Nothing is happening on inditalk or for that matter on the forum, i wonder why?

conquer-the-self
conquer-the-self
from pondicherry
11 years ago

whenever I check into inditalk I only see 'yo', 'wassup', 'anybody there', 'i am'. But when someone posts a spam link someone is bound to pounce on that guy to get him banned. Is there only one activity on inditalk? If people are not active on indichat or the forum what is the admin or the moderators doing about it?(i) post links to interesting indiblogposts (even if it is your own) so that others read it and promote them

(ii) links to interesting video, article and site links

(iii) Notifications links

(iv) start a discussion, a chat...

(v) use it like twitter. C'mon you have 60 more characters to express yourself to the world.

(vi) observations and feed back

The suggestions i have made above maybe useless but I suppose most of you can come up with better ways to use the inditalk and the forum. I request the mods and the admin to inject some life into these two areas soon.

1-20
21-26
Replies 1 to 20 of 26 Descending
Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

Inditalk and Indiforum are totally member dependent areas... so what can an admin or two moderators do to keep it rocking? Undecided

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Well, moderators (I am 1 too, btw) can dryhump a rock but I doubt that's going to end well.

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

it won't bring any product to the forum and gradually you'll end up losing your horsepower .... that's what i said Undecided

Leo
Leo
from Bengaluru
11 years ago
  1. Inditalk used to be active. At one time, there was such activity that there used to be 8 or 9 ppl at once, and I had to keep refreshing archives to stay in loop. of late, that has reduced. There is no rule that people shd be active on forum, or on inditalk for that matter. It is placed there so people can interact, and that interaction is a personal choice of course. Some use it, some don't, some might be busy to use it. Link spamming is caught, but not to get the user banned, but just to tell to him/her, that be careful, it isn't meant for link giving, and not complying might get a ban. Being inactive doesn't give a right or option to go over the rules and ethics of this forum.
  2. See, your blog post is interesting to you. If you post it on this forum, you are promoting your posts. If thousands of bloggers do the same by creating new threads each day saying, "This is damn good, come read, come comment, come promote" then there leaves no room for discussions to happen on the forum. That huge amount of threads would be heavy on the server and cause trouble to others using the forum, or other features like the Indivine (which is used to promote your posts and share interesting posts). If people aren't promoting, then that is again, a matter of interest and personal choice of that blogger. Indiblogger gives the option, a platform, not a force to promote, or even to read for that matter :)
  3. Observations and feedback.. if someone reads your posts, the best place to give u feed back is on ur blog. Not on the Indiblogger forum. 
  4. Use it like Twitter... if u have sixty more characters on Inditalk, go ahead and interact. Inditalk isn't Twitter my friend, that people come share their links and tweet there. There is limited visibility, if hundreds and thousands of bloggers come leave their links on Inditalk minute after minute, your post will not get any time in that one spotlight don't u think? If u want to really promote and get ur posts visibility, then the best way, maybe the only proper way is to go read other blogs and get people back to your blog through a comment, so u build a network. Indi forum and Indi talk isn't a place for making ur blog posts validated. 
  5. If putting links and promoting with them on Indiforum and Inditalk is what you would call giving it life, I beg to disagree. It'd open a Pandora's box, rather than giving it life. I have had experiences where people give links, and then just leave it off and go, and lash out at those who would like to see this forum maintained cleanly as well. As for mods and admins giving it life, injecting it with life, that is again something that is in Indibloggers' hands. There are discussions that are fun, helpful as well, but not every thread is useful to every person, so the forum is not as active as people would like. 
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Cant agree with you more Leo! Cool

conquer-the-self
conquer-the-self
from pondicherry
11 years ago

ok, so all the suggestions were useless, that's ok but how do you liven up the forum or would you let it lie and die......

