Steep Increase in Traffic violation fines ? Debate

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I believe the steep increases in traffic violation fines from Rs 100 to Rs 500 for jumping signals, Rs 100 to 500 for overspeeding, Rs 100 to Rs 500 for speaking on cellphone etc Drunken driving from Rs 1000/ to Rs 5000/- depending on the alcohol content.  This would only increase the scope of corruption to a large extent.  If the fines are collected based on camera evidence than the revenue will flow into the coffers of state govt.  I hope the fines are pruned down ?  No normal individual would like to violate traffic rules. Debate

Replies 1 to 6 of 6 Descending
TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Apparently the machines they use can get you caught even if you are not drunk. So hey day for police men. But yeah, people are pretty reckless on the road and something needs to be done.

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

If the meter is showing reading even when you are not drunk than it is sad state of affairs ?

DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Unless we have honest men patrolling the signals no amount of increase will work... You can always bribe and break the rules again.
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

With cameras in operation the policing near signals is supposed to be minimum.

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Thats good to use cameras but thats yet to be implemented!
Pattu Raj
Pattu Raj
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

I beg to differ.

Please dont get me wrong. Unless , these measures are taken , many will not oblige the traffic rules. Yes, corruption is there. But if you accept the challan and pay, there is no scope for corruption. We can  get to know the name of the offciials , if they misbehave?. We can always complain abou thtem, if not, grumble in our blogs. 

And all those road rage guys deserve the challan or payment whichever suits them. And this practice is needed to deter those mad driers on the roads. 

I wish to narrate an incident, meted by my son, at a traffic light in Delhi, constable wanted to fine him for taffic jumping, he argued , that he has not jumped the signal. He warned him that he is gonna charge him  for not showing papers, too. now the fine would be 1000 rs. My son said ,he has all the papers, you can check. To which he says, meekly, this you and I know, but not the documentation that I will make. Now my son said, to go ahead and make the statement and charge him. He is going to fil;e a case ofv bribery demand 0f 5000 r.s. and manhandling and use of atrocious abusive language. and it won't cost him anything to do, as his friend's dad is a lawyer.

Then the constable said , he hasn't done any thing like that. now my son says, this you and I know but not the documentation I am gonna file on you.

Now the constable says, I am double your age, you can go, but better be careful next time.

this incident is of 10days ago.

I only hope, fine increment will prove to be better for road sense, 

Gyanguru
Gyanguru
from New Delhi
12 years ago

The bill is yet to be passed, but i dont see any hurdles which come in way of getting the bill cleared. Once it is implemented, as Umesh said correctly it will increase the corruption. Instead of 100s or 200s they would also now speak of 300 to 500 as bribe. I dont know about Government's treasure, but their pesonal treasure would see an increase.

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Traffic disciplining is important but due to peak hour delays in traffic junctions makes people jump signals going to office, i believe such rare instances should be pardoned.  Secondly if one receives an emergency call than he or she should be spared.  Finally training of the motorist is important.  I too am for disciplined driving

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Peak hours delay is also mostly caused due to wrong driving. People do not follow lane discipline. Tell me how much time it saves, 5 minutes or max 10 minutes? Is that more important than life? Now, training part is also related to implemenation. We need to change the way we issue Driving Licenses. I remember writing a post on in long ago.

LockSign in to reply to this thread