Let's talk about health, guys.

Tanveer Khan
Tanveer Khan
from Lucknow
12 years ago

Not a single active thread about obesity, exercise, fitness and weight-loss?

Those topics (about gays and live-in) may be sensationalist, but they are still meaningless when compared to obesity. Obesity is life-threatening. It's slowly reaching epidemic proportions in India.

A lot of diseases are connected with lifestyle, and by properly educating ourselves and others we can save so many lives.

Nutrition is one area about which majority of us are ignorant. We believe in popping a pill for every ailment. What we don't know is that our body can heal itself if we make some effort and change our lifestyles.

You can't stay happy unless you are healthy. I hope we can kick-start a discussion about this crucial issue.

Edited 12 years ago
Reason: It was getting too controversial
Replies 1 to 9 of 9 Descending
Gayathri
Gayathri
from Chennai
12 years ago

I agree.. health and fitness is my favourite genre... :)

Tanveer Khan
from Lucknow
12 years ago

Mine too. I converted my parents into exercise lovers. Laughing

In past 1 year I have learned a lot about nutrition.If someone wants to start, I would recommend Morgan Spurlock's documentary 'Supersize me'. It's about Mc'Donalds and obesity crisis in USA. I am afraid the same thing is going to happen in India as well within a decade or so.

Gayathri
from Chennai
12 years ago

Tanveer... don't you think it is already the case? :)

Leo
Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

Tanveer, there are a lot of topics that I will consider meaningless, but it might be meaningful to others.

I agree that your topic is important, and would need debate etc. but if I would suggest something before entering this discussion thread, I would request you to reword your title and thread description. It would make a more healthier and direct discussion, rather than a side-debate between you and the creators of those threads, saying theirs is important too. 

Tanveer Khan
from Lucknow
12 years ago

Leo I used such a thread title because I felt it will divert people's attention towards this critical issue which nobody is paying attention to.

I never said those topics are meaningless. I said 'comparatively'.

Tanveer Khan
Tanveer Khan
from Lucknow
12 years ago

but this was my thread.....Undecided

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Where you commented on other threads's usefulness

Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

Tanveer ji.. Smile we are not debating that it is not your thread... it is very much yours.. and you have the right to initiate debate... 

Like I said earlier... 

Those topics (about gays and live-in) may be sensationalist, but they are still meaningless when compared to obesity

This line, along with the title.. is what is the issue. Your POV that those threads and their topics of debate are sensationalist, and meaningless in comparision to this issue. Others might not find it so right? You may like coffee and find it much better in a cafe, but others would be there who prefer tea, or lime juice, right? You can't say tea n lime juice are meaningless there.. Smile I hope you understand...

Please, initiate the debate rather than criticize or call other threads meaningless in comparison to this one. That's all Ani and I have requested of you...Smile

Tanveer Khan
Tanveer Khan
from Lucknow
12 years ago

okay, please allow me to explain why I chose this title.

This title was chosen out of frustration.

Today in every media people love to discuss sexual preferences and how much they support people with different sex preferences. It baffles me why so much of prime time is devoted to these topics, when there are other critical issues around. 

Have you ever wondered why there are so few TV discussions about harmful effects of junk food and whether govt. should put additional taxes on fast food chains, just like it does on tobacco products? It's because the TV channels want the advertising money of soft drink companies and fast food chains. 

When I said those topics are 'comparatively meaningless' I was talking about our priorities. Why so much of time is devoted on those topics, when it's a completely private and personal issue.

I was also frustrated because I have seen people who blame everyone (other than themselves)for their problems. I have friends who complain abut their health, and yet they chose to do nothing about it. Ask them about their opinions about terrorism, or same-sex marriages, and they champion their cause with great enthusiasm but try to discuss whether nutritional science and physical education should be a compulsory subject in schools, and they are completely indifferent about the issue. 

I am sorry Animesh if you are taking it as a personal attack. I just felt we, as bloggers, need to create awareness about more threatening issues first.

remo@b'lore
from Bangalore
12 years ago

I would say the purpose of the thread is not reached if you provide a misleading topic and expect people to discuss your topic. If they are drarn to this topic by the topic name, they will just limit their discussion to the same and leave. I don't suppose you wanted to start another discussion thread on LGBT or live-in relationships.

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

Its not about being personally attacked. But, I repeat again, stop using the word meaningless, comparatively or otherwise. It may be meaningless for you, not for others. I am tired to see so many cookery shows, but it does not make them useless. They are very useful for others.

On one hand, you say sorry and on another, you keep on saying they are meaningless topics (may be comparatively). Why are they less important? Why not equally important if not more? We're talking about discrimination in society with a class of people, why is not that important?

It would have been a private and personal issue, had the so called leaders of society not interferred. People discriminate on the basis of sexual preference, how come it remains private and personal then? Anyway, It would be in forum's interest if you change the title and discription of the thread.

Leo
Leo
from Bengaluru
12 years ago

Dear Tanveer,

You are talking of priorities.. why not put that as the title? And emphasize that in your description?! A title like "Time now to prioritize Good Health and Living" or "Obesity: A prime issue" and then talking and initiating a debate... that would be right rather than comparing other issues to it. You are very much correct, there is less media attention given to such topics, and it must be. But a TV series, "Is Obesity more important than Indian Cricket" or along the lines would be met with both sides... your side would be heard, but the debate would not just focus on your part, but also on why you are comparing the other part.. 

It is good that you are trying to create awareness for the threatening issues first. Kudos... please keep that will strong.. but forcing your POV on others is not debating or discussing in a healthy manner (no pun intended).. 

Tanveer Khan
Tanveer Khan
from Lucknow
12 years ago

Okay, so I have edited the title.

Lets Talk about Health :D

Gayathri
from Chennai
12 years ago

Dee.. love your sense of humour! :D

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
12 years ago

Yeah. Lets forget all this and get to the point. I got a tummy. So how do I get rid of it without reducing my blogging time and losing out on the office rat race or cutting back on time for my family? 

Gayathri
Gayathri
from Chennai
12 years ago

Wake up early and start jogging, join a gym a kilometer away from your house... jog to the gym, work out there... Make sure you choose a gym that has proper physio and if you can afford a personal trainer go for a plan that allows you to use a trainer who will give you individual attention when you workout... follow the diet..! Walk a lot... helps a lot!! :P

LockSign in to reply to this thread