Leo
from Bengaluru
11 years ago

like Anunoy said, and I repeated, the forum is a place for members.. participation can liven it up, but that is not something that is forced on any blogger, and should not be as well. as for it dying, it is not. some topics attract some people, some don't.  same way like a poetry blog would attract majority of poets, and not a lot of social or politics bloggers. not every Indiblogger uses the forum, and not every one needs to either.

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
11 years ago

I think the focus has little to do here than anything else. The topics that used to there earlier were worth discussing, which may not be the case right now. Blogging topics, questions on technology, reviews, funny games etc. use to be the talk of the town.. which it seems have been missing for some time now. I believe its the quality of topics that are missing than actually people not contributing...

(@LEO where is Umesh?)

Leo
from Bengaluru
11 years ago

@Hemal: Mr. Derebail has gone missing from the forum of late. I see him at times on Facebook but not otherwise. He's not attended the past two Indi meets either.

conquer-the-self
conquer-the-self
from pondicherry
11 years ago

btw inditalk can be bigger than twitter, atleast for India.

Leo
from Bengaluru
11 years ago

give a blogger a place to link and share his beautiful blog posts, then there is more chance of him doing just that, rather than using it for interacting. twitter, people follow ur account if they are interested, sometimes if they aren't interested, and tweet.. unless u both are following each other, conversations do not occur. inditalk, two strangers might talk and after a while, become friends. I have got friends like that. if Inditalk is made like a Twitter, with no restrictions or warnings etc, then rather than just interact and increase your network, find a blogger you can relate to, people would just put a link and go away. I have seen people just coming by one minute, while people are interacting, and put "hi. find seo help here:", "hi. this is my blog, do read: " and then vanish. though 5 others would have said hi, they'd just be interested in putting a link there.. odds are, one of those five might click that. in the end, only the link takes the priority if it becomes that way.

Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

Smile Look buddy, I'm really happy that you brought this fact 'inditalk not so active off late' to the light coz for a while it was humming in my mind... but neither any one of us, nor any moderator/admin can make it lively with single handed efforts... from our part we can try.... how?... if it's indiforum, we can start some discussion on something, start any game/challenge etc and if it's inditalk we can text a hi whenever we log into indiblogger.... in any 2 way/multi way communication platform we can't improve things from one side right?.... just do your part... sometimes encourage other members to do their parts too....

conquer-the-self
conquer-the-self
from pondicherry
11 years ago

@arunoy I think the mistake lies in  trying to define something which is beginning to evolve. By doing so you are limiting the potential of this resource. If this was conceived and created by someone with a vision, we should know immediately that instead of trying to define it we should take it further on the path of evolution to where it is headed. If you leave it to the mods and admin you are effectively distancing yourself from the project.

Generally, mods and admin will be trying hard to define their roles and stick to that (therein lies the tragedy). Whether they want to rise above their role is entirely upto them( if they believe they are members first and anything else later).

I don't see any restrictions which are holding us down. It is up to the members to explore and exploit the full potential of this opportunity in front of us. If the forum is active the mods and admin will be on their toes to do their roles well. Each one of us should do our bit to contribute posts which may go on to become sticky posts( norms of the forum). 

Thanks for the post and the points you have raised. My intention is to have a healthy discussion(and less arguments and war of words) and make this place even better.

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

Udayakumar, I'll be glad to be called Anunoy than Arunoy (I cross checked that two keys 'r' & 'n' are distant apart and there's no chance of fingers getting slipped) YellTongue out

"If you leave it to the mods and admin you are effectively distancing yourself from the project."- I think you didn't read what I said before: "neither any one of us, nor any moderator/admin can make it lively with single handed efforts".... BTW if you have any productive idea of leading a proper evolution process please do share.... the effectiveness of your ideas will be felt by Indibloggers' acceptance... and offcourse we all want some healthy (productive + comfortable) discussions over here Smile

