Does managing multiple blogs comlicate matters?

Afsha
Afsha
from Mumbai
15 years ago

You know I've noticed, getting people to come and stay on one blog is difficult enough but for a person like me with three blogs it's torture. Imagine the number of muses I need to employ to keep the posts rolling!? So my question is simple - should we be concentrating on one blog, letting it establish and flourish before going out and creating another one? Or shall we go with the attitude that more means mighty? xoxo

http://www.blabberbug.blogspot.com/

http://www.worldatrandome.blogspot.com/

Replies 1 to 9 of 9 Descending
Hashir Tufail
Hashir Tufail
from Unnao, Bangalore
15 years ago

@Afsha,

depends. If you are really clear about what you are going to write in what blog, it is no issue at all. E.g. - if you have a blog for poems, another for stories, and a third which is a personal blog - then you know what you are going to post where. 

The benefit of having multiple blogs is that you get similar stuff at one place, which is really organized, and easy to search for.

Dr Pushkar
Dr Pushkar
from Mumbai
15 years ago
I think having a couple of niche blogs is a very good idea, but if you are writing everything under the sun then a single multi-category blog should be your choice coz its very difficult to handle & keep up with multiple blogs.
Sourish
Sourish
from Varanasi
15 years ago

it depends...I maintain 4 blogs

One is creative content and general life style

one is for deep political ****s

one is for just random which i don't kno where to put up..

and the last one is private where I vent out my anger frustration and lust...

and I feel every category is quite different..and not always i update all...I update what I  feel like and if u really want to blog..don't think about who will read...people will find u though....

You will eventually have to go the way of multi-blogging, otherwise your single blog with end up becoming a bhanumati ka pitara.

This is particularly so if you take interest in diverse subject and write on them too.

I am a multi-blogger myself. I have three blogs, my hold-all blog jaihindi, which is my first blog into which I used to stuff everything. But it soon became too unweildy.

I then wanted to write a tutorial on C programming and even I could see that including that into jaihindi would make it burst at the seems. So I spawned off a new blog printf-scanf.

I thent wanted put a Hindi translation of a Malayalam classic that I had done onto blogsphere. Again jaihindi would have crashed if I had stuffed it into it and clearly this was a subject that couldn't go into a blog on C programming. That is how my third blog keralpuran came into being.

A have a couple of more ideas churning in my mind, and very soon blogosphere is going to be plagued more of my new blogs.

The traffic issue won't be such a problem if the subject of the different blogs are mutually exclusive as in my case. In fact, it will improve traffic. Take my own case. If had stuffed all my posts including the Malayalam thing and the C programming articles into my jaihindi blogs, my readers would have been so disgusted that they would not have deigned to touch my blog with a barge pole. So I would have lost readership by having a single blog.

Adesh Sidhu
Adesh Sidhu
from Gurgaon
15 years ago

Like people have siad it is good to have multiple niche blogs. But starting all at the same time can prove to be cumbersome.

My suggestion would be to build audience on one blog and then start another. Your regular readers will trip over to new blog and you will start with decent readership.

leon
leon
from kolkata
15 years ago

actually both have the advantage , if you are already started 3 blog try going side by side and chances of one getting more successful is easier then maybe you can focus more on the more popular one

Afsha
from Mumbai
15 years ago

yeah, this is what i'm doing right now. perhaps one day i'll scrap one of and just continue to add onto the other! let's get established then, shall we?

Vinay Bavdekar
Vinay Bavdekar
from Mumbai
15 years ago

If you plan to be regular about blogging in complete separate categories, it is actually good to have separate blogs for them. Otherwise as Balsubramaniam said, your single blog will become a huge mess and with not much identity of itself. But yes, it is difficult to manage multiple blogs.

Afsha
from Mumbai
15 years ago

thank you for the advice... i'm definitely going to start working something out! xoxo

Healthy Living India
Healthy Living India
from Bombay
15 years ago

@Afsha: How would you describe your blogs? What's the difference between the two?

cheers!

Prashant.

Afsha
from Mumbai
15 years ago

Good question - well one's a little personal (blabberbug) and the other, i would like to think is more about the world as i see it (worldatrandome) and the last one is fictional. So my whole predicament lies in the first two blogs because there's not much of a differentiation between them. :(

Healthy Living India
from Bombay
15 years ago

Sounds like you've answered your own question... combine them...

~Prashant.

Harsh Agrawal
Harsh Agrawal
from New Delhi
15 years ago

@ Afsha

Though you are on blogspt, but if you wish to switch to wordpress, I will suggest try wordpress multi user , with that you can easily manage channel of blogs.

http://www.shoutmeloud.com/

Afsha
from Mumbai
15 years ago

yeah i've thought of wordpress time and time again. but i've never been able to make the switch. it's like changing your cell phone number... it's a pain even if just the last digit that's about to be different. thanks for the advice anyway... love your blog!

LockSign in to reply to this thread