How much should I charge for advertising space on my blog?

Sauvik
Sauvik
from Kolkata
12 years ago

Hi, 

I recieved an advertising offer from an agency today. They have various sizes  160x600, 240x400, 300x250, 336x280, 468x60, 728x90 of banners pre -set. I have to quote a price for whichever banner i select to put up on my site. Now, am stumped. How much should I charge? No idea, can somebody please help?

Replies 1 to 6 of 6 Descending
DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Congos for the offer Sauvik. Thats a good achievement for your blog. Sorry, I dont know the answer to your query though.
Sauvik
from Kolkata
12 years ago

Hi DS,

Thanks so much! I guess, i got it by sheer good luck, and I dont even know on parameters my site has been selected :-( I was thinking of quoting something around 10k/month, but dunno... :-) Actually a frnd of mine, who's a online planner of sorts, and judging by the analytics data she recomended a fee of 8k -10k. Need to get the details from her, so that I can post it here, in case somebody needs it as a reference. 

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

First Congrats for the offer you have got. Was it your first achievement?

And coming to the money you should be charging, even I have no idea?

What I would suggest is that start with a higher price saying it to be negotiable so that you don't end up asking for money much lower than what they are willing to pay.

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Quoting too high can turn them away too.
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

That's true. I was saying about quoting a bit higher after knwoing the actual rate which most advertisers pay for a site with some particular stats.

For instance, if the recommended price is Rs 5000, it is better taht we quote 6000 instead of 5000

Sauvik
from Kolkata
12 years ago

HI Ranjith, Well, yes... even I was surprised that I bumped into this. :-) Quoting a bit on the higher side, might prove deterrent for them. Plus, I am not really aware of the market standards. somewhere i see people charging as less as 10$ and somewhere else its 200$ :-) tempting!

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

I remember someone starting a similar thraed but it was about the payment that the blogger had received from similar ads . Now, where did that thread go. I only remember that it was an environmental blog...

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Could not find it Frown

Mohini Puranik
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

Sauvik, I have seen some ad site which calculates worth of your each word...I forgot it's name but you can search some ad programes you will find that site. It gives an idea about the rate. I will share if I find it once again.

Sauvik
from Kolkata
12 years ago

HI mohinee, thanks for giving me the lead, did some googling cant find any such site, most of them are discussing forums without much conclusion. I post it in the thread if I bump into one.

Anwesha Bose
Anwesha Bose
from Delhi
12 years ago

Hey Sauvik!

I just checked your blog ranking (Alexa Traffic Rank: 3,072,229). As per this, the ad should not be rated too high. Keep the quitation within 50$ pm

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

And what about GPR? Doesn't that count?

Sauvik
from Kolkata
12 years ago

Anwesha: I dont think Alexa is a good pointer of it(or the sole pointer), I mean, i dont know, i have seen alexa ranking fluctuate so much over a small period of time, that I find it a difficult parameter to weigh the the site. May be you'r right, coz my I found out in another such blog post that we should start out without inflating the amounts, to make some foothold in this space. 

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

payperpost.com is something similar to what Mohini said but here, it calculates the money we may expect for a sponsored article on our blog.

LockSign in to reply to this thread