one being a dark background, I thought a lighter font colour will be better so settled down for this light blue instead of white. Seems this isn't doing a great work.

Remove the dark background as well