57% Adolescent Boys Support Wife-Beating!!!

In UNICEF's Global Report Card on Adolescnets 2012, A shocking revelation has come up. 57% of boys and 53% of girls aged between 15-19 says or support that hitting or beating a wife is justified. 

It is really pathetic that more than half of the boys are in a support of an act which is totally against humanity. What's more shocking is that women doesn't find anything wrong in this, and has taken themselves for be "inferior" to the counterpart. 

I am actually shocked to see that children of this age in 2012 still have such mentality. I'd like to know your views on this study and how can we actually tackle this through it's roots?

The full report can be seen here.

Edited 11 years ago
Reason: Link added
Replies 1 to 8 of 8 Descending
Pooja Pradeep
Pooja Pradeep
from Bangalore
11 years ago

MENTAL-ityUndecided. Wife beating supportedSurprised that too by girlsSurprised. Let those teens get marriedWinkand then say the sameUndecided

Its height of stupidityUndecided

Micky Fernandez
Micky Fernandez
from Kolkata
11 years ago

I read that in today's newspaper. I guess in a few more years there will be many, many, many people becoming Indian police officers, Indian military personnel, Indian politicians and other positions where this horrific practice is rewarded.

every act bears fruits, bad act bad fruits, good act good fruits. but the time taken for fruits to come is so long that people donot know of it as a reward/punishment of their earlier deeds. let those insolent fools, whatever percent they are, think and do, but it's high time ethics, morals , humanity etc. too be on our schools teaching agenda, and tought and pushed into their heads. 

I completely agree, such things should be taught since the beginning. And everyone should have the ideology of what is ethically right and what is wrong.

And apart from school, general awareness needs to be there against domestic violence. There are many illiterate, and RTE will take some time till it's effect are visible. 

Also, I know how I've spent my Moral Science classes. WinkTongue out

indu chhibber
indu chhibber
from Kota
11 years ago

If it is a global news then it means all over the world---i wonder where they took the samples,how representative they were of youths of all creeds,classes & communities---this looks like a huge generalization-i have not read the news yet but shall find it .

The study was conducted globally, But these statistics are for India only. 

I think it was done by UNICEF, so they might have been fair, but I'm still going through their official report. 

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
11 years ago

Stats like these make me wonder what kind of a world we're building. 57%?! That's just sad.

Men don't hit women. Cowards do.

indu chhibber
from Kota
11 years ago

Very true ; & imbeciles & weaklings.

I completely agree with you. This is truely a sad thing.

Micky Fernandez
Micky Fernandez
from Kolkata
11 years ago

In today's newspaper, is an article that states:

A study on child abuse conducted by the WCD ministry found that more than 53% children reported having faced one or more forms of sexual abuse. More importantly , 50% abusers were reported to be known to the child or were people who were in a position of trust or responsibility with respect to the child. 

They are basically the same percentage. It seems to me that there is a causal connection between being abused and abusing others. This is stated eloquently by Stefan Molyneux in his recent blog post.

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Agree with Micky - all this child abuse, wife beating and all are just specifics. Seems like there is basic of steak of cruelty in human nature. As long as that remains it manifests in different forms.

As they say, an unfinished pot can be molded in any way the potter wants.. It's actually the environment these children get at a very age in their life, that they start believing that this is right... This needs to be stopped, at an early age, and the only solution is EDUCATION!!

umesh derebail
umesh derebail
from Mumbai
11 years ago

I believe it is an erraneous survey aimed at increasing readership and adding sensational value.  I believe wife beaters in percentage has definitely come down over the ears.  Most of them resort to in a drunken or depressed state.  Assuming that 80% of the people are in normal state, this conclusion can be thrown out of the window literally.  Let us hope to maintain equality among genders particularly when they are married.

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

You are right. We have no clue what question they asked the respondents, what they responded and how they intrepreted it.

This study has been conducted by the UNICEF all over the world. Please have a look at the report (link above).

UNICEF has nothing against India to show wrong figures. I think UNICEF conducts the most accurate survey. 

LockSign in to reply to this thread