Buying a domain

Sriharsha
Sriharsha
from Bangalore
15 years ago

Hi friends, I decided to get a domain (.com) name for my blog (blogger). I selected a name and it is costing me around $10 per year. But one of my friend said that I even need a host. Is he correct ? He also said that I should renew the hosting charges every month, which I can't afford. So please help me out. I can only pay for domain name. My blog URL is

http://hunterforyou.blogspot.com

Replies 1 to 7 of 7 Descending
Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
15 years ago

Hi Sri, yes your friend was right about hosting. You need to buy a hosting for a domain. However, that is half true when you wish to continue to blog on Blogspot.

Blogspot offers you a feature where you can have a personal domain of yours and have it linked to your same blogspot domain you have.

You just need to pay for your domain name. Also, you can look for offers by some companies which offer you low price that $10. Indiatimes is one such company. The fee will be discounted for the first year, but then on, you would be charged normally. Other one is Unitechost. You can also book for multiple years which indirectly gives your domain some ground on Google.

I suggest you read the following post which will help you set up a Domain to Google.

Is it good to use domain name with blogspot hosting platform 

Happy blogging

Sriharsha
from Bangalore
15 years ago

thank you very much, there is little more to clarify though Laughing

I will read the post first

Healthy Living India
Healthy Living India
from Bombay
15 years ago

When you mean a host, are you referring to server space? In which case yes you do. The domain name is lietrally just that - a name.

In order to get your blog up and running - posts, pictures et al, you need to have server space. Currently all your files (pictures, posts etc) are sitting on Google's servers somewhere. They offer this hosting service free hence they tag on Google everywhere.

Hosting charges are higher than domain charges but certainly nothing that will break your bank. I am not sure of the details your friend gave you but I know of server space for INR 5000 for a year - unlimited space - definitely no biggie.

cheers!

Prashant.

Sriharsha
from Bangalore
15 years ago

As I said, I can't afford paying 5000 per year. I am a student and spending more money on blog would be big deal in my dad's view :D

Healthy Living India
from Bombay
15 years ago

@Sriharsha: Ah oops! Then go with the Blogger+domain route that everyone recommends!

cheers!

Prashant.

Sriharsha
from Bangalore
15 years ago

Ok thank you very much... I will make the points simple now to make no further confusions..

(1) I have xyz.blogspot.com

(2) I will bu a domain xyz.com

(3) I will do my postings through blogger's.com

(4) My visitors can enter from both  xyz.blogspot.com and xyz.com

Please take a sec to reply this, because I can't waste my money spending while I am ina confusion state. And please give a review  of my blog.

Thanks in advance,

Sriharsha

Amit Surana
Amit Surana
from Bangalore
15 years ago

@sriharsha

I bought 2 domains. One from ZnetIndia (costed me 500INR), and one from GoDaddy which costed me $10 + 80INR for using my credit card for international transxn . In short I paid 580INR to GoDaddy.

If u need server space just for Blogging then I am sure you can get cheap deals say, 100MB space, etc for 100 INR/Month.

But if you use Blogger, you just need a domain name. You can ask Blogger to redirect all users visiting your domain to your blog. I am doing this only.

Sriharsha
from Bangalore
15 years ago

I just want to use blogger.

That means I need to buy only the domain, right ?

And so after that whatever I post in blogger will be able to  see through the new domain.

Amit Surana
from Bangalore
15 years ago

Yes. All links to blogger ll be redirected appropriately.

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
15 years ago
(1) I have xyz.blogspot.com(2) I will bu a domain xyz.com(3) I will do my postings through blogger's.com(4) My visitors can enter from both  xyz.blogspot.com and xyz.com

Sri... there is no confusion. Clear hai. It will work.

Blogspot will divert traffic to your blog if some one hits your blog at hunterforyou.blogspot.com. You don't loose the page rank.

Sriharsha
from Bangalore
15 years ago

Thank you very much.

ha ha ha. I have no page rank. I have started this on Jan 1st only... And can you do me a favour by giving a review for my blog :)

And so if i go for  "hunterforyou.blogspot.com" I will be redirected to xyz.com, right ? with all new URL's for my blog posts

Without web space, a domain name is useless. If the method indicated by Hemal works, that will not cause you a paisa, otherwise you will have to buy web space for your domain name.

I don't think web spaces will cost you Rs. 5000. I remember paying only Rs. 750 for a year for a 50 MB space on a linux server.

The hosting company was GoHindi. There are a number of such companies.

I later shifted my domain to BlueHost and paid Rs. 12,000 for a three year period. That works out to Rs. 4,000 a year. This host gives me unlimited space and a number of other frills which you might not even need if you just plan to host your blog.

But also be warned that running your blog on your domain name will require some facility with html, PHP, mysql, and a host of other web technologies. So unless you are a geek, you should thing twice before you venture into self-hosting your blog.

Otherwise, all your time will go in setting up your blog or maintaining it and you will little time for blogging.

S K G Rao
S K G Rao
from Bangalore
15 years ago

You need a www for AdSence is't it,and that's the basic qualification Google needs for AdSence.Am I rught.

Healthy Living India
from Bombay
15 years ago

Nope. You can run Adsense off a blogspot URL as well.

leon
leon
from kolkata
15 years ago

If your blog is geniune and can promise me that you won't do it for blog farm or other  you can msg me . I can help you host it for free.

LockSign in to reply to this thread