stopping blind promotion

Madhur Chadha
Madhur Chadha
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

I am pretty new to Indi blogger and had seen something little disturbing, people blindly promoting posts.

Now you may ask whats the problem with that, well for starters it sort of skews the ranking and  who shows on the home page and also promote button really looses its value

One person, deepak karthik recently wrote on this

http://www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=101184

Now blind promotion to me is like Spam, where the spammer leaves the same comment oevr an over again across 1000 of blogs.This is just like that. 

Also newbie bloggers get the hang of it and sort of blindly start promoting the people who promoted them, thus the person with most people in network always wins

Maybe this has been discssed before but i wanted to know from the audence is it worth correcting and how to do it.

One idea i can suggest is :Limit the number of Promotes a person can do per day, say I can promote only 10 posts per day.This might be a viable option, and if you really read more than 10 posts in a day, you need to choose the best 10 to promote

Edited 12 years ago
Reason: some typos
Replies 1 to 8 of 8 Descending
Madhur Chadha
Madhur Chadha
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

are, i am not talking about spam, i am saying dont let people promote more than 1 posts per day on indiblogger

How it harms: Well if suppose you write a good post and maybe 10 pepple promote it to start with and

someone with a network of 1000 people goes ahead and promotes the post of all 1000, for sure atleast 100 will come back and promote his/her blog irrespective of how bad it might be out of courtesy.Your post is lost in  wilderness, you basically will not stand a chance of being on home page ever or amongst the top rated?

Madhur Chadha
Madhur Chadha
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

Its more like fooling the system, someone with enough time on their hands can actually do that easily.

Why good does promote serve indiblogger then?Maybe can be added to list of features future versions of indiblogger could have :)

Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
12 years ago

The number of promotions a day is not equal to number of visits from Indiblogger on that day. People just going with I oat your back, you pat mine mindset. 

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

i beleve restrictions will serve no purpose, some are real busy bodies, they would like to scan and go through the posts summary which one posts.  Anyways i am not for restriction even though it might amount to spamming according to you 

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Even I am not in supprt of it

Madhur Chadha
Madhur Chadha
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

I also feel that blogger of month/week could be a good start.

Why I suggested limiting no of recommendations is because I feel it can bring out the importance of recommendations

This limiting thing is done by many sites ,for eg some picture blogs allow you to upload 1 picture per day, forcing you to select the best one. SImilarly if you do to much of vote downs in reditt, you are marked as spammer.

Its like voting, people should not have unlimited votes,its absurd to me :).

Why i say this is because, getting more recommendations does have its advantages, you cannot simply ignore it. A home page feauture on indiblogger can give you good exposure

Another suggestion:

I saw this on another blogging community where evey week one blogger is selected as blogger of week, this person sets a theme for next week and also judges the next blogger of the week based on submissions ,and the chain continues. No prizes ,just feature on home page. I know the bloggers may not be very fair but would be very open, and they will be forced to select 1 entry . If people are a little mature it could be a really nice way to promote good bloggers ,plus the topics could be really creative not tied to any company.

In the end i do agree with sorcerer that SEO is the way to go but still :). ..

Srinivasan
Srinivasan
from Chennai
12 years ago

I found it annoying too . Blind promotion of posts Surprised  and i agree with @Purnendu

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago
Well, thats life. It is a good idea. But it is like a game. People will try to strategize and maximize the votes they themselves get. There aren't people who have time to go through 25-30 posts a day and identify the top 10. I think SEO is one strategy. Other way I think is each of us will have at atleast 10-15 dedicated readers who enjoy reading but do not write. So we introduce other good bloggers to them and they in turn introduce you to their 10-15 readers. So the writers and readers benefit. But there is a catch here. If you introduce a sub-par writer to your readers, readers will lose trust and the strategy will fail.
Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I agree with Ani, The Food, and others here. 

Its entirely a human tendency, and you cannot find fault with it. These days, I see more bloggers only concerned about going to other blogs just for the sake of a visit back instead of the content. I have got 13 votes for my latest post and only one comment (by Deepak Kartik). 

ITs a flaw that would be very hard to fix. 

LockSign in to reply to this thread