#Depression

indu chhibber
indu chhibber
from Kota
12 years ago

Depression has emerged as a grave threat to mental & physical health today.It's causes may vary from case to case.One thing is very clear--we have many pitfalls of frustration in our daily life today.It could be education,carreer,failure in love or marriage,relationship problems,death,disease or some other tragedy. Over-ambition too has added fuel to the fire.Everybody wants to be at the top & contentment is rare.It is good to be ambitious , but one should be aware of one's own limitations & the competition should be with one's own self only; otherwise hate rivalry & jealousy set in --leading to frustration.Frustrations & disappointments often slide into depression because support from family & friends has depleted.If we want to save ourselves from mental disease then we shall have to do one of these two things ;either reduce the burden of sorrow, or increase the quantum of support.

Replies 1 to 12 of 12 Descending
umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

See movies, talk to friends on phone, keep chatting and depression will all vanish.   Smile

Mohini Puranik
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

Reducing unnecessary thing is very necessary. I feel our Indian spiritual books mainly Upanishads are very nice, all depression will vanish forever from inside.  To gain support is also important.

Dhiraj Shenoy
Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Just take a holiday and travel to any place on this earth . One should be fine .

Vishal Kataria
Vishal Kataria
from Thane
12 years ago

We should reduce the burden of how much we do and expect others to do. Simplify our lives...

Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago

It's all in the mind, illusions. Take a break, fill yourself with positivity and enthusiasm, learn to detach from situations and their outcomes, love yourself - a bit more each day.. It's a gradual process but doing all this should help.

indu chhibber
indu chhibber
from Kota
12 years ago

@sorcerer & umesh---your positivity is infectious, i hope it spreads like an epidemic!!

@mohini--you know some people just dont have any shradha,they are not inclined to reading spritual books.

@Dhiraj--Confucious says "No matter where you go,there you are"

@Vishal--i agree with you ;the burdens definitely need to be reduced-from our own backs as well as those  whom we love.

@Arti--the sorrow of those who are depressed is very real for them,taking a positive stand will definitely help but they have to be guided on this course.Yes they do need to love themselves.So many of my depressed clients tell me " i am useless,a total failure,i have not a single good quality,i dont deserve to live"etc etc.

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

Induji, Shraddha is not needed to read Upanishads or Yogavasishtha. These books have described the mind so beautifully and given the solution on the things happening with the mind. And westarn people are more attracted towards these things these days. But this message is still to reach the masses in India.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Think about it. We barely can live properly for 70-80 years in average and we so many things to appreciate and experience. Lesser depressed you are lesser time and energy you waste.

indu chhibber
indu chhibber
from Kota
12 years ago

@Mohinee--I agree that these scriptures are of immense value.In fact i am reading the very 1st Rig Veda nowadays.But one who does not believe in them will not think of looking at them.It is true that Yoga & meditation are very useful in training the mind.

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

Hmm, that's really true. Basically when one feels like everthing is over and life is meannigless, nothing looks positive for that person. An understanding person can surely help with love from the bottom of heart, the feeling that you are not alone, I am always with you ....makes things better. And we are having unnecessary burdon of lot of thing which we actually don't need at all results in the depression. Escpeically social networking is really frustrating for teens! I have seen the case of a teen of TV, he used to drink the whole day and just used to live depressed. In this case, some long term efforts are needed and some work which will give the confidence to the person that world really need them.

indu chhibber
indu chhibber
from Kota
12 years ago

@Sorcerer--its true that depression does bring life to a standstill.People differ so far as resilience & support systems are concerned.When this happens they should seek professional help,but alas! the stigma attached to mental disorders prevents them from doing so.

@Mohinee--No doubt,love & support of even one person can bring someone back from the clutches of depression.You are so right about unnecessary burdens on our minds today.We all want happiness but we work towards totally unrelated goals.If you read my post on "#Happiness", i am sure you will agree with me.So long then.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
12 years ago

best thing to do, not to think about it. It happened. Move on. When people grow old and lie on their deathbeds they can regret and cry all they want because it doesn't matter. The way I see things, if you have done something bad that you're not even going to remember at the point of your death, why be depressed about it? Besides, what are the chances of you remembering it during the last time? You'll not even remember it. You live once- or atleast you remember life once. You are gone and hence, everything is gone. So, it there's no point in being depressed. Man up and move on!!

Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

Induji, I was not disagreeing, but just trying to find some possibilities which will protect the youth from going in depression.

@TS, absolutely, this is really difficult to think but such practical vision gives us real strength.

indu chhibber
indu chhibber
from Kota
12 years ago

@ Sorcerer--Thats a good philosophy to live by--no regrets n no tears.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Its not really a philosophy. Depression is fueled by the illusion of material needs and gains that we our older counterparts accumulated. I've told this to many people many times, you overcome depression, hatred and greed, humanity evolves. Or else we're not different from those apes who decided not to stop hanging in trees and start walking in solid land many many centuries ago. If you don't overcome it, then your future generation will never evolve. Make a choice, its a no brainer that you will start to overcome depression, hatred and greed as much as you can.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Unfortunately some idiots try to pull you down. And they succeed because they have experience in doing so. Such people are usually jobless. That's your clue if someone tries to annoy you.

indu chhibber
indu chhibber
from Kota
12 years ago

No Mohinee, i did not mean that you are contradicting me--i just wanted to tell you that my blog post "Happiness' also says what you have mentioned in your reply.We are on the same page.Thanks for yourthoughtful replies.

StyleDestino
StyleDestino
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I think people create their problems, which are more like simple thinks balloned and then it aggravates and they become the salve to it and the term depression is coined. What is to be depressed about? There are people on the streets who dont get food to eat for days, shiver in winter, women are beaten by their husbands or tortured by in-laws. I recently read a story of shortage of women in areas,w hich is causing the treachery where a man gets married to a woman and his brothers shares his wife..... and u think u are depressed? Of what? Social pressure? having a comfortable life where u have a family, food to eat but u cant cope up wid little problems at home. OKAY , it may not be little, but it is not something that cant be dealt with. Denial is the cause of depression in most cases. Well, I think its overrated.

indu chhibber
indu chhibber
from Kota
12 years ago

Innocent @StyleD--My dear there is no doubt that some people blow up a problem out of proportion & we who are well-adjusted think they are over-reacting....but consider this that the threshold of tolerance differs from person to person....some people may have a long history of suffering behind them ; then it is the last straw that breaks the camel's back....some are too sensitive to tolerate indifference or cruelty ; or they just cannot reach out for help & fester inside,which turns simple anxiety into depression......u r right that people live through much bigger problems ; they must possess more inner strength than those who buckle down.

@Abhi---all the replies here are by well-adjusted folks....i wish a depressed one would give his/her version.

LockSign in to reply to this thread