Donating Sperms Debate

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Many students are making quick buck due to mushrooming demand by sperm banks.  It acts as pocket money.  The flip side according to me is it will end up in sex choice of the child.  The sperm banks will ensure that they provide the required gene for procreation of male child.  In this manner they make a fat sum and ratio of female populace will come down.  It is a sensitive topic so discretion is adviced rather than valour

Replies 1 to 11 of 11 Descending

It reminds me of HITLER'S Superior race.Hmm i have nothing to say, i don't find any mistakes in it.Technology helps both group of the people you mentioned.This will lead up to... Designing a baby, like designing a car shape color and selecting by our choice ! 

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Designer Or Superior babies is the right way to describe the same.  Well the clients are willing to pay more for the same, forgetting Bernad shaws fabled statement to a beautiful women.  But issue is breeding or birth of more male babies.  As it is the ratio of female populace is lesser.  Do we have regulation or controls in place.  

Sir, we have no controls over things around us :DTrend is changing i gues,, now everyone(mosty) prefers a female child.. Read in some news paper.I guess, we should not let them choose Gender while using this technology 

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Deepak, the banks pay upto 12 k i believe depending on the donors height, colour, religion and profession.  

Madhur Chadha
Madhur Chadha
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

i dont think sperm banks themselves can accuratly give you sperms that can help you select gender of the child. Yes there are technologies but they are not completly accurate 

plus this can be stopped by simply making it illegal.It is no different from knowing the sex of child before birth.

Selecting gender in sperm banks is illegal in Many countries such as UK

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

The demand for Male baby is high in India, greedy banks will make a fast buck by selling male gene at a premium, can regulation work ?

Madhur Chadha
Madhur Chadha
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

its the same question .."Did regulations making  pre natal gender detection as illegal work" If answer is Yes, Then we have a winner.

If answer is no then no point, one who wants a male baby will get it, natural or artificial way :)

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Pre natal detection leads to lot of abortion nowerdays, by paying the price people get away, who will bother to inform authorities and than testify ?

Madhur Chadha
Madhur Chadha
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

well then sperm banks wont make a diffrence after all:)

It is an existing issue not something sperm banks are bringing up

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

The sperm banks and IVF clincs make a fortune depending on the client seeking solace

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I am not sure how sperm back will bias gender ratios. People want male progeny of their line. Who would be interested in a male heir of same random guy. One can as well adopt a boy child if thats what they want. And if single females buy these spems, won't they prefer girl child? (If at all sperms can decide gender. Not sure of the technical possibility)

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
12 years ago

Though I don't have any opinion on this topic, this particular statement of yours surprises me: Many students are making quick buck due to mushrooming demand by sperm banks.  It acts as pocket money.

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Ranjith that is already a stale news, sperm donation is restricted to male above 21 but clinics accept students too without any qualm.  You can google search you will find plenty of articles on the subject.  I feel this aspect needs more regulation and upgrading to age of 25 with proper profiling.

Madhur Chadha
Madhur Chadha
from Hyderabad
12 years ago

@TF you gave a very goos news about chinese women ;)...in coming years a chinese visa also might be as valuable as a american visa some years ago :P

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

But as per my professor that is not the idea. Its actually the other way round. They want to escape the communist regime and male chauvenistic culture and come over this side of the border and have a comfortable life with a well earning IT professional

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

TF hope we don t have racist attacks on Indians in China for luring their womenfolk Lolz  This is what is happening down under

Pooja Pradeep
Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Test Tube BabySurprised

Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
12 years ago

The Sperm Banks do not have the necessary infrastructure to alter the genes of sperm. So sex choice is not plausible. 

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

The sperm bank and the IVF clinic combo have the technology to seperate the individual sperms and clean them too.  This obviously means that they will be able to determine the sex being conceived by the receipient. 

Purnendu
from Pune
12 years ago

As far as I know, only the lab in Hyderabad has that kind of expertise. 

Micky Fernandez
Micky Fernandez
from Kolkata
11 years ago

Has anyone watched Vicky Donor yet?

umesh derebail
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Not yet dear, did you watch the movie ?

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Was Umesh by any chance hired by the movie makers to create this thread as a pre release promotion by creating a buzz on the topic? 

Even if not, isn't that an interesting idea? Can't Indi folks approach movie producers for pre-release promotions here? Maybe thats an idea for new contests.

FAIZAL U
FAIZAL U
from CALICUT
11 years ago

The sperm bank it is against the natural way of fertilization .. also its against the natural selection .

LockSign in to reply to this thread