Dhoni to retire ? debate

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Dhoni to retire from one of the formats of the game, and the obvious one is TEST CRICKET, where cricketers don t benefit much and have to slog it out over 5 days.  I believe the last bastion for a good batsmen is Test cricket.  If all the superstars of the game start choosing IPL and One day than Test match will be great looser.  As it is crowd pull is dwindling in Test cricket.  I firmly believe Test cricket world cup should be played with 80 overs each side and played over two days to make it more interesting.  Maybe day and night format can be introduced to make it interesting and result oriented.  Maybe we can see Sachin captaining for test cricket.  Debate guys

Replies 1 to 3 of 3 Descending
Leo
Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

Goodbye to him, if he really wants to do it. But let him not do it at the last moment. He's losing all sense of leadership, tactical awareness, guts, instinct... I know people are saying that he's a fantastic leader having won T20 and ODI cricket titles, ODI series etc.. but when it is time for a change at the helm, I think it has to be immediate. If he wants to retire, do it now... if not now, I feel at least give over the Test captaincy to someone who can handle it better than him. I'm all for Sachin Tendulkar taking over the captaincy of the Test team till he retires... I feel that Sachin, who only plays Tests for India now (IPL excluded), can assess the situation and mindset of his players and the opposition better than Dhoni, whose mindset is muddled with leading all three formats of the game. The best e.g. I can give is of the Englishmen right now, who are captained by Strauss in tests, Alastair Cook in ODIs and Stuart Broad in T20s. They do well wherever they play, give a fight most of the time... (India is an exception, since the M.I.B are par none when they play at home.)

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I believe it is time that Dhoni be relieved the burden of captaincy in TEST Cricket at least. I always believed that India should have three different teams for three different formats. It should be a rare privilege that one gets to represent One day and Test. IPL should be treated for professionals only. It would mean those who play IPL should be restricted to IPL in the Long Run. This will provide equal platform for large number of cricketers rather than privileged few.

before i begin my DEBATE, i must confess am an ardent follower of DHONI !IF he retires from test, am pretty sure i will stop watching TEST matches...

Ungrateful media bas.... and dumb Indian fans wants every match that we play to be won,, else they make captain as scapegoat...

whatever it is,, we have lost the series,, looking forward for the rest,, let's don't demonize DHONI !

he have contributed lot and as any other cricketer have earned a LOT !   

LockSign in to reply to this thread