Why people vote posts they don't read ?

GvSparx
GvSparx
from Delhi
12 years ago

I have been observing this for quite long. people hardly read certain posts but would surely vote them on indiblogger. I find it difficult to understand. Is it an effort to increase their visibility or what? I can't understand 20-30 people bloggers reading a post without leaving any comment. 

The competitions have also encouraged blind voting.

I don't think such votes encourage any blogger, so I urge all fellow indies not to vote without reading (especially on my posts).

Replies 1 to 14 of 14 Descending
Nice points raised, gaurav, but ideology of different people is different. One cannot do anything about it. Votes are no criteria in any contests, so there is no point of blind votes. There are some who read , like , and just vote, to affirm they liked. You can not question why he didn't comment. I read, comment, on most, with my genuine likes. But I do miss some to comment. Due to time restraints or when I do this from mobile. It's tough to comment from mobile. But some write up compels me' to strain myself to pen something on it. It's a matter of perception. One has to be clever enough to locate valuable reader and keep him coming to his site. That can only be done when he too finds time to go to the persons site, and comment back. With talent abounding overnet.
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

You can't retain readers by reading all their posts. A book author has a million readers. He is not reading stuff written by the million readers. The million readers pay to read stuff written by him. So if we are bloggers worth our salt, there should be at least 100 readers willing to read our stuff at least for free without expecting us to read theirs back. If people are doing me a favor by reading what I write, then that means I am writting shit and I had better stop writing and do something more productive with my time.

Surendra
Surendra
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

Does people do in that way????? I never done that and i'l never do it in the future

GvSparx
GvSparx
from Delhi
12 years ago

@Pramodji... Votes might not be the criterion but likes have been. People want to be on page 1 of Indivine to get more attension. Votes do get your link and beautiful photograph under a post. these all things matter to people.

@TS.. In short you do agree..

@AKM..." I get comments which point to where I can improve myself." well that is what a blogger really looks for and rarely gets.

@leo... People like you do exist but it can't be like you get votes from one person everytime without a single footprint...

@Surendra... That's good :)

Rumbaho.com
Rumbaho.com
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

It's best to focus on your writing and leave the voting worries to the politicians.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
12 years ago

In that we shouldn't have contests where people can win based on voting.

Rumbaho.com
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

Your preaching to the preacher mate! :o)

Rumbaho.com
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

*you're

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I don't preach sir, I am nothing more than captain obvious in this forum, nothing more :).

GvSparx
GvSparx
from Delhi
12 years ago

I agree TS but as we discussed it's not just about the competitions, it's more about the 'visiblity' factor...

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Yeah unfortunately. There's nothing that can be done. Maybe if Indiblogger can have something like blogger of the month, Featured blog and stuff like that, maybe that can work. Give some small gift to the blogger of the month, stuff like that. Monthly/Yearly contests moderated by Indibloggers alone is the only way to get that visibility factor, provided Indibloggers don't do stuff like favourtism and all jazz.

GvSparx
GvSparx
from Delhi
12 years ago

Nothing helps... U need to be an SEO expert, everything else, is just hope Tongue out

DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Why not DISABLE voting for contest posts?? That would solve a lot of problems, like people crying foul at the end of the contest, like people sending Indimail's to vote for their contest entries, like people mass voting in anticipation of getting votes....
Mohini Puranik
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

I am not much active here. I used to read and comment then vote. But sometimes, when I see quickly some posts, by topic if I feel it must be good (itna to guess kar sakten hain), then I promote it, benifit of it is good message which that article or poem is giving get promoted and more people know about it....:). Nothing about contests. I don't open the things related to contests. And if people vote for me without reading the post, still I am thankful to them, as they have given some time to promote my posts, by which it is visible to more people..:)

Arvind Passey
Arvind Passey
from Delhi
12 years ago

This race for indivine votes isn't going to stop. The race for blog rating is also one race that isn't going to stop. The race to join or create a select gang where mutual votes are obvious isn't going to stop. Truth is that when i seriously want to stumble upon some good content I never click on 'popular'... I prefer clicking on either 'latest' or 'random'... infact, 'popular' posts are what i consciously shun.

Now i wouldn't recommend that this category 'popular' be removed... it is as vital as any other because there are a lot of bloggers who thrive on this and it makes them happy. fair enough... who am i to grudge their happiness. I choose my own path and remain happy where i go.

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Voting for contest is very motivating for the guy who receives it, i was one of the first off the block for surf and i find the entry is logged in the last it is sad.  Anyways Gaurav what you have raised is relevant. At least one or two comments if 50 people have voted for you.  

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

You go and vote for all the other entries and watch yours shoot up the ranks.

Sairam Rajamani
Sairam Rajamani
from Bangalore
12 years ago

This is my personal take on this topic.

Rigging and blind promotion (hoping for promoting back) is unavoidable in any forum. In fact, the more popular the forum is the more involved these acts will be. So Indiblogger should be happy that indivine is getting abused. But what indiblogger should do is go to the next level... 

Indiblogger needs to evolve to help bloggers discover other bloggers. Indivine was probably construed as one such thing. But it is getting abused nowadays left, right and center. Indivine should be modified so that when In log in, posts similar to my profile should come on first page automatically. If I am a humour blogger, humour posts should be recommended. IMDB, google news work on these principles.

There are many such steps that Indiblogger can take to keep indivine relevant. 

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Totally agree. There is a thread going on for suggestion for overhauling IndiBlogger. Please post your suggestion there. This is actually a very good suggestion.

Kristy Kumari
Kristy Kumari
from Amritsar
12 years ago

I read and vote for a lot of posts here but I rarely leave a comment. I tend to vote on the post if it is well written, promotes social harmony or speaks out against social injustice. I like to promote posts that have something important, funny or interesting to say. However, they don't always need a comment or inspire me to write a comment. Some posts don't ask any questions to be answered either. I know commenting is good for shameless self promotion but I do try to avoid it anyway lol.

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I am one of those lucky ones who have been blessed by your comments.Smile

Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
12 years ago

It goes like this :

I pat your back, with the hope that you will pat mine. I spend nothing in making one click anyway. 

GvSparx
GvSparx
from Delhi
12 years ago

Somewhere I feel, we need to encourage commenting more...So that the reading and voting looks credible and genuine....That not only encourages a blogger but helps him learn more due to your suggestion... 

LockSign in to reply to this thread