Terms and Conditions

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Many of us always wished to have a big list of terms and conditions put up for every contest at IB. And finally, the current of Expedia has it. This is the first time I have read the terms and conditions documentation. And I did find some points in it funny and some interesting too. For example,

If, for any reason, the Contest (in whole or in part) is not capable of running by reason of damage by computer virus, worms, fraud, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, technical or system limitations or failures, acts of God or terrorist attacks, hacking, or any other causes which prevents the participant to participate in this Contest, Expedia shall not be responsible for the same

Now it is your turn to state what you feel about the lengthy document: funny, interesting or something else....

Replies 1 to 9 of 9 Descending
Raowords
Raowords
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

I am thinking of hiring a advocate to make understand these rules Tongue out

Ranjith, these are just lawyers gimmickery language, just in case some lawyer mentality winner, drags them to court, they can try to save themselves. 

imagine, just imagine, i have won, gone chirping to U.S., and abducted by terrorists in an uneventful tragic discourse. I had mental turbulences, and had to cough out handsome fortune to come back safely. Now I see expedia solely responsible for tragic event and drag them to hon'ble court of Law.

It will be that bleak occassion they will proudly furnish their above mentioned safety clause.

All events are imaginary.

DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Waste of time to read that lengthy page. Could not understand many points, the language is hi-fi. Its irritating more than anything else.
Pooja Pradeep
Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I read the First rule in TERMS & CONDITIONS and then closedWink.

I'm not old enough to participateTongue outTongue out. Thank godLaughing. I wouldnt have to read the further ConditionsTongue out

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Lucky you! Atleast you did not endure through the lengthy piece.
Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

I feel that the 10 000 prizes to be better than the mega prizes for some reason. If we win one of the first five prizes, are we allowed to change it to the lower prize of 10 000 Rs? Wink

Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I like this ideaSealed.

But I don't think they'll allow itSurprised. Very strict rulesUndecided

Pri
Pri
from Goa
12 years ago

@ pramod ji---Your explanation almost made me fall off my chair laughing...Now I am quite sure the Expedia team must have meant something along those lines or perhaps its just their sense of humour (like yours) at play there Wink

Yea Pri, these things look silly, but very valuable at times of crisis to get out of mess. Just one word can save or bury the whole megacorporate. P.S. No dogs were injured in writing.
Pri
Pri
from Goa
12 years ago

@ DS---I quite agree that the T & C section is quite confusing and seems a little too aggressive in its own way.

A shorter, more polite and clearer list would be a lot more appreciated.But then again, maybe that is their way of expressing serious business.

Like Raowords said, we better call our lawyers to explain what might be less obvious to our ignorant eye...lol!!! Tongue out

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Most terms and conditions are safety clauses to protect the owners from questioning.  Ultimately the favourites take away the prizes declared Smile

Rumbaho.com
Rumbaho.com
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

Actually, the T&C extract above is very standard for any contract. The hightlighted portion is actually included in most contracts that I have seen.

One phrase, very common in contracts, that is missing in the OP's extract is 'force majeure'. It's probably sitting in some other clause in the T&C.It refers to some unforseen or unavaoidable situation due to which the contract cannot be fulfilled.

There is nothing wrong in having clear T&C. It helps in case there is a legal claim at a future date.  It protects both parties. In case you are unsatisfied with the terms it is easy to just not participate.  

When you upload photos to FaceBook, for example, you are giving them total rights to use the photos in any way that FB sees fit. But since nobody reads the T&C or people don't care, they just go ahead and upload anyway.

LockSign in to reply to this thread