Seeking inspiration: The Politics of war

Afsha
Afsha
from Mumbai
15 years ago

There shouldn't be a dearth of information on this. I have three basic questions to ask here and need really honest and heartfelt answers.

1. What according to you is the politics of war and which veteran exudes this trait?
  2. Which was the war (any one in the history of the world) did you actually read about and truly feel for?
  3. Comeplete this sentence: Politics will lead us into war when....

Thanks in advance you guys! Your support in my blogging (and soon to be vlogging) adventures thus far has been awesome! Speliack thanks to Sourish, Ajoy Krishna, Yogesh, and everyone else on indiblogger!

Replies 1 to 4 of 4 Descending
Rajnish Kumar
Rajnish Kumar
from Bangalore
14 years ago

1.The best example of politics of war is Pakistan.It has no other identity than being on war with India.Everytime the people of Pakistan have tried asking their leaders about the basic amentities and economic development they have directed their attention towards the border.All regimes in Pakistan whether Millitary or otherwise have practised this art.MJ Akbar said in one of his columns - Pakistan is holding the world to ransom like a gambler terrorism is the deck of cards with which it places the bets and it uses its nuclear weapons as the collateral.

As far as being veteran of Politics of war is concerned I think George Bush deserves it more than anyone else.America has made sure that the whole world is at war so that its arms driven economy allows US people to enjoy life at the cost of plundering natural resources more tha anyone else on the planet.Whether it is Iraq ,Vietnam or Afganistan the brave american soldiers keep fighting a lost battle hidden behind tonnes of protective gear.Knowing little that the war is won for the cause that it is fought for and those who win it fight with their gut and not with drones.

2.I am not so much of a war person but a battle which is close to my heart is the one which was not actualy fought.When britishers marched into Lucknow Nawab Wajid Ali Shah just gave in not because he was a coward but because he felt that by not maintaining an army he has let his people down and today he has no right to ask them to give away their lives in a battle which can never be won.

(you can read my post on shatranj ke khiladi)

3. Politics will lead us to war when the people are blinded by hate.

History is witness to this.

Micky Fernandez
Micky Fernandez
from Kolkata
12 years ago

1) Politics of war: to rape, torture and kill as many civilians as possible

2) The U.S.-led War on Civilians (formerly called War on Drugs, and now incorporating the War on Terrorism) best exemplifies #1.

3) there is politics.

Antara
Antara
from Kharagpur
11 years ago

1. Politics of war : A war is always started due to some personal interest of an individual or group of indiviuals or nation. Anybody who has tasted power exudes this trait. Especially if they have realised that they have a hold over people, that you can instil terror in them. (Hitler, Stalin, the superpowers during World War, the British Empire when it was still in its glory, etc...) Of course, a war may also be started in early defense...

2. War that I read about and truly felt for : Holocaust. I don't know why I read SO much about it (and I was young too)...but I was fascinated. Horrified yes, but fascinated that one person could be so powerful. That he could actually gather supporters...some who even live on today. And to think that one man was almost successful in wiping away a whole race!

The two world wars...but they also changed the society. They were responsible for women starting to work. Wars have lots of effects...other than just death.

And now there is Syria.

3. Politics will lead us into war when - the feel of power becomes an obsession and one seen nothing other than the self.

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

What according to you is the politics of war and which veteran exudes this trait?

War comes because of human greed and mother earth's incapability to provide for all the greed. People in their greed want to gain greater share of the limited resources than their bretheren. Leaders emerge to rally people into groups  based on race, language, color, relegion etc. to snatch the resources from others and take more for themselves. This battle when fought within a country is politics. When fought between nations it is war.

Which was the war (any one in the history of the world) did you actually read about and truly feel for?

Read about most wars. Don't feel for anything in particular. When I see movies like 'Life is beautiful', where 1 man is killed I feel. When I read in history books about thousands of men are killed, they just seem like numbers to me and don't evoke any feelings in me. 

Comeplete this sentence: Politics will lead us into war when...

leaders follow instead of lead

LockSign in to reply to this thread