Visitor Goals and Metrics- What should be tracked?

Rumbaho.com
Rumbaho.com
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

I'be been spending time with Google Analytics and have been struggling to figure out what my goals should be. I also need direction on traffic generation. I believe that the quality of my posts is good (like every other blogger out there) but I don't know what to focus on when it comes to metrics.

This one is for the more experienced bloggers here. I request the newer bloggers to stay out of this discussion until there is enough data to warrant a Q&A session in a different thread..

A.) What's a good target for a new blog for the following:

A.1.) Good average time on site?

A.2.) Pages per visit

A.3.) Search engine referrals

A.4.) Non-bounce visitors

A.5.) Traffic per month - here you can share your own experiences (maybe over your first few months of actual focus on the blog) so that others can get some idea of where they stand.

B.) Any other metric that should be tracked...?

C.) And what do you recommend to a new blogger on how to achieve the metrics above?

D.) As an experienced blogger, what metrics do you track and why?

E.) Anything else that you can think of can be mentioned as well.

Please Note:

Please be brief, but not incomplete.

And please answer in the order given above so that the replies are easy to read and understand. It would be much appreciated if you can answer with the ABC's and 123's as well so it is clear which question is being answered.

Kindly keep the "your site looks wonderful" and "your post was awesome" comments out of this thread and please stick to the point so that it could serve as a valueable thread for blogging beginners who want to understand where to start.

Also please avoid pointless statements like "good idea <mybloggerfriend>". You all have things to share, so please share them. Debating is good, as long as you stick to the points above. So if you disagree with something that another blogger has said/suggested, please share your view with the ABC/123 as given above.

Also, I request that experienced bloggers take an interest in this thread and actually share your knowledge. This would be something painful/boring to type since there is so much data that has been asked for, but it would be very helpful to others here.

So, please share. It would be interesting and wonderful (hopefully) to see how many of you share your knowledge here for the benefit of others.

Replies 1 to 2 of 2 Descending

@Rumbaho, thanks for this educative points put up. 

i am nil in seo, but have the affinity to learn new things. the first very point of time spent on web site. i searched google and found a great explanation by a blogger. slowly I am getting things in place. 

time spent on web site and time spent on page, ts & tp,

well , i didn'tknow that time spent on blog is recorded too, and well, learning things now. 

good topic raised. rumbaho. 

Rumbaho.com
Rumbaho.com
from Hyderabad
12 years ago
Not getting responses. Hmmm. Here are some tips on tracking metrics http://heidicohen.com/blog-metrics/ It's not mine, just came across it. It's relevant even to those who don't want to do sales. You may get 1000 visits a day, but what the visits mean is important.
Rumbaho.com
from Hyderabad
12 years ago
Typing from a phone seems to cause a problem with paragraphs.

LockSign in to reply to this thread