Disable Word Verification for Blogger Comments

GvSparx
GvSparx
from Delhi
12 years ago

I reckon this is what we all want, free flowing comments on our blogs. I observed some bloggers are having certain problems removing word verifications (CAPTCHA,Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers andHumans Apart"), from their comment box. You don't want to ask your users "Are you a human"!!!!!

The new blogger interface doesn't allow for removing that. So you gotta switch back to the older version. Don't worry you can revert to new interface very easily again after completing the procedure.

1. Open blogger.com
  2. Uncheck the "make blogger in draft default"
  3. Re-enter url blogger.com
  4. You see the good old blogger. Click on Settings | Comments
  5. "Show word verification for comments?" third option from the bottom. Set it to "no".
  6. Save settings.

Job done.

You can reach step 5 straight by  http://www.blogger.com/blogoptionscomments.g?blogID=XXX

replace xxx by your complete blog id.

hope it works for ya.

have a nice day :)

Replies 1 to 8 of 8 Descending
Leo
Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

er.. whether they uncheck blogger in draft as default actually depends on if they have checked it in the first place right? :P

and though captcha is quite strenuous for readers, inc. me, its becomes quite essential to some bloggers. I dont think it can be forced on everyone...

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I did not used it earlier when I was on default myblog.blogspot.com but when I took my own domain and and shifted to WP, I started getting a lot of spam and had to install it

GvSparx
GvSparx
from Delhi
12 years ago

I hate that word verification thing!! Leo I think there are very few bloggers who don't have it default! 

Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago
Be that as it may. I may hate it too, G. But I can't push too much for a blogger to remove it so I can comment na? Its their wish. :) thats all m saying.
GvSparx
GvSparx
from Delhi
12 years ago

@Animesh... Par yahan kaam ki cheez koi padta hi nahi hai :D

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

ya padhta hai aur comment nahi kartaWink you know where I am coming from

Nice topic on captcha, great. Bloggers who cherish comments can go ahead n remove captcha. But they have to do some alternate arrangement for spam detection. In wordpress they can install akismet , it's free. It auto detects spam and puts it in another folder. Great service free. On blogspot one can go for intense debate, or disqus etc.
Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago
Intensedebate and Disqus are good. But slow down at times, or even take legit comments as spam. Best would be for a blogspot user to disable verif n enable moderation, so as to be sure only legit comments are accepted.
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

That is exactly what I have done. Also Blogger has automatic spam detection feature. That helps the case too.

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Even akismate does that. I mean marking genuine comments as spam. Like, P's every comment is marked as spam on my blog

Yeh kiya keh rahe ho, mere comments spam, jabki main phrasE bhi likhata hoon
Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I have had trouble of late on my blog. There was spam comments of more than 10,000 characters which were spammed at the rate of 100 per day, taxing my server big time and I have had issues with my blog availability. After I installed Captcha, it has reduced to 3 per day. I am happy with that, and if that means i may get a comment or two less, i am fine with that than having my site taken down.

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Agree @Hemal. This issue is specially felt on self-hosted blogs as far as I am able to understand

Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Agree @ Hemal . Spam control is more important , somebody who really wish to comment ,will for sure comment .

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago
@Animesh very true! Self hosted blogs are more vulnerable since they are not monitored. For all those blogs hosted as a service like wordpress.com or blogger.com, spam filter alerts the team working on spammers and they deal with those elements by either blocking their sites or by blocking access from the ip adress or some mechanism before it becomes a pain in the A. @dhiraj i agree, the one wants to comment will comment for sure, no matter what... Well except if the comment system itself fails :P
Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago
@GA there are other techniques like calculations instead of image verificatin. If u hit my blog and go to comment section, u will see it in action. Before u can press the button to submit the comment, u are asked a simple math question. Like 2+_=13. Now all u have to do is put 11 in field which is the right answer for that sum. I think what irritates u is on Blogger.com, after u hit the submit button, the page loads ans then u see the Catptcha. You click submit again and then ur comment submits. Its certainly a pain when u r on mobile and many a times the captcha is not visible.
GvSparx
GvSparx
from Delhi
12 years ago

Disqus providess good spam control . it has that askismet too ... Works ok for me... Filling a captcha isn't difficult nor that sum thing. But I guess we don't like to do it. I hardly get any spam on my blog. So is the case with over half the blogger community. So I guess, they don't really need captchas. May be high traffic and self hosted blogs like urs do. 

Gaurav, self hosted sites are attacked, I too faced it recently. But akismet is working fine.
umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Thank you very much GAURAV for reminding all bloggers to remover word verification, I get fed up sometimes and stop commenting on some blogs which have word verification despite requesting them to remove it.

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Umesh, word verification becomes necessary sometimes. As Hemal pointed out above and I was also facing the same problem, it is not easy (possible) to moderate hundrededs of comments just to find out that 90% of them are spams.

LockSign in to reply to this thread