Write a novel?

Antarik Anwesan
Antarik Anwesan
from New Delhi
12 years ago

I have had the story idea for what I think could be a good book since over two years now. What I don't know is how to go about it. I mean, it's not just another blog entry that you can come up with in an hour's sitting in front of the computer screen, is it?

I have looked up the net but I would prefer getting answers from professional writers themselves and indi was the first thing that came up in my mind now. 

Anybody out there who could provide with some 'how to start writing a book?' tips? ;)

Replies 1 to 5 of 5 Descending
Antarik Anwesan
Antarik Anwesan
from New Delhi
12 years ago

Yeah. I am trying to outline the whole thing right now. The outlining is itself going to take some time. I don't know how to mention the approx word count with each section. I think only when I start writing the draft that I will get to know how descriptive I am and how long a particular section is going to be.

Thank you for your reply :)

Animesh
from Mumbai
12 years ago

This is what I did. While outlining, I also mentioned what all things I'll cover in that particular section. And I went to as detaliled level as possible and required. It gave me a fair idea about what all I want to put there, what was unnecessary and how long would that be or in better words, should that be

Abhsihek Boinapalli
Abhsihek Boinapalli
from Hyderabad
11 years ago

The first thing is , read a few books *many books would be better*

you would come to know how to write a story!!

then participate in flash - fiction challenges .. that would bring out the writer in you!!

Yatin Khurana
from delhi
11 years ago

yeah!! quite this

Antarik Anwesan
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Yeah, reading- I do that...but flas-fiction- would that actually help? I mean, flash fiction n a novel can be quite different...isn't it?

You are confined to one thing in a flash-fiction. With a novel, since it's ur own, you are free to turn it the way you wish...

Rahul
Rahul
from Kolkata
11 years ago

Blogging just takes one hour of sitting in front of the computer screen? :-O My fiction posts take up an entire half-day.......:-D Trust me dude,writing something which you really really care about,and want others to appreciate...it takes time and patience! :-) The thing is,while writing,you will sometimes get into the 'zone'.Where brilliant connections will just spring to the front of your mind like they had been held back by a catapult band all along.The key is,keep a notebook handy to jot down these ideas as and when they pop to your mind.Trust me,they will prove very very useful later on.:-) Best of luck.

Antarik Anwesan
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Thats a suggestion I must remember. Thanks Rahul :)

... and I thought book writing was an easy task! Embarassed

Yatin Khurana
from delhi
11 years ago

it is an easy task :-D

see just write "a book" and even you wrote it once#lamerME 

Nirati
Nirati
from Mumbai
11 years ago

I agree with what Captain Awesome commented, also, there is this site called Wattpad, where amateur people write and put up their stories, and some of the really successful ones then got offers from Amazon and everything. You can go check it out? 

Antarik Anwesan
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Will surely see that.. Thanks :)

LockSign in to reply to this thread