Unrelated threads and replies?

Kirti
Kirti
from Kharagpur, west bengal
12 years ago

I am recently obeserving on indi forum many topics unrelated to blogging. Well intially, when i was new on indi, I wanted to start a thread on 'your favorite music bands' but i saw this line Please post topics related to blogging! and I hesitated.

there are some topics WORTH discussing like the current affairs in India and other stuff which DESERVE a discussion(like cricket and the fun threads we have :P) but some topics are eye-brow raising and TOTALLY unrelated.

What is your say in this? should Indiblogger threads be reserved to blogging topics only and the worthwhile discussions? or ANY random topic would do too? talking for the sake of talking? or talking with a purpose?

Share your views. 

Edited 12 years ago
Reason: the context of the topic shifted.
Replies 1 to 9 of 9 Descending
Pooja Pradeep
Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

WellSurprisedEvery Topic is worth DiscussingSmileBut it should be posted in the CORRECT CATEGORYCoolLaughing.

If its related to Blogging then Either in Blogging Beginners or Blogging Ethics

If it is related to Indi then IndiBlogger.in Questions

Serious discussion and such stuff in Social Causes & Activities and Regions & Languages

Related to Addons and Blogging but in a GENERAL way then Content & Inspiration and Monetization & SEO

All others in General & Off Topic

THATS WHAT I THINKTongue outCool

Kirti
12 years ago

if this is so the case Pooja then i think that disclaimer line should be taken off. people ignore it anyways...

Kirti
12 years ago

and every topic is WORTH discussing? how about me starting a thread on the celebrity crushes i had?? would that be worth discussing too??

Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Surprised

DS
DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
I agree. TOO many unnecessary threads now-a-days on Indi. It has kind of become another chat place.
Kirti
12 years ago

exactly my point. why not keep the unrealted discussions to indi TALK rather than indi FORUM. i think the purpose of both has been clear from the very beginning...

Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

AgreeTongue out. I am one of those who create themUndecided

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I am sorry for being this blunt, but let me be honest this time.

Reason is the race for IndiHero

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
I concur.
Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Agree with you too AniSurprised

Kirti
12 years ago

dont you think i am being blunt over this too Ani? and its not with the threads only... commenting just for the SAKE of commenting has become quite a trend too...

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
What people must realise is that bloggers like Arti and Hemal made those replies in a period of time on threads with genuine answers and replies. Thats why they are revered, to just go on replying and re-replying just for the sake of increasing your replies is madness. You might become visible on the Indihero list, but no one will take you seriously.
Kirti
12 years ago

I second you point DS. as i said, commenting just for the SAKE for commenting and giving your honest views. two entirely DIFFERENT things altogether. but the difference i feel, is lost these days.

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

It took me more than one and half year. Arti achieved this by reviewing blogs. Hemal is here for more than four years.

Hope that clarifies.

Kirti, thanks for this thread. I wanted to say this for a long time, but did not for the fear of igniting a controversy.

Kirti
12 years ago

even i am fearful of raising a controversy here Ani, seeing that i am too young and much less experienced than you all. but what the hell, spamming indi with all this rubbish is simply not done. someone HAD to raise this...

DS
from Mumbai
12 years ago
Me too here for over a year now. And I second Ani, even I wanted to say this but thought otherwise. BRAVE GIRL you are NS! Kudos.
Kirti
12 years ago

thank you for seconding me DS, Ani. i realised that Indi has changed in ways i didnt like. its not the same place it used to be as before. partly because of all this stuff. and i thought i should know what other's views are over this too...

nothing brave DS :P glad you think so too :P hope this is not an unrelated thread either :P :P

Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I third you KirtiLaughing

Leo
Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

I too agree with Ani. yes, I am excited about being one who is active on Indi threads.. but that hero stuff needs to vanish I feel. There is no difference. There are people who are more active now, and some who've left. With no offence to past Indiheroes like Deepak and Mag, there are ppl like TF and DK etc. who contribute actively to the forum in a useful way. TF esp I feel, with his blog reviews therad, and then the relay race etc, and when called upon, giving a good sensible reply. They also should be recognized. I do revere and respect both Hemal and Arti, both dear friends.. and I know they've got to the peak by scaling it and not taking a ride up.

Regards the thread topic itself, I feel that not every single thing needs to be counted. Some are fun, bringing memories.. some are general troubles.. but there are threads which are supposed to be blog posts, or in some cases, are already blog posts just pasted here. Those can be removed. I disagree with Pooja saying whatever other topics can be put in General and Off-topic. That is not at all visible on the main forum page. People who come to forum and are new to it will never know that such a topic exists. In the end, that threads too will become extinct. Such discussion can go on Inditalk. 

If it is possible, I'd say to do away with the threads congratulating "heroes". They are to be recognized, but not all.. 

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I have a different POV on that. My celebrity crush may not be worth discussing, but everyone's crush may be. Song choice for one's blog may not be relevant, but everyone's playlist may be. Off-course all this has to go to General and off-topic category. But again as I said earlier, others may think differently and in a relative world it is bound to happen.

