Save energy... Share your experiences and motivate others

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Preaching is a lot more easier thing than practicing. The same thing is applicable in our atitude towards environment and energy. I used to switch on the fan in omy hostel room, lock up my room and attend my classes. I never understood the mistake I was vdoing till this day. The tubelight in my room has stopped working and it will take a minimum of 7-10 days for the electrician to come and fix the ptroblem. In the meantime, I need to depend on the light bulb, somthing which I least expected to take place in my life. I wish to put my hand over the letter s but it moves towards g, thanks to the poor visibility. I now feel the need to save electricity, which I keep wasting so that the people in the remote villages who have power supply for hardly an hour or two can benefit.

It's now time to share your experiences and inspire others to save electricity. Also, share any tips to save electricity that are practically implementable.

Replies 1 to 7 of 7 Descending
DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Arre, baju wale room ya corridor mein se dhap le na tubelight!!!! On a serious note, my hostel had 6 hours of load shedding for 3 days a week in the scorching summers... We used to literally go mad during the afternoons... We never wasted light, always put them off before leaving the room. I still follow same rules, no wasting of electricity.

good work there DS. Taking care of these little things are of considerable importance in the long term. In college, after the last class or during the break time, i am often the one to switch off the lights and fans in my classroom, since no one seems to care.

Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

@ +1 The Xeno & Ranjith

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Good work, inspirational @DS and @Xeno :)

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Way to go Xeno:)
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Dhiraj, why not plus 1 for me??
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I think he forgot, by mistake.. Here, +2 for you :)

thank you guys! +5 to everyone who is reading this in the dark. Tongue out

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Thanks Thanks Arti and Xeno:)
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ DS Suffering is the path to realisation

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ Dhiraj Shenoy Thanks for the +1 given to me for no reason Smile

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ Arti I think that you have too many +1's with you Smile

Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

@ The Xeno Missed out your +5. There is bright sunligght entering my room through the windows. Smile

Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

@ Ds ,+100 , sorry , since Xeno had already appreciated your work , i thought i will appreciate Xeno (inturn your appreciated by me) , you see a chain reaction .

Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

@ Ranjith , i gave you a +1 for starting this topic .

abhin@v
from mumbai
12 years ago

So many plus 1s and 2s . It looks like everybody's bitten by the google plus bug :)

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
@ Ranjith Thats true.
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Thanks a lot Dhiraj. Yeah the chain reaction was missed by me.... @ Abhi LOL, True:):)
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Plus +10 to everyone...
Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Good initiaitive Ranjith! Little efforts from our side indeed go a long way and help in conservation of our resources and ecology in general.

I do take care that i dont leave any switches on when not required, unnecessarily and all my family members do the same.

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Good work Arti:)

thats the spirit. +1

Mohini Puranik
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

I am so disciplined by load shedding, if sometimes by mistake we have power, still I keep lights switched off for the load shedding time.......not joking, may be because of my strict nature....this happens by habit.

yeah it should be a habit for all.

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Very inspiring Mohini. Keep it up:)
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

Thanks guys, one benifit of this power cut is that we are now very disciplined and if we go anywhere, this habit is with us. And we work without fans, a.c. in more than 45degrees in summer. So I feel this makes us extraordinary..(Just trying to praise my little town)

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Thats the way to think.. Positive thinking..
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Excellent, we so called big city people need to take lessons from people like you.. I agree with xeno, it should be a habit for all.
umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Slim tubelight are the best in terms of saving electricity and emitting sufficient light to read, the best way to reduce electricity is to have well constructed houses which can have light in all the rooms.  We are blessed with an apartment which has light throughout the day in all rooms and good ventilation too.  Secondly CFL light bulb even though energy efficient, it is not eco friendly i believe, so get rid of it.  Lastly Go for walks early morning by switching off the light and return when day light breaks similarly in the night, that way it will help to conserve 1 hour power.

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
We too dont use CFL at our place.
Dhiraj Shenoy
Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I do switch off my bike/car at traffic signals , traffic jams etc .  We follow strict organic and inorganic waste segration , and i do carry cloth/reusable bags while going to shopping thus reduce the  plastic usage . 

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Plastic bags are a major nuisance. Thats a very good practise of using cloth bags.
Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago
I make my team members shut down their computers after work. When they give me the damn careless look, i tell them my story. I come home at 5 am every morning after work and hit the gym from 6.30 to 7.30. By 8.30 i try to sleep, exactly the time when there is a power cut. I sweat a lot and because of the humidity, which makes it even more difficult for me to sleep well. By 11 power comes and then i sleep peacefully till 3 and I have to get up and get ready for my new day at work. At home too, we all try to save as much power as possible. Unless others realize how it feels like to sleep without a fan in humid conditions, they dont act on it.
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

You are definitely conscious of saving power Hemal, kudos to you, when i was there in Mumbai there was uninterrupted power supplies, now the situation has turned horrible i suppose with power cuts, isn t Dabhol power supplies helping ?

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Thats very good Hemal. I can understand your plight when you sleep in the hot summer without the fan.
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

Hemal, that's really horrible. Hot place is tolerable, but high humidity. I really wonder how Mumabaikars manage to live there happily with working heavily. You guys are great.

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Yours is a very sad scenario indeed.. There is no power cut at my place, so I guess I am quite lucky and fortunate. But I think people, esp the youth are becoming more and more slowly and we can only hope for a brighter and a better society by contributing our bit towards the good of the environment. Good work, @Hemal.
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
*more and more aware and *society = tomorrow

AAhem, my case, I reside in a village, we get power supply, atleast two hours in 24 hours. rest we manage with hhand fans, coal, little bit generator till it paasses out. 

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

It's really nice!... I also like hand fans or Neem ki pure hava! two hours is really shocking!

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Aha! Neem ke ped ki shudh hawa ka koi muqabala nahi...

My house is at the feet of a large pond, so, bountiful nature . 

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Waah!!
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

Pramoji, then this is not fair, you haven't shared pics yet. I request, if possible please share an article on how you all manage with 2 hrs. power.

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

Oops I am sorry, 'Pramodji!'

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Yeah, agree with Mohinee. Even I am curious to see your place and know more of your experiences. It will serve as a good example to many.. Pramodji.

LockSign in to reply to this thread