Can bloggers be considered journalists ? Debate

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

There is a thin line seperating blogging from journalism.  Let us examine the definition of a journalism according to wiki Journalism is the practice of investigation and reporting of events, issues and trends to a broad audience in a timely fashion. 

Blogging differs from journalism because the time frame is not strictly adhered to and the obligation to uphold truth and subject to discipline of verification may not be strictly adhered to.  Many a times blogs serve as whistle blowers to public in general.  Do you all agree

Replies 1 to 3 of 3 Descending
Shrinidhi Hande
Shrinidhi Hande
from Chennai
12 years ago

I think many companies have started treating bloggers at par with journalists and send invitations to bloggers to cover events. 

Not all bloggers can be considered as journalists- those who write personal stuff or other random stuff which may not be relevent to journalism in any way.

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

The legal immunity and privileges are absent for bloggers, whereas journalist in the line of duty get shielded.  It is a good trend that corporates have realised bloggers can be a reliable source of word to mouth publicity

Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
12 years ago

Looking at Tahrir, I can say that bloggers have been treated as more dangerous than journalists by the Military Junta there 

Kristy Kumari
Kristy Kumari
from Amritsar
12 years ago

Bloggers are definitely whistle blowers as many of us are not afraid to say what a journalist won't. While a journalist must prove everything she says without outside sources bloggers are free to share their own experiences and be their own source. Many people follow bloggers because they get real first hand information rather than some cold content that was investigated by a journalist. I think, though similar, bloggers are very different than journalist and a blog has much more freedom with styles of reporting. Both are free to do the same work but a blogger will do it in a less clinical fashion.

LockSign in to reply to this thread