India Vs Australia Vs Sri Lanka - 2011... Discuss Here

DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Australia series beckons Team India now. Its a very important away series after they were beaten 4-0 in England. What should be the

• team selection
  • pre match strategies
  • who should play, who dropped
  • live scores, commentary
  • results discussion, etc..

We have been whitewashed again, really has been a pathetic performance by team India.

Will the ODI's give something to cheer about??

Discuss:)

Edited 12 years ago
Reason: :)
Replies 1 to 20 of 107 Descending
DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
I think this should be the squad that should be picked - V Sehwag, G Gambhir, R Dravid, Sachin Tendulkar, Vvs Laxman, Virat Kohli, S Badrinath, MS Dhoni, Zaheer Khan, Umesh Yadav, Ishant Sharma, R Ashwin, P Ojha... Parthiv can be picked as second wicketkeeper. Ajinkya Rahane as reserved opener. We need one more fast bowler, who should it be - Sreesanth, Pravin Kumar, Varun Aaron, Irfan Pathan, R Vinay Kumar???
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I believe Zaheer should be kept out and Irfan Pathan should be bought in.  He needs a chance to prove himself once again.  Rohit Sharma too deserves a chance in the team for his classy style of batting.  Sreesanth should be informed that this will be his final chance.  You have left out Bhajji surprisingly, he will be useful for sledging if not bowling Smile

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

It will be nice if there was a position of non playing vice caption in cricket. Bhajji would have fitted the role very well.

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
@ Umesh Zaheer is selected but his availability is subject to fitness.
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
@ The Fool Lol:) Good one:)
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Selected but subject to fitness is making a mockery of selection process DS

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Zaheer is known to break down in the middle of the series but he is very important for Indian team. His presence has a effect on other bowlers, so this might not be a bungle by the BCCI after all!!!
Vishal Kataria
Vishal Kataria
from Thane
12 years ago

Bhajji has done well against the Aussies. Plus, he's their kryptonite. They'd look to dominate him which would give Bhajji a chance to pick wickets.

It'll b nice 2 see Zak back. I'm not sure if Irfan Pathan has the confidence he did in 2008. M not sure if he's the same bowler anymore. Plus Zak being in the team is a mental boost for team India also. Let's wait and see which team is picked.

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Both sledgers need to be kept out and new comers need to be tested out, i believe lot of talented players are waiting on the benches, they have played enough cricket.  If not Irfan, Yusuf Pathan needs to be given a chance, than we have R P Singh who needs to be given a chance.  Yuvi too is out of form, he needs to be selected as substitute for bowling it is a difficult call for the selectors

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
@ Vishal Bhajji not picked, quite rightly I think, Ashwin pretty much sealed his spot with 2 man of match performances in debut series.
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
@ Umesh Yusuf is injured and also unsuitable for test cricket, I think.

Well as the series is againt Australia we need to have a good spin attach...so taking bhajji in will be a good choice..Rohit Sharma is a class batsman but has not been given ample opportunites so he should be given a chance to prove himself.. Zaheer khan will boost the pace attack....along with ishant sharma and I think pravin kumar should join the company...as he is good at swinging the bowl...and is also consistent with line and length. 

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

There is no point in taking Zaheer if he is not going to last, same thing happened in England.  Can t take chance.  Sreesanth needs a final nod to reform and perform, otherwise he might end up like Kambli complaining.  Bhajji needs rest and he has important things to do before he settles down in life. Just joking let us hope he gets selected Lolz

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Praveen is included though I am not sure how effective he will be in Australian conditions. The ball does not swing as much as it does in England... He does not have pace to trouble the batsmen either.
umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I feel someone of the stature of Naryan Murthy if he not selected for Presidentship should collect Rs 1 per Indian to set up an autonomous sports council to promote all other sports apart from Cricket, see West Indies is gone.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Why from per Indian when those who are professionally involved in cricket earn massive amount of money, so much money that you should call Cricket as a business rather than sport? Do vasooli from the 1%, not from 99%. We pay income tax and we file it. Uber-rich do offshore transactions, evade taxes and on top of it ask for tax exempetion. Now you tell me Umeshji, what makes sense? Taking Rs. 1 per Indian which eventually the money would be eaten by some gasbag- or money from those uber-rich people who unfortunately have their foot in many things, but atleast have the resources to see if their money is well-spent (so that they will promote their product in that sport- see, that's making businessman working for your favour to promote something ;) )