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
11 years ago

"I don't see any restrictions which are holding us down."What restrictions are there in the forums to hold YOU- as in members- down???? If you think that moderating comments of those who advertise their site, services, garbage over here will be entertained then that's not possible.  Moderators condition the community forums. Admins take care of it or make decisions that mods cant/refuse to take. Members are the ones who keep it buzzing. We have a large memberbase and on top of it there are regular contests. But alas due to the world we live in, the only activity this forum sees on a regular basis is only and only when there are contests. Lets admit it, the only reason people respond here is to win contests and hopefully get something out of it- or try to find ways to advertise here and there. Even if you go to the reviews section, some of them talk about the blog presentation and not about the content (obviously because they haven't read it) when in bold and with links they promote their blog. Forum's designs have outlasted its usefulness and on top of it moderators don't have full mod control. Now, Indiblogger also has name, phone number and address section- which I hope they don't keep those as mandatory. There are set of issues with admins and mods, but its always towards the members too. What can mods and admin do? There are contest, are they not? BTW, there have been a healthy interaction in the past on this forums- before you were regular here. Reality is that people get busy in their lives and although they may still blog, but they couldn't come here. Besides, most people are here to promote and find ways to promote their own blogs- not in the interest of sharing knowledge and helping eachother. This ends up discouraging people who genuinely want to do if people require. The condition of Blog review section itself is a proof of it. So with such level of selfishness, its obvious forums like this would be in a condition like this. I can't speak for all the mods, but the mods don't need to yap around like a parrot to clean the forums. Whom do you think are cleaning the general sections and over here too? About the admins. How can you say they are distancing from the project. So many contests are kept and meets are arranged. If you're unable to attend them or don't want to go for contests, that's your call. But saying that they are distancing from the project is plain and simple downright silly. If people want to contribute, let them. If not- its all good. But saying that mods and admins are not doing anything is silly. Moderators are not being paid nor they are getting out so its unfair that moderators will have to listen to all this. P.S. This is healthy condition and I would appreciate if you don't deem my choice of words as harsh or rude like how some people conviniently bring in to make their own point.

Leo
Leo
from Bengaluru
11 years ago
Therein lies a tragedy... I don't know. I am a member of Indi first. Always have been. Been active on this forum over two years at a minimum. And I am delighted to have contributed as one. But I am not limited by a role of a Indipolice that I do voluntarily. some things call for me to think as a Indipolice first, to look at if the topic benefits. And to make sure it doesn't turn out into a link hub. What you or someone else might find freeing, it might actually restrict others, and vice versa. Hence the guidelines. They can be found in the guidelines thread for new members, details on indivine, non allowing of links on Inditalk, details of other parts of the site etc.
conquer-the-self
conquer-the-self
from pondicherry
11 years ago

Ok. I should not be placing links to my indivine post in order to get someone to read my posts. 

@ Animesh (only animesh please)I am scared to go back to your chat archives. The 'yo', the 'hi' will put me to sleep, don't mind. I don't look back and this is how I find my way by barging on regardless.

Yeah, I have gone through a lot of threads, faqs and am beginning to understand that this place is laid back and far too relaxed.

I wanted to stir things up but seem to have offended a few people. Sorry about that but I think I should go back to my writing and come back after some time.

You seem to be the defensive type and I am the unorhodox basher, should find a lot of interesting things to share...maybe later. 

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Hey Uday, thank you for being sporty enough to understand the difference between defensive and unorthodox (i hope that is what you ment) basher. 

@Ani we can be a bit more tolerant of certain comments - but at the same time enforce the things which are basics of the forum and of the IndiTalk. 

conquer-the-self
conquer-the-self
from pondicherry
11 years ago

Hi Hemal shah,indi talk is a chat forum and people saying hi, ho, hello is hardly the way to go forward. I put up my suggestions and if you have better suggestions , do come forward and share them. I will not only accept them, I will implement them. But what suggestions do I get? Zilch!

I don't know if we should be tolerant enough to allow this chat forum to settle down to groans, yawns and half hearted attempts at connecting. If you have nothing to say , you have nothing to say.