Kirti
12 years ago

by saying i wanted to start a thread on 'your favorite music bands' i think i meant starting a thread on everyone's playlist choice! but i didnt because i thought it wouldnt be in sync with the spirit of discussions here!  and talking about teenage crushes on indi?? i thought the topics had to be related with blogging. sure then, take off that request line and i have a 100 unrelated topics to talk upon then... physics would just be a beginning...

Kirti
12 years ago

frankly, i didnt even KNOW what an indi forum hero thingy was when i first came here.and you talk about recognition leo? i think TF is pretty famous even without being a forum hero. so were you. you think this would make a difference? it frankly wont! to people like me who believes in recognizing a blogger from the thing he does the best- blogging!! to me TF would still be the guy who puts forth some really valid points on a forum thread even if he becomes some indi hero tmrw! to me YOU still are the awe inspiring poet. not THE indi hero Leo but THE Leo who happens to be an indi hero.

and i dont understand why the topic of indi HEROES has cropped up in this thread... cant find even a remote relation with UNRELATED threads. if indi hero is a part of indiblogger and indiforum, how the hell could it be UNRELATED then?

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Kirti, I repeat all such topics should go to relevant category and for everuthing which is not covered anywhere else, there is a category called General and Off-topic. There is a reason why it is hidden. Simply because, it is not related to blogging!

Mohini Puranik
Mohini Puranik
from Dhule
12 years ago

I am also confused a bit, try to post blogging related topics.  Recent topics I see are much related to blogging, so I am much active again. 

Kirti
12 years ago

hehe. confusion is what made me start this thread Mohinee ji :P and sure i agree some interesting blogging related topics have started too. good to see you aactive again... :)

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Well, Kirti - Any topic can theoretically come under content and inspiration.

If you post under general and off topic, it does not come under display on right side bar and no one replies. I think Indi blogger can remove this general and off topic category as it is no use posting there. It is like creating a category called spam and asking all spam posters to post there. How may do you think will post there?

Kirti
12 years ago

not many would post TF. it would be a direct blow below the belt :P but if that STOPS spamming of indi, maybe the 'general and off topic' SHOULD become 'spam' :P :P

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I think to avoid commenting for the sake of commenting, Indi blogger can introduce feature of not allowing posts of less than 10-15 words. Another forum that I am a member of had this feature.

Kirti
12 years ago

errr... most of my comments on this forum are a page long :P and which forum?

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Its a forum called pagalguy

Kirti
12 years ago

cooooool. sounds like a place for me :P

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
12 years ago

I believe more than unrelated topic or blogging dicussion if a thread contains too much of one liner dicussion than it too is bad.  This trend may ultimately restrict the bandwith.  It has happened in another forum, and they had to request or warn members not to post multiple replies for a thread.  I don t know what is the position of Indiblogger

Kirti
12 years ago

hope the bandwidth isnt restricted here. there have been many single lined comments recently :P

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

IndiBlogger was down due to bandwidth issues in past. Original Active bloggers had to be deleted and it was re-initiated. When it comes to bandwidth, its not only what you post here, many people subscribe to replies and hence, mails also consume bandwidth.

Antara
Antara
from Kharagpur
12 years ago

Even in General and Off-topic, there should be some kind of limit right? I mean it is one thing writing about 'How music inspires you and which kind of music does' and quite a different thing thing writing 'right now i am listening to coldplay'. The latter doesn't contribute does it? It doesn't motivate you to want to write about it. Or even ponder upon it. He/she listens to coldplay...big deal. But if the thread is about everyone writing about music as their proper muse and how music exactly makes them write/take photos/blog in general, then it becomes relevant.

Kirti
12 years ago

agreed. if all such things are posted then it would be the same as Facebook. i mean people post status like that all the time. there would be no difference between an itellectualy site as this and FB...

Pooja Pradeep
Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I take back what I said earlierSurprised. I have to agree with you Kirti. Not every topic can be discussedSurprisedIt can be done in IndiTalkSmile. Moreover, if everyone started a thread for their interests then Indi would be filled with totally Unrelated threadsUndecided. Which obviously no one would likeCry. Yeah, there are some which are useful and helpful but some are totally unrelatedSurprised.

So I want to know one thing, which topics can be considered RELATED?Undecided. I mean "Live-In Relationships" is not related, neither is "What the stars say about you" but still they are on the forumsSurprisedand everyone is replyingUndecided. I mean, when these all can be discussed well so can be the topic of MUSIC right?Surprised I mean, one topic is enoughUndecidedEveryone can discuss music there onlyWinkbut then again it is unrelatedUndecided.

If this is considered as Unrelated and not allowed to posted, then why are the other topics?Surprised

I have to agree with Ani you knowSurprised. Too many Threads are because of the RACE for IndiHeroesUndecided. Even I had created ONE THREAD so that I can increase my postsSurprised. But I realised my mistake and asked Ani to remove itSmile. Moreover, I also have to agree with his point saying that being a INDIHERO is not everythingSmile. There are so many people who are very helpful even though they are not in Heroes listSmile.

Moreover, I diagree with TF JHI's comment of making sure the REPLY has atleast 10-15 wordsSurprised. I mainly reply to only those threads which are SPAMUndecided. I post SPAM SPAM SPAMTongue outand then call some MODYell. So yeah, doing that would make me post SPAM 10 timesTongue out.

LockSign in to reply to this thread