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Roshan for any noble cause we should have good people, pl remember Ranade took up the massive task of building Vivekananda Rock Memorial by asking every Indian to contribute one rupee towards the same.  I believe it is a way to go, don t you think it will a great idea rather than begging the cricketers or BCCI just because they have coffers filled.   It is national issue to be solved by national participation. Pl note that people with incredible integrity like Abdul Kalam, Narayan Moorthy or Kurien should be selected for such a task.  Why should we thrust all the job to team ANNA

Leo
Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

Main 11 - V Sehwag, G Gambhir, R Dravid, S Tendulkar, V Laxman, V Kohli, M Dhoni, R Ashwin, U Yadav, S Sreesanth, I Sharma

Sub 5 - A Rahane, P Patel, P Ojha, I Pathan, S Aravind

I think its a 16 man squad right? Playing 2 spinners in Aus conditions I feel is highly unlikely. I agree with Umeshji when he says Zaheer can be left out if its only a half effort on his side that will come. Rather give Sreesanth, or Irfan Pathan that opportunity to spearhead along with Ishant and Yadav. Bhajji.. well, he's had rest yes, but with Ojha and Ashwin in form, do we drop them for experience in Bhajji? 

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
I too thought Parthiv Patel will be a good option, since he can be reserve opener too. But selectors have choosen Saha once again... Sree, Irfan, Aravind, Rahane too out selected...
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
My bad Leo, Rahane is selected...
abhin@v
abhin@v
from mumbai
12 years ago

Bhajji and Yuvi are dropped. Ashwin and Ojha have huge responsibilities now. It would be good if Zaheer can be fully fit in time. His experience can help Aaron and Umesh Yadav.

abhin@v
from mumbai
12 years ago

Finally, a cricket thread! Can you make it more general, so that we can discuss not only selections but also other things like scores, etc. Will that be allowed?

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Yes abhi, Ashwin and Ojha have huge responsibilities now. Though only one will probably play, most probably Ashwin. And yes, Zaheer's selection is subject to fitness... I will change the topic to a more general one, where we can discuss the whole Australian series... Team selections, Strategies, live scores, results, etc...
umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Yuviraj Singh is afflicted with Lung Tumour luckily it is not malignent, hope he will recover from the same.  It seems to have troubled him for a long time.  

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Yes sad. Hope he recovers soon.
DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Ok, So this is the squad. Sehwag, Gambhir, Dravid, Sachin, Laxman, Rohit, Rahane, Kohli, Dhoni, Saha, Ishant, Umesh, Aaron, PK, Zaheer, Ashwin, Ojha.
DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Its a good team but worried about the bowling. West Indies twice took first innings lead. They collapsed against spin, dont see Australian batsmen crumbling and collapsing like that... Can our bowlers take 20 wickets?

your worry is well founded, DS,

DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
PK injured... Replacement will be named on the 5th December.
Vishal Kataria
from Thane
12 years ago

I guess the only option is Vinay. Don't know if they'll pick Irfan Pathan, though he performed well against Delhi. But he's got a good track record in Australia. What say, DS?

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Sorry Vishal, for the late reply. I was out of town. They have gone with Abhimanyu Mithun who is a good replacement, I think. He did well in his debut series against Sri Lanka.
DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Vinay Kumar picked! He replaces Varun Aaron who is injured...
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
So still no Irfan Pathan!!
Vishal Kataria
from Thane
12 years ago

Yeah indeed surprising. They would choose a relative new comer over someone who has experience in Australia. The logic beats me too...

Vishal Kataria
from Thane
12 years ago

BTW, 7 top Indian players have already left for Aus. That's good news... Dhoni and the rest will join them on 12th Dec...

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Me too Vishal! Even someone like Munaf could have been given a look in.. What say?
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Yeah thats good news. They will get time to acclimitise to alien conditions. Better chances of winning then.
abhin@v
from mumbai
12 years ago

Dont want to sound ridiculous... but when is the series starting and how many matches are going to be played? :)

Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

I do blv Dhoni, who has been rested for the W.I ODIs has also reached Australia, isn't it?

