What do you expect from a review?

Leo
Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

A lot of us, me included, ask Indibloggers to review their blog. What do you expect to see in a review? Is it just praise for your blog, or where you can improve? We know of a blogger's code of conduct, should there be one for reviewers too? Tell in so & so way, don't expect a review for urs if you review some1.. etc etc... 

Your opinions please...

Replies 1 to 8 of 8 Descending
Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

An Honest opinion - whether long or short (one word excluded :P)/ praise or critique - as long as i feel the review is honest, true and written straight from the heart, it serves very well for me.

Reviewing back is also a good practice since it mutually benefits both the parties involved and also helps in building bonds sometimes.

Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

One words are excluded by default, or atleast they should be IMO too. It's quite hideous to ask for wher to improve and get nothing with one word!

Reviewing back is good, very true.. but do you review even if its not a blog of your liking? Taking a hypothetical e.g. : A chef who has a blog may like your travel blog and review but do you review back even if you don't like reading food recipes and etc?

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Yep, I will still review back. Since I dont have any interest in the content, as you have said, I wont have anything to say in that regard but can still provide a feedback on template, theme and other design related factors that also form very much an important part of what makes a blog. What are your thoughts on this?

Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

Yes, I see your point Smile I'll use them too, soon.. I like to be part of that part of forum! (hyperactive forumer these days! more on the IndiTalk though Tongue out)

Shezah
Shezah
from Delhi
12 years ago

I think it should be a balance of the good and the bad. I haven't had my blog reviewed yet, I'm new here and just enjoying the giving reviews process. But when people stumble on my blog and they say something nice - I'm genuinely over the moon about it because it's an honest comment. For me an ideal review would be - something they liked about the blog, somethings they disliked and any recommends they may have of changing it and maybe an example of a post they liked/disliked to let me know what kind of content works with my audience. 

I get a little irritated with the habit some reviewers have of just leaving one worded comments like "Awesome. Please review my blog too". I'm not saying that small comments aren't valuable - everything is an equal motivator but as long as it's a genuine one.

Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

I've had reviews, and it's been so far so good. I've had a balance of the good and bad, like u say... and I give reviews too.. I do read most kind of blogs, so I just hop in random... 

A nice comment would send me over the moon too, but if I felt it was honest... Now that I know what you find a good review to be, it's easier for me to do so :D And it'll be more than one word without a request to review mine too. Like I said to Arti, to each blogger a choice is always there..  (sometimes I forget that, but a timely reminder I must try to give myself) 

Shraddha
Shraddha
from Mumbai
12 years ago

well...most of us when we ask for review want to hear some good, sprinkled with some critique. I personally wont really like all "goody goody" reviews, coz though it boosts my ego and all, I won't really learn anything from it... Like they say, "you learn the best when you fail"

as for reviewing back...I might review back even if the blog content are not "my type', coz I think saying that the content is not my type, is also a type of review, isn't it? It might help the blogger know the type and percentage of peopl who are interested in his writing.

but again, what I find good or bad is completely relative to ME. and sometimes when I hear people reviewing without really reading through or understanding the point of view, MY point of view...I might just dismiss those reviews. Cool

so, to cut a long story short, if you review post reading...i would respect you more as a reviewer, but if i feel you are reviewing just coz u think u aught to... then you better not

Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

yes. that is very much a type! Smile good point, I'll reviews some blogs soon! Laughing it might help the writer if some genuinely usable comments on the template or layout come too! Tongue out

review if you want to, not have to Innocent good points!

Nikhil Poddar
Nikhil Poddar
from Kolkata
12 years ago

I expect a review first...HAHAHAHA... its been 3 days, I've got no reviews LOL.  

but you knw, seriosly answering the question, I would want a person to be constructive while criticising.. 

Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

3 days? Surprised is that all? Innocent there are actually people who've put up for reviews ages back, and yet to get a reply Tongue out depends on people, Nikhil. Some review quickly, some don't. Depends on their opinion of the blog I suppose Cool

Constructive criticism... yes, that'd be very good for sure! Smile I've checked out your blog.. Might review it sometime.. Innocent Undecided depends on my workload at office and my fickle short-term memory mainly.  Laughing Cheers!

Chaitanya Kulkarni
Chaitanya Kulkarni
from Mumbai
12 years ago

review is an evaluation of a publication, a product or a service. here blogs are not products or services. so opinion could be enough. review != opinion. [!=not equal to]. Only an expert can evaluate, thousands of others can have thousands of different opinions.

Micky Fernandez
Micky Fernandez
from Kolkata
12 years ago

Expect? Harsh criticism of the appearance and content of my blog.

Want? Favourable comments.

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
12 years ago

The only thing I expect from a review: Honesty

Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I agreeSmile

Gayathri
Gayathri
from Chennai
12 years ago

Ways to improve my writing and suggestions if any..! Just be open minded and provide useful criticizm..

LockSign in to reply to this thread