Magazine Styled Themes: Boon or Bane

Hitched Hiker
Hitched Hiker
from Mumbai
14 years ago

A lot of bloggers today are using Magazine Styled Themes (MST) for their blogs nowadays. Myself included. These themes were originally used only by serious bloggers because maintaining these was a lot of work. But today you can find good free MSTs which require very little work and therefore, casual bloggers are also adopting them.

The problem is that these themes require your blog to have a lot of content and not only that but also a lot of different content. Casual bloggers using these themes tend to lose focus in trying to keep up with the various sections that require their attention and hence really end up mugging the whole thing.

On the other hand, a MST may also motivate a casual blogger to upgrade and become a more not so casual blogger. It may also motivate them to explore new topics to post about and new place to write about.

So how many of you have tried MSTs and what did you end up using ultimately?

Replies 1 to 3 of 3 Descending
ARJuna
ARJuna
from Mumbai
14 years ago

I am belong to the casual blogger category. However what you have said above has got me interested. Please could you guide us as to where we can find such MST's???

Thanks.

http://worldofteenager.blogspot.com

rads
rads
from Chicago
14 years ago

I wanted to try an MST coz my blog is just not a personal blog about myself n my musings n rants but it has a lot of different content, like you said. But since I'm not a serious or professional blogger I thought it might not suit my blog. Your template looks great and by coincidence I wanted to use the same template for mine. But finally I chose a simple 3-column template that I thought suited my blog well. Please check and let me know if I did the right thing. Thanks.

http://rads-blogazine.blogspot.com

Hitched Hiker
Hitched Hiker
from Mumbai
14 years ago

@ARJuna

Just do a simple google search for "Free Magazine Style Wordpress Theme" and you will get the usual 20 or so free themes that you can use. However, you need to have your own domain and wordpress blog to use these. You cannot use them on wordpress.com. These are meant for Wordpress.org

@rads

I have used and discarded about 4 MSTs till now. I too ama casual blogger but I really like the look that an MST gives to your blog. Having used these for so long I now know what to keep where on the page and an MST gives you that flexibility.

rads
from Chicago
14 years ago

Yea MSTs are more user-friendly and make browsing through articles easy. It also helps the author to organize the blog well.

LockSign in to reply to this thread