I think Irfan would have made a good replacement.. but Vinay Kumar is of sound talent too. I'm just waiting for Pattinson to test his mettle against the Indian top order. The young Aussie pacer is in very good form.. Smile

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago

@ abhi

There will be 4 test matches Vs Australia with the first match on boxing day, 26th December!!

Then 2 T-20 matches against Australia.

Then tri series vs Australia and Sri Lanka!!!

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
@ Leo Dhoni has not yet gone, I think... And yeah, it will be interesting to see Pattinson, Starc and Lyon against Indian Batsman... Its a pity that Cummins is injured...
abhin@v
from mumbai
12 years ago

This is the ultimate challenge!. Hope the famous batting line-up holds the forte and prove themselves!

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Yeah Abhi it will be exciting stuff!!
Vishal Kataria
Vishal Kataria
from Thane
12 years ago

Yeah... It's a pity Munna is left out too... These guys have been good performers Down Under (I mean in Australia)...

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Last time Pankaj Singh was in the reserves during the Aussie tour...
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Munaf isnt injured, is he?
DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
The practise match has started today! India fielding first.
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Bad day at the office for the Indians first up. 398/6 declared the Australia Invitational side.
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Indians finished on 320/6... Sachin, Laxman and Rohit scored half centuries...
SAGNIK MAITRA
SAGNIK MAITRA
from BANGALORE
12 years ago

Hope Ishant is fit before the boxing day match.......BCCI should really look into player injuries more seriously. Ishant badly needs a surgery but is only carrying on because he feels pressure about his place in the team if he opts out. I strongly feel Rohit sharma should be given an opportunity

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Rohit must play ahead of Virat!!

And Yeah if Ishant is injured then itb will be a blow for India...

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Kohli failed in the 1st practise game while Rohit scored a half century. So that seals his place to some extent, I guess.
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Rohit was also in imperious form VS the Windies, should get the nod ahead of Virat unless something dramatic happens in the 2nd practise match.
DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Warner bashes another century in the Big Bash after his century in the 2nd innings against New Zealand last week. Ominous signs for India!!
DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
2nd tour match starts today. Its been delayed by rain.
Vishal Kataria
Vishal Kataria
from Thane
12 years ago

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/47678/india-are-favorites-to-win-series:-punters/

Punters are stating that India are favourites for this test series. I, however, for the 1st time, am a little less confident. The bowling is not in good form. Plus, rumour has it that Ashok Dinda is Ishant Sharma's replacement? Why Dinda? The batting also leaves a lot to be desired. We can destroy the Aussie bowling line up ony if Sehwag & Gambhir get off to flyers. That's what mauls the Aussies' confidence. Someone going after them... Anyway, waiting for Dec 26th hoping to be proved wrong...

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Yeah the punters can say anything!! The Punter that matters is Ponting Tongue out

And Yeah, why Dinda... Munaf???

Sehwag, apart from that 219 on a flat bed has not done anything in recent past, same wirth Gambhir...

Lets see what happens on the Boxing day...

You think Rohit should play or Virat??

Vishal Kataria
Vishal Kataria
from Thane
12 years ago

Rohit...

While both are good fielders and batsmen, Rohit has had a good track record in the ODIs in Aus. But then, my heart has always found it hard to deny Virat a place in the squad :P

As you rightly said, waiting for Boxing day now...

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
My heart says Rohit. He has been in sizzling form to say the least... Lets see... Its similar to Ashwin VS Ojha headache!!!
DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
India all out for just 269!! Virat scores 132!! That strengthens the case in his favor a bit...
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
The Australian Invitational side finish on 214/7... Still trail India by 55 runs with one day to go...
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
David Warner made just 2... Zaheer went wicketless in his 10 overs conceding 41 runs... Ashwin took 4 wickets...
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Australia invitational side declared on 215/7... India declared on 90/2... They require 145 to win in 2 sessions... Quite gettable...
Arnab Maity
Arnab Maity
from Sydney
12 years ago

The match is drawn ! They got a 100/0

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Yeah match drawn... I thought we will lose it but since Hughes and Khwaja were both dropped from the Aussie team they played it safe...

LockSign in to reply to this thread