Wordpress registered Email id needs login.

Leo
Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

not able to comment as guest on Wp blog without logging in to Wordpress if email registered before with Wordpress. are u facing same problem? know a fix for it?

Edit: Sometime within the last 24 hrs, WordPress is now requiring that visitors login in order to comment using their gravatars (previously, you could just paste your gravatar email into the comment form). Non-gravatar email addressess still work in the comment form like they used to.

Please try logging in to your Gravatar accounts and commenting!

Edit (16/3): No solution suggested, and the commenting system still not returned to the old way. Complaints are pouring in at the WP.com support forum.

Edit (18/3): This was posted by a WP Keymaster,  "WordPress.com and Gravatar.com accounts are the same thing. Accounts for each service work on the other. So if you've only ever used Gravatar, you can log into WordPress.com using your Gravatar account (and vice versa) to post using your registered email address."   The commenting system however sees no changes as of now, except in the error message for login. The support staff are at present on break, and will be returning only later today or tomorrow, as per intimation.

Edited 12 years ago
Reason: Update To Situation
Replies 1 to 6 of 6 Descending
Pooja Pradeep
Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I'm facing the same issueFrown. Tried to comment but it keeps saying "YOU HAVE TO LOGIN WITH THAT ACCOUNT"Undecided.

If you find a fixSurprisedDo let me knowEmbarassed

Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago
try commenting from another email plz Poo n tell me...
Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

OMGSurprisedThat workedSurprised

Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago
exactly. I think that's the issue. email registered with Wordpress before needs login. must be a recent addition.
Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

But, I haven't registered with WPSurprised

Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago
oh. weird. will see my settings once home. update here uf i think.find error.
Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Hmm. SureSurprised

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

If you are logged in to the email account with which you are commenting, you can comment. Nothing like registered or unregistered.

Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Tried that alsoUndecided. First time I tried commenting with my Email it didn't accept then I logged in It didn't accept. Now I commented with other ID without logging in and it workedSurprised

Leo
Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

There seems to have been a partial allowance to the comment system at WP.

People, if the facility allows it, can leave comments without an e-mail ID. 

I do not know how much better that is...

Leo
Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

The error page asking users to log in has been modified. It shows now "That email address is associated with an existing WordPress.com account, please log in to use it." 

However, it neglects that Gravatar is now taken as part of Wordpress, so any e-mail associated with a gravatar account would also need logging in @ gravatar.

Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Surprised I triedSurprised. It gave the message as you saidUndecided. then I created a wordpress accountTongue outand it workedWink. Didn't ask for GravatarSurprised

Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

Oh is it? I see.. the support thread says if you have a WP account where password you have forgotten, then 

http://wordpress.com/wp-login.php?action=lostpassword

can be used to retrieve it. again, doesn't mention Gravatar, and I dont think it is a Gravatar problem as many of the complainees are insinuating either. Will update thread if further development on this is known.

Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Smile

Leo
Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago
Clarification:- WordPress.com and Gravatar.com accounts are the same thing. Accounts for each service work on the other. So if you've only ever used Gravatar, you can log into WordPress.com using your Gravatar account (and vice versa) to post using your registered email address.
Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago
This was posted by a keymaster at Wp.com forum.
Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

HmmmSmile. Good. But still it is a painUndecided

Debajyoti Ghosh
Debajyoti Ghosh
from Silchar
12 years ago

so many times i had to type the entire comment again because of this error message.

aame
aame
from Tokyo
12 years ago
Wp update on comments : hope it helps ! Robin #

Very good advice. It’s always lovely when someone leaves a comment. However, I’ve been getting emails from people who used to comment who are now unable to comment due to some glitches with WP’s new sign in to comment system. Some are people who have never had WP accounts. Some are people who had a WP account but moved on to self-hosted blogs and don’t want to have to sign in to their old WP account. Several people have commented at the WP Forums but the response from WP has been a sticky post that doesn’t solve the problem. Any suggestions? I really ♥ WP, and hope to see this resolved so people can comment as and when they would like. I’m not sure why the change was made in the first place.

April 3, 2012 Reply
  • Erica V. #

Thanks for asking this! Anyone who doesn’t want to sign into their WordPress.com account doesn’t have to, but they will either need to change the email connected to their WordPress.com/Gravatar account or use a different email when filling out the comment form.

For example, if one of your commenters who’s moved to self-hosted doesn’t want to sign into his/her WordPress.com account, they may want to log into WordPress.com one time to switch out the email connected to their account. (Feel free to have them get in touch if they have any trouble.)

LockSign in to reply to this thread