Scam site imitating my site, need some advice

Tony John
Tony John
from Kerala
12 years ago

I recently posted a thread on a scam site imitating my site and selling domain appraisal service as if it is recommended by my site. (The thread is not visible now, probably IndiPolice deleted it without reading my full thread and thought I am promoting my site here)

Anyway, things are getting serious on this end. I started getting legal notices for hosting the scam. Any tips on how to deal with this?

Here is the SCAM SITE: http://www.forum-windows-club.com/Archive/638720475.htm

(This is a SCAM SITE and not my site. I am not promoting my site here)

They have a single static page in the site, but have used a copy of the thread in one of my sites and all the links, Ads, menu etc are reproduced from the site. All the links in the scam site point to my genuine site)

Any suggestions on how to deal with this scammer? He has used a proxy service to register and domain owner information is not visible.

Edited 12 years ago
Reason: Changed the category
Replies 1 to 9 of 9 Descending
Tony John
Tony John
from Kerala
12 years ago

Just spoke to GoDaddy where the scam site is registered. Also filed a Trademark violation claim. Hope the site will be taken down soon.

Tony John
Tony John
from Kerala
12 years ago

I failed to convince GoDaddy to suspend that domain name (forum-windows-club.com) since I have no solid proof for any scam involved in it.

Any suggestions how to go about it?

Even today I got a complaint from a person suspecting I am involved in this scam since all links from that site points to my site and it has a visual appearance of my site.

Tony John
Tony John
from Kerala
12 years ago

I am just curious why in a popular blogger forum no one bother to respond to a serious issue faced by a fellow blogger!

Tony John
Tony John
from Kerala
12 years ago

Animesh,

Thanks for the advice. I have changed the category to "Blogging Ethics". Hope that will help to get some suggestions from others.

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I am sure, you will get. Its visible on the main page now. I don't have any knowldge about it, so sorry, can't help you.

BTW, why don't you seek some legal help?

Tony John
Tony John
from Kerala
12 years ago

I could take legal help, but it is probably not going to help since the bad guys may be sitting somewhere the law cannot be enforced.

I have reported to Internet Explorer and Google Chrome that the site is involved in phishing scam. So probably the browsers will start showing warnings soon.

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

You won't know unless you seek advice from a lawyer. At least speak to someone, who knows he is under your reach

Abhishek
Abhishek
from Allahabad
12 years ago

That is so horrifying. You can put a notice in the sidebar alerting the readers about the scam.  This way atleas you will be less bothered about scam-notice.

img, #cubbies-overlay{ -moz-transition-property: margin, box-shadow, z-index; -moz-transition-duration: 0.1s; -webkit-transition-property: margin, box-shadow, z-index; -webkit-transition-duration: 0.1s; } .cubbies-selected{ z-index: 9999; box-shadow: 3px 3px 8px -1px blue !important; cursor: pointer !important; margin: -3px 3px 3px -3px; } .cubbies-selected:active{ box-shadow: 2px 2px 5px -1px darkblue !important; margin: -1px 1px 1px -1px; } #cubbies-overlay{ position: fixed; z-index: 9999; bottom: 30px; left: 30px; box-shadow: 0 2px 3px rgba(0,0,0,0.8); border: none; } #cubbies-overlay:hover{ box-shadow: 0 2px 3px rgb(0,0,0); }
Tony John
Tony John
from Kerala
12 years ago

@The Sorcerer,

That is not my site but all links point to my site. That is where the scam is.

That site has one and only one page - http://www.forum-windows-club.com/Archive/638720475.htm

That page looks like a forum thread, but it is not. It is a static html page made to cheat.

Here is the scam:

The owner of the site contacts other website owners saying he is interested in buying their website. Then he starts a negotiation. He offers an amount very close to the asking price. Say, if someone is asking $25,000, he will offer about $24,000, which will make the seller fall in to the trap. Now this guy will ask the seller to use a domain appraisal service and get a report. Later this guy will tell, "I found a good thread in a Windows site which suggests some good domain appraisal service. Take a look at it" and then he gives his scam site url.

Anyone who look at the site will think it is MyWindowsClub (my site) and will believe it is a genuine thread that suggests good domain appraisal service. Then the seller will go ahead and pay for the domain appraisal in the suggested site (which belong to the scammer) hoping to sell his site for a good price. The scammer gets $40 or $50 for the appraisal service and then the business ends there! (He is doing all these for a small amount)

See various people reporting this scam - http://www.google.co.in/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=%22http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forum-windows-club.com%22

Madhur Chadha
Madhur Chadha
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

Oh Man,

This is scary. Its exact copy of your website.

Why dont you ask the people sending you legal notices to send reports to go daddy . Maybe then go dady will listen

The URL is very diffrent ,you really are not liable for damages but it does damage your reputation

Thanks,

Madhur

Madhur Chadha
Madhur Chadha
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

another thing i saw in whois is that they are using services of

https://www.domainsbyproxy.com/Default.aspx

explore the possibility of reporting to them

They have a section to report a website misusing your brand name etc. Seems they get these request fairly

LockSign in to reply to this thread