Shameful day for India

Mischief Manager
Mischief Manager
from Gandhinagar
11 years ago

Another black mark on India.  By now everyone must have heard about the Guwahati case. Even talking about it makes me feel guilty, that being a boy, people of my gender could do such things and go to such crazy limits. 

The people who are not aware of the guwahati case. Hear is a summary.

it was a girl's birthday party 4 girls, 2 boys go to a pub something happens and all of them are thrown out then 20 rowdy people, catch hold of that girl.. and then strip here, molest her.. and all that stuff 30 min.. 20 people do that. 1 guy video shoots it and no one comes to rescue. 30 mins later, police come... free the girl, take her to her home... NO COMPLAINTS!

that boy then uploads that video to youtube.

what can be done to avoid this.. and why till now we haven't been able to tackle such problem even after numerous such cases have happened..???Your views please.NO offence.  

Replies 1 to 6 of 6 Descending
Shruti chaturvedi
Shruti chaturvedi
from Ahmedabad
11 years ago

The video on the tv, made me feel awful and then when I checked out the you tube video, I completely lost sense.It was that disgusting.

Equally bad is to hear actvists point the respectful lady for her short clothes.Why don't they understand clothes is not equal to consent! Why do they tell her how to get dressed and not him for how NOT to rape!

Whatever happened cannot be altered.Let's make the culprit known for what he's worth. Let's do this right.

The point of this exercise is not to call him names or suggest punishment strategies. it's to get them "known".Atleast this will put them to shame. 

This happened before, we screamed, we shut up. We swore we won't let this happen again, and it's happening.

Only reason why this is happening is lack of moral values. Men have been made animals. No offence. 

I was having a chat with one of my friend today over this, and the simplest suggestion he gave me was "Curl yourself and shout as loudly as you can" Naturally, should be accepted without arguing, one woman cannot aloneg fight 15 men. If any such thing happens,  the same circumstance, if possible, run away.If not, curl yourself as tight as you can. This will atleast lapse the timing and some1 (By god's grace) might come to rescue.If you see any such thing happening, obviously help the lady out and also try to clip the pictures of the mentally disordered people. 

We have had enough of 'our country's law is shit' statements. Better, for the right action, take law in your hand! I wish we do not have president like pratibha patil who frees a rapist/murderer bcz he pleaded.I also came across something horrible, right now. Some1 said, 'they are not rapist, as there was no penetration. So no such charge can be put on them'Screw this people! 

Mischief Manager
from Gandhinagar
11 years ago

Equally sad was that the guy was busy "filming" it rather than helping the poor girl out. The worse thing is that instead of helping the girl, all people especially politicos are blaming the pub culture and the fact that women who wear short clothes are giving an invitation to rape. Such thinking grosses me out, such are the leaders of India who themselves are backwards promising to make India a FIRST WORLD COUNTRY. 

The politicos epect that right now the furor is high, people will write  statuts, tweet about this, organize a candle light march and slowly it will die out. They wish for it to die out rather than catching the culprits.  I may be wrong, but I think it is time for Indian youth to start acting like the citizens of the movie "GANGAJAL".

What can be done to avoid this?

Such problem can be tackled at three levels.

• The first level: The first level is the person himself. If we think in today's time, some people are just sick. Their mentality, the way they think, everything is corrupted. If we really want to eradicate this from the very grass root level, we need to change the way such people think. One really needs to respect the other gender. Once there is such a change in the mentality, such cases won't ever happen.
  • The second level: The second level is when the action is being done. Take for example in this case, 20 men and 1 girl. There needs to be a sense of responsibility among the citizens of the country to help fellow citizens when in need. This incident took place in the middle of the road. Obviously, there would be people around. Once people start standing against this at that very point, a sense of "fear of doing wrong" starts developing in the mind of the criminal, and when this happens, that very moment he/she would stop. Common people also need to stand against this, not only after the incident, but also during the incident. At this moment, people just don't care if it's not related to them, and criminals take advantage of this very fact. 
  • The third level: After the incident has been done, strict and quick action needs to be taken. This is the major problem. Criminals don't have that fear of getting caught or the fear of police at this moment. They know easily, they won't get caught cause such cases happen every now and then, and even if they get caught, they would be freed easily. This very thought is very dangerous. Until and unless they don't have the fear of police, nothing can stop them from doing the crime they do. And this can only be done by the police by taking strict and quick action. Once they know that if they are caught, they won't be spared, such cases would reduce dramatically.

