Variety, the spice of life?

Pavan
Pavan
from Bangalore
15 years ago

Hello, fellow indibloggers! I was wondering what the reception was for a blog that touches various topics and caters to different domains. So I ask you this question. What do you think? I know it is too simple a question to ask. But I don't think the same can be said about the answer. Am I right? :P

Replies 1 to 4 of 4 Descending
Amitabh Mukherjee
Amitabh Mukherjee
from Bangalore
15 years ago

Pavan,

Which blog are you talking about?Not sure.

Cheers!

Pavan
Pavan
from Bangalore
15 years ago

All of them. I am especially talking about blogs which tend to a WIDE variety of topics.

Care to take a Look?

Renie Ravin
Renie Ravin
from Chennai
15 years ago

@Pavan - the problem with a blog that caters to too many topics is that it loses returning visitors. Picture yourself googling a topic and finding a blog post. You like the post, so you bookmark/subscribe to that blog. Later on, every time you check that blog, you find topics which are of no interest to you - and you never return again.

So you need to decide - do you want random search engine traffic, or do you want returning visitors?

Returning visitors tend to link back to you more often and increases your search engine rankings.

Also, Google likes domains that cater to more focused areas. Their algorithm checks for related keywords, and a domain that has every keyword under the sun loses it's overall relevance.

That's my opinion, based on my experience - perhaps someone else like Binaryday would be able to add something?

Pavan
Pavan
from Bangalore
15 years ago

Renie

But what about my blog which is pretty diversified? Have you visited? To prevent any misleading, we(me and Harsha) made a sticky which is like the map to all our posts.

Care to take a Look?

LockSign in to reply to this thread