Do you switch off cellphone in the night ?

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

After two bitter experience one missed calland one wrong number i decided to switch off cell phone in the night Smile  Effectively 9 to 9 in the night my cellphone is off.  In case of emergency many of my friends and family members have my landline number to connect.  I feel life is more bearable without SMS alert, Advt message or false rings in the night disturbing our sleep.  Maybe i am wrong lolz

Replies 1 to 14 of 14 Descending
Leo
Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

I don't know Umeshji. Innocent I dont switch it off, but once asleep, I'm quite deep asleep. Very hard to awaken Tongue out

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

I wish I get such a sleep atleast once a week. My books don't leave me alone even when I am sleeping... Frown

My phone is always on silent mode. If luckily I see any no. Blinking I pick up, otherwise I see missed calls later and If I feel like spending some money on him, I call back, otherwise I rest in peace
Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Keep it in silent/vibrating mode , agree with PL+1 .

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

That's a very good idea. But the problem comes when it is Renie calling you to give you a surprise gift... an i pad.... onl if you respond to the call withing seven rings. Smile

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Koi farak nahi padta, switch on or switch off.. As it is, no one calls, not even wrongly Tongue out

Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

+1 arti , great i hope my phone also turns like that in future . It will be great fun .

Arti Ji, you are lucky, which is your network provider. That also doesn't pester you.
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

@Dhiraj: Yes, true! It's indeed great fun to sleep peacefully after a hectic day of work.

@Pramod ji: It's Reliance, and It has been quite reliable ..that way :P

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago
I am having trouble with reliance. They start calls from 7 am in the morning. I tried activating dnd but my sister wont let me do it as she wants to know what is the latest offer! Sigh
Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

@ Arti , its also great fun to sleep after a lazy day at work also .

Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

missed sleep peacefully

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
@dhiraj true again! Sleeping peacefully is always fun.
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
@indiano haha, actually I was also wondering how to keep myself abreast with all the latest deals and offers, with dnd activated from my end. Now I know how :P Convey my thanks to your sis :D
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ Arti Whenever you find the free on any website, submit you e mail address and stay informed about the latest offers every day, 100s and 1000s of them Tongue out

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Haha, Ranjith :D A bro's spammed inbox looks so much more better :P Thanks for the suggestion, good one, hehe :-)
umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

By switching off the battery life gets enhanced i suppose, secondly the microwaves or radiowaves, which ever signal the cellphone is working on does not affect our brains, thanks Animesh i have to get rid of the cellphone while sleeping.

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Umesh, battery life does not get enhanced merely by switching off. At least once in a month, drench out the complete battery. It will improve the battery life by a great extent.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Battery life isn't enhanced. We are simply spared from the huge electricity bills.

Ram A Singh
Ram A Singh
from Silvassa
12 years ago

No, Because my nature of duties is such that I can not keep my mobile switch off. any time  & any where  is my duty. but i keep it little far away from my bed.

Mohini Puranik
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

What wonderful answers, I loved them maja aa gaya! Especially by Arti, Leo and TS...Laughing

DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Cant switch it off. But I have never, till now, touch wood, been disturbed by a wrong or telemarket call...

I don't switch it off... but i heard that keeping your cellphone beside your bed while sleeping can be potentially harmful in the long-term for the brain, etc etc... is that true???

Ram A Singh
from Silvassa
12 years ago

I also read about this thing in news paper that keeping mobile switched on near pillow is harful in long term and also it create problem in sleeping.

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Yes it is true. Mobile phones rediate very harmful radiations. Since, I cannot switch it off, I put it at a a good distance. Additionally, mobile phone towers are equally hazardous. If there is a tower within a kilometer of your residnce, you are in great danger. And one thing which many people may not be knowing, try to use left ear rather than right ear while talking on a mobile phone. 

that is bad. A lot of people keep their mobile phones beside their pillow when they go to sleep just because they expect important calls, or have set an alarm, etc etc... have heard about mobile towers before but wasn't sure if mobiles themselves were harmful.@animesh: why left?

tys
tys
from Sharjah
12 years ago

i would love to but my field of work prevents me from not being available at any given time. when i feel it gets too much, i put it on silence. that way i can get back to them in my own time...gives me a sense of control though i know its a false sense of control

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Same is the problem with me tys. I can understand your situation

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Most of the times when you switch off the first when you switch on some SMS message is relayed, either from provider or your circle, that is one thing which is negative i believe.  Secondly any emergency message cannot be attended to on the bed.

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

New DND rules (called CCCPR) are very stringent and effective. They have actually been giving results. The only problem is people are not aware of it. I had written an article about it, you can check or ask me in person, I will give you details. Use it and you will get rid of those unwanted calls/SMS at least by 90%

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I am getting midnight spam calls- so does my mom. Judging by the ISD code, its from Somalia!! Now people here would probably outsource their jobs to other countries to escape the law (I am assuming its possible?).

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

It may have been routed through Somalia.

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Animesh you can provide us the guide how to get rid of such unwanted calls and SMS, Pl explain in detail in a seperte para or provide link by Indimail, if you pen it down it would be better, everybody can read it

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Sorcy, it must be the Nigerians who are active in the night to trap online guys.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Or must be a call from one of my uncle's lawyer who wants to tell me that he left $100,00,00,00,000 for me :P

HemaSrini
HemaSrini
from Bangalore
12 years ago

You are absolutely right, I switch off my mobile at 11pm and on it by 5am. So that I have my time reserved for my sons (7 years and 7 months), hubby and myself. After all its my sleeping time. Other family members can still reach me on my hubby's number.

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

If one has multiple cellphones it is better to switch off others. Smile  Keep one active that makes sense

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

I don''t switch off my cell at night. I have blocked a few numbers of telemarketers but still a new number keeps occuping my logs each day. 

call come in night-u night-u,

your sleep gone-u.

why this telemarket telemarket telemarket -di?

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Is that a parody to that useless ( my view :-) ) Tamil song?

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Xeno, add a few more verses and record the song! I think it will be a huge hit, even bigger than the original!

@ranjith: yeah it is useless, thats why i like to make fun of it!

@Arti: I hope you'll assist with the funding. Cool

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

@The Xeno: Sure, if you promise to part with all your profits Money mouth

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

This discussion has reminded to activate DND on my phone.

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Earlier i used to keep the cellphone for wake up alarm near the pillow, it used to result in distubed sleep due to radiation.  I discovered that the best thing is to keep the cellphone on the window sill. Smile

LockSign in to reply to this thread