Till now why haven't we be able to solve this problem?

Simple, we're failing at every step.

• People have started developing sick mentality, and there is no one to correct them or to stop them
  • Due to police complaints complications, no one has the time to get to help someone. In a way it's an added tension, which in a way is correct. Things should be made easier for people who volounteer in such a mannar. And we've already started. If you find someone injured on road, and you take him/her to hospital, you won't be asked any kind of questions by the policemen or any other sort of formality need not be done. So, we're improving, but it's not enough.
  • It's really easy these days to bribe a policeman and get yourself free. Plus, the police have failed a zillion times, that the general public no more trust the police. And so is with the criminals. Infact, I believe police has lost that respect which it should have. People just don't respect the police these days, and they are not to blame. I guess, police really needs to act up and gain the respect of every single one of us.

Many blame the girl in this part, for her clothing and that the girl went to the pub. I just want to tell such people one thing. 

On one side, there is a girl. Wearing clothes of her choice. Going to a place of her wish. No where in the law is written the dress code a girl should abide by. No where in the law is written that a girl shouldn't go to a pub. So, technically the girl is perfectly alright. 

On the other hand, there is a beast. Molesting a girl, against all human rights. Totally against the law.

Whom are you supporting? Person who is lawfully right? Or wrong? 

Changing clothes won't change a thing until the mentality of those beast is changed. 

People also ban girls going to a pub as they might be manhandled by those beast. To all of those, I want to say, The girl is lawfully right. It's those beast who are misbehaving. And those who misbehave should be thrown out of the pub. There's no logic in stopping a girl going to such places. The girl has no fault, it's her wish for the way she want to dress or where she wants to go. You can't blame her if she goes in a bikini to a pub. There's nothing wrong in that. The wrong is in the mentality of those beast, who think that "such clothing is an invitation to rape them". They need to be thrown out.

So, a message to all. Know what is wrong and what is right. Always stand against the wrong, no matter what. Don't make such incidents fade out. Thousands of such cases happen every year. Even if one of them is adressed properly and strictly, it would send out a strong message to those criminals and would great courage to other such victims.

As you alreay might have noticed, I don't really count such people as men, they don't deserve it. They are true beast. 

At last, I don't really feel ashame of my country. This is my country. With a little bit of dirt. You can't expect a clean and first class nation. There is a little bit of dirt, and together we need to clean it up and build a great nation ourselfs. 

Jai Hind!!

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

I think we should be proud of our country that lot of people raise hue and cry about such issues and force government and law enforcement to take action.

Animesh
from Mumbai
11 years ago

And even after that nothing happens! Things keep on happening!!

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Things will keep happening anyways. Where there are men, there will be evil men. Where there are more men, there will be more evil men. What one must appraciate the role non commercial media on internet is playing to spread awareness and mitigate this evil.

Mischief Manager
from Gandhinagar
11 years ago

The evil does exist everywhere, but a way to remove the evil from the minds of those people should be there.

Mischief Manager
Mischief Manager
from Gandhinagar
11 years ago

But nothing has come out of all these things. Those "beasts" are still roaming around freely.

Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
11 years ago

Terror is the only deterrant in the short term. Lynching these 20 will send a message. 

Kedar
Kedar
from Vadodara
11 years ago

A death panelty is must for these monsters!!

LockSign in to reply to this thread