Blogger To WordPress

Pooja Pradeep
Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Hello,Innocent

Everyone keeps telling that Wordpress is better than BloggerCoolWink, So I was kind of thinking to shift my blog to WordpressLaughingCool. Not SweetSomethingz but my other blog, Creativity PersonifiedEmbarassedInnocent.

It is a new one, and I have just 5 posts in itWink

Is it a good idea?SurprisedUndecided.

Please let me knowLaughingand moreover, I have never used wordpress beforeSurprisedso it would be really helpful if you can guide meWinkLaughing.

Thanks in advanceSmile.

Replies 1 to 4 of 4 Descending
Leo
Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

Wordpress.com is good, but only if you wouldn't mind sticking to a simple template. There cannot be multiple customizations, like fonts and font sizes.. not all templates support headers, and there is no javascript widgets either. Advantage would be the spam detection of Akismet, and the threaded comments, which look attractive; however, Wordpress has now changed their commenting system, which is now sort of problematic to non-Wordpress users who want to  comment for your blog.

Wordpress.org, self hosting, might be more useful, but I cannot comment on that part, as I do not use it.

Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

HmmmUndecided. Well Font and Template is not a matterWink.

New comments are what I am worrying aboutCry

Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

People will be able to comment, that is not a problem.. only, that email shouldn't be registered with a WP account.

Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

if you need to use that e-mail ID to comment as a guest user.

Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Thats what I saidSurprisedhmmmUndecided

Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

Keep an eye out on the WP comment fiasco thread of mine. If any updates, or traverse back to the awesome old format, I'll let you know.

However, in a general way, I think, keeping comments aside, you can do a trial blog on Wordpress with your other one. Check for a while if you are comfortable in the platform and the post editor, dashboard etc. Because it takes time for one to get adjusted to the user interface I feel on WP.com. 

New system is a pain on wordpress.,
Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

@PL, agree, 200% yaar, and they didn't tell us bloggers that they would be doing it too, so it was shocking when Ani pinged saying I've put some login system! 

Blogger works fine :)

i have both WP and blogger, i feel blogger as comfortable and user friendly !

Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

Seconded. 

Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I love BloggerLaughingbut everyone is like WORDPRESS IS BESTTongue out

Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
12 years ago

By wordpress, do you mean Wordpress.com or Wordpress.org ?

Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Hmm! There are two?Surprised

Purnendu
from Pune
12 years ago

Wordpress.com is the counterpart of Blogger. On the web, and easy to use. However they do not allow adsense or widgets and are not free after an extent.

Wordpress.org is an open source free platform which has evolved into a CMS in itself. For this one does typically this :

1. Buy a domain

2. Buy webhosting

3. Install Wordpress on Host

4. install a theme

5. Start posting

It is more like a website than a blog and gives you complete freedom to do what you wish. It also allows you to make use of many open source plugins and widgets designed for wordpress. However there is a cost asscoiated, for the hosting and domain you may need to pay around 3000 per year. 

Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Thanks JhiSmile. Really InformativeLaughing

Asif
Asif
from Chennai
12 years ago

I have used blogger for a short while, tumblr for quite some time, wordpress.com and now on wordpress.org.

I have never been quite a fan of blogger (in fact hate it after they put in a mechanism to censor blogs with the introduction of country suffix to address). But would vouch for tumblr and wordpress.

Wordpress.com has only one disadvantage as far as I am concerned you will not be able to use many widgets or javascripts (but most of them do not add any value anyways). The widgets that are available with wordpress are more than sufficient.

With respect to writing a post, wordpress integrates with Zemanta and throws related posts and images which are pretty cool.

Commenting I have never had a problem commenting on wordpress sites or people commenting on mine. On the contrary more often than not, I run into issues commenting on blogger sites and it has happened to a few of my friends too.

Since you have only 5 posts in the blog that you are planning to move, you can try it out for a few weeks. 

If you have the technical know-how you can shift to a self-hosted wordpress.org blog also which gives you endless possibilities.

Regards

Asif

Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Thanks a lot for helping AsifSmileWill surely try it outWink

LockSign in to reply to this thread