Nikhil Chandra would like you to review his/her blog.
[ http://www.nikhilchandra.in/ ] IndiRank: 46

New Template Review

Nikhil Chandra
Nikhil Chandra
from Delhi
8 years ago

Fellow Indis, would you take a few moment off from your busy schedule to let me know what you think of the new template that I am using. It it user friendly of not? Should I continue with it or should I go for any other simpler template. Please recommend a few templates if you could. Do consider that I mostly right about my travel experience and include a lot of images.

Thanks in Advance

Nikhil

Replies 1 to 6 of 6
Ivan Bayross
Ivan Bayross
from Mumbai
8 years ago

The template has nice clean lines.Loads fast enough.

The header section is too plain.

The catch phrase:Quote:Travel revelations, photography, musings, life and Web 2.0UnQuote:

For me the font size is too small. the grey font color made it difficult to read on a darker grey background.

My Suggestion:

Use your catch phrase as the Header of your site. When site visitors land on your page they will immediately have an idea of what your site is all about.

Make: Bricolage by Nikhil Chandra a smaller font below the headline.

The template is a typical PI type template. A header bar, followed by 3 columns.

The left and right columns: The column content does not reach the top but starts at some arbitrary point below the top.

I believe this is a coding issue.

If the structure has been created using a table, then each table column should have a valign='top' added within the HTML table column code. That will ensure that the column content will start right from the top of the column.

If the structure has been created using a DIV then align="top" should do the trick. 

Link Colors:

The link colors are light green. Far too many people on the net are accustomed to seeing links in the typical navy blue.  Hence, few will identify these as links.

The Blog post headlines:

Color light green.  On mouse hover changes to Black. This is capable of putting off a site visitor. 

READ MORE:

Most Blog visitors are accustomed to seeing a READ MORE link under the Blog post excerpt. In your case its the Blog post header that takes the site visitor to the actual Blog post.It took me a few seconds to work out how to get to your Blog post content.  I've been blogging for about 22 years now.

Excerpt Font size and color: The font-size is really small and the color is a very light grey (on my laptop) + I use glasses.

My suggestion: Make the excerpt font size just a little bigger and the color a slightly darker grey.

These sort of issues will add to your website's Bounce off rate. They cut down site visitor engagement drastically.

Your Popup:

Your call to action says:

Quote:Sign up today for free and be the first to get notified on new updates.UnQuote:

Now take a step back and ask yourself: Why will I part with my primary Email Address when I encounter this popup?What's my driver to respond to your Call To Action?

Most site owners make site visitors an offer they cannot refuse via a Popup. That's the only way to get registrations and build a mailing list.

May be you can offer:

A one on one, half hour consultancy on how to plan a terrific holiday.This could happen on Skype (or international readers) OR Phone OR even in person at a Cafe Coffee Day.

You could offer a half Sunday Meetup, at a Coffee shop somewhere. Over coffee, help others get more bang for buck during their travels.

Offer a discounted tickets (or other service) via a - Friendly Travel Agent.

Stuff like that will give you a ton of registrations. A dynamic mailing list. An opportunity to turn your passion for travel into money in the bank.

On a final note You have a really terrific, story telling style of writing. Not many Bloggers are blessed with such a style. Great work.

Hope this helps.

Warmly,

Ivan Bayross

Shatakshi K
Shatakshi K
from Kolkata
8 years ago

After such an in-depth study by Ivan all I can say is agree. :D Also, the left 'subscribe' plugin/widget doe snot go ith the overall look of the blog, stands as an eyesore. You might want to change it to a more pleasing widget. I also found the 3 column format a waste of space, especially since you don't have much on either side. They can be combined into a single sidebar. Good luck.

Nikhil Chandra
Nikhil Chandra
from Delhi
8 years ago

Thank you Ivan and Shatakshi for your feedback.

I have changed the template as well as coloor scheme of my site. Now I am using 2 column format only. Could you please have a look and share your feedback?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Rajesh Naik
Rajesh Naik
from BANGALORE
8 years ago

HI Nikhil,

The current template is neat and appealing.

Navgation is smooth.

Rajesh Naik

Nikhil Chandra
Nikhil Chandra
from Delhi
8 years ago

Thank you Rajesh...Yes I too liked this template and I am also thinking of more customization to make it look more professional. Will let you know once I do the changes. Thanks for your feedback.

Wonderful travel blog Nikhil... As all f those above me has said I also agree with Ivan. Your header needs to be a little more catchy if you want more travel bloggers and readers to come your way. Your writing is nice and informative so it's a bonus, plus the pictures are nice too. Ladakh by bus from Delhi? wow awesome.. WIsh you lots of fun and amazing travels ahead :)

Hemangini L Patel Raj
from Bengalore
8 years ago

I tried commeting but it's not happening.. might want to look into that too