Blogspot blogs redirecting to country specific domain

Subhorup Dasgupta
Subhorup Dasgupta
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

Blogspot blogs are now redirecting to country specific domains (ccTLDs). If you have tried to copy paste your new blogspot posts URL and submit to Indivine, it is likely that the submission will not go through since it comes with an blogspot.in in the URL. I had to edit my URL (the one I copied from my address bar) to blogspot.com from .in in order for my submission to go through.

I tried to understand this and had more questions than answers since I am not very conversant with the technoligical ways of the web or the pace at which it is evolving. However, apart from the turbulence this will create in terms of Alexa rank, traffic stats and Google page rank, I also wonder what this means for privacy and censorship, since the reason given by Google for doing this is to ensure that country specific permissible content is made available, which is just a polite way of saying that they will be able to better block what is "not permissible" in your country.

I noticed from the forum guidelines that a link is "permissible" here if it is relevant to the topic. At this point in time, I feel this post (on Indivine, but from my blog) is.

http://www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=111367

It describes the issue and raises some questions that I do not have answers to. My purpose for sticking this in the forum is to invite the people who know better about this to initiate a dialog that will help all of us get a better perspective on this matter.

1-20
21-22
Replies 1 to 20 of 22 Descending
TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I think it depends on where you are opening the blog from. I tried opening some foriegn friend's blogs. They also open as .in only. So no issues with the URL I think. It is just that google is trying to ensure different content can be banned in different countries as per country laws. Obviously google can't ignore court orders.

Subhorup Dasgupta
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

That is correct, TF. However, the .in URLs are not being recognized by most bots such as Facebook and StumbleUpon or Alexa. However, Google Plus seems to effortlessly recognize (and pull in a preview) the .in URL. Does this not defeat the purpose of having universal resource locators since they are no longer universal?

Nirvana Drift
Nirvana Drift
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Thanks for the information Subhorup. I have been breaking my head for the last two days wondering whats wrong as I am anyways new to indiblogger. :) Now I learn the reason!

Subhorup Dasgupta
Subhorup Dasgupta
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

I just heard back that even this fix is leading to a "could not connect to your blog" message when submitting to indivine with an edited back to blogspot.com URL. Anybody else having any ideas about this?

D Gowardhan
D Gowardhan
from Raigarh
12 years ago

thanks for enlightening us Shubhorup

Chirag Joshi
Chirag Joshi
from Dehradun
12 years ago

i tried so many times but by changing to blogspot.com gave the error" could not connect to your server"where is the technical team of Indiblogger.ingave us a solution

Chirag Joshi
Chirag Joshi
from Dehradun
12 years ago

goog news it starts working with blogspot.in

so enjoy guys

Ram A Singh
Ram A Singh
from Silvassa
12 years ago

due to this blogspot.in my alexa rank dropped from 2lk to more than 10lk and gpr too.

Subhorup Dasgupta
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

The Alexa number you are seeing is not for your page, you can still get your blogspot.com rank by entering it into Alexa search box, though you might be seeing a 10 million rankon your toolbar. GPR too is intact for the blogspot.com site, but will show up wrong on your toolbar, since the .in URL is not indicative of your real page.

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
12 years ago

We're working on a fix for IndiVine - things should work by the morning!

Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Great to here about it .........

Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Read it as Hear and not here

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Yeah thats great Renie:)
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

That's great! Too quick! Keep up the good work... Smile

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

I was wondering if there was something wrong with the MAC computers in our library on seeing that my my blog was opening with a .in! Now the biggest question that I have is: To which URL should we build links: .com or .in? Innocent

Dhiraj Shenoy
Dhiraj Shenoy
from Bangalore
12 years ago

No matter from where you are, you can have access to the standard U.S. English blog without country redirection. This is called "No Country Redirect" and can be accessed by placing ncr keyword in the last of target URL. Like xyz.blogspot.com/ncr . Read this for more information .

Vijay Kumar Sharma
Vijay Kumar Sharma
from Noida
12 years ago

This redirection from .com to .in may cause many serious issues from SEO PoV. In fact, if any of you have installed Facebook Like plug-in, you will see zero likes for posts which had lot many likes earlier. In similar fashion .in URLs would be completely different and search-engines will start seeing our blogs as new one in some of the instances. I hope that Blogger folks understand the complicacies and look into it seriously.

Anyone here can suggest short-time workaround?

Pranita
Pranita
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I observed the reason being .in instead of .com when my posts weren't being submitted in indivine... so i added a new blog to my account with the new site id... but now i donno if i shud delete the previous one... if i do so, will all the posts i submitted in indivine through the .com site be lost??? Cos now i hav a list of two blogs in my account which are actually the same, but with .com and .in...!

GvSparx
GvSparx
from Delhi
12 years ago

I feel like quitting blogger/ blogging itself

Pranita
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Its rectified now! No more problems posting!

Roopa KM
Roopa KM
from Kozhikode
12 years ago

Thanks for the info Subhorup.I was worrying on this yesterday and came to the forum to ask you guys abt this.

Shubham Gupta
Shubham Gupta
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

@ALL Yes it will create some issues in the long run, but all issues listed here can be answered using canonical tags which tell a search engine or a site that the original content is located at this URL, so all SEO juice, FB likes etc would be redirected to .com page ! Blogger already has these canonical tags in place, but if you use highly customized template it might be missing. Google about how canonical tags work !

Subhorup Dasgupta
Subhorup Dasgupta
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

Update on developments. xxx.Blogspot.in  is now getting a pagerank from Alexa but it is an unique rank that will have to be built up back. The .com page rank is only reading traffic from the US as far as Alexa is concerned so blogs with majority of traffic from US should not see a big impact on their ALexa rank, but for the rest it is pretty much starting all over again.  The Feb 6 GPR updates are recognizing the .in page and giving it the same pagerank as the .com site.

sibichen
sibichen
from bangalore
12 years ago

I am unable to post, still. Has it been rectified by Indivine?

Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Manually edit the permalink by deleting .in and instead replacing it with .com. Indivine will automatically redirect :)
Arti
Arti
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Thanks for all the info subhorup and others! All this has been real helpful :)
Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Oh, now that is news to me! Google is in expansion mode when it comes to blogger. Now you can have same subdomain for different country specific blogs I guess or its what may be coming in future. It may lead to even more confusion. Already they stared adding google+ results into search... Phew! What more complex can things be...
Prayag Verma
Prayag Verma
from Noida
12 years ago

Here is a post on how to fix this issue http://www.stylifyyourblog.com/2012/02/redirect-in-and-comau-to-com-domain.html

A simple JavaScript does the job and there is no loss in Alexa rankings too

1-20
21-22
LockSign in to reply to this thread