But what got my goat is this Animesh calling me a troll. what have I done which looks like  troll activity.  

Animesh
from Mumbai
11 years ago

I went through the Inditalk archices and I think I read between lines when you wrote about that commodity trading and made a comment which crossed the limit.

I sincerely apologize for it.

conquer-the-self
conquer-the-self
from pondicherry
11 years ago

LOL ! Groan...Now I don't know where to run.CoolInnocentSurprised

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

@udayakumar - There used to be a nice person called Jaykumar. You remind me of him. I think you should find him and bring him back to Indiblogger and both of you should work together to make this a better place for everyone. 

conquer-the-self
conquer-the-self
from pondicherry
11 years ago

@sorcerorI respect you for being a moderator of this forum

'Moderators are not being paid nor they are getting out so its unfair that moderators will have to listen to all this'  Really, if you have an issue with non payment you know what to do? Don't use that as a stick to beat us with.

Being a moderator on this forum is an honor and that is why you are doing it, I think. if you feel you should be paid, take it up and get it resolved with those who will have answers.

But as a member I have my views to share and I do that because i think I belong here. this forum is as much mine as anybody else's. we may have differences and we can always sort them out by way of discussions and explanations.

"Well, moderators (I am 1 too, btw) can dryhump a rock but I doubt that's going to end well"(your words) ???

I know most members know what 'dryhum*' means but they are moderate enough not to use it, and why are you using such words here. It belongs to the crude west and let it stay there. There is no need to import it into our lingo. If you use such words how will you stop someone from hyperlinking to a graphic video(s)

from youtube about the practical demo of the word 'hum*'. I can do it now, you know, the hyperlink tab is not too from here. And i can conveniently blame it on you

Now what is the 'hum*' of 'dryhum*' doing here on this forum .  if some one uses 'fuc* or "wtf"  will you be able to stop it? and how?

I have given the members of this forum a feedback, and I am not accusing you of any mis deed. If the members respond to my thread I will respect their views so long as they respect mine.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Do you always find some advantage when conviniently misunderstanding what people say or you don't understand people properly? :P Read properly and slowly where I said I should be paid? The way you think is the same way reporters in India tv and propaganda channel think!

What I meant was that people should learn to moderate themselves. Bloggers are trying to fool moderators who are bloggers in a blogger forum by putting blog ads. Seriously??? People keep on spamming and conviniently find ways to sneak in links, genuine people will be discouraged and leave. then the spammers will spam eachother. forum is gone down the dumps. Is it benefitting anyone?????Everyone has the right to share views, but should be based on some logic. Are the moderators keeping the forums clean, are they not? Are the admins doing contests and meets are they not? There are some things they can do, mods can do more if they have the right mod powers- but members also have to do the part. Some threads are either "you scratch my back and i scratch yours" promotional threads or contests threads, rest when once in a blue moon when people have issues or need of creating thread of certain needs, that's what happens. Look at the people participating in contests and look at the people actually posting in forums. Members also need to play a part- and its usually, they need to do it first. Yeah, my words. Dry hump is not profanity :P. You might want to check that first. And where did I say you were accusing? I asked you series of questions- you didn't answer :P. Rather you're trying not to answer the questions! :PPresent points with some practical and logical approach.

conquer-the-self
conquer-the-self
from pondicherry
11 years ago

@ FOOL

Bring him on Fool. But you threw him out, right? And you remind me of a few yourself, you know. 

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Why would I throw him out? He is not active these days.That is all.

Somehow I find lot of similarity in though process between him and you. So I feel you both will get alonh hansomely. 

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Anyways, as you said things are dull around here these days. So as long as you don't spam or flame, we are glad of any entertainment you may like to provide to the members. 

conquer-the-self
from pondicherry
11 years ago

I have been on the internet long enough to understand the norms. Quite simply , I like to discuss but try to stay away from arguments. I see reactions and try hard not to respond in a similar vein, it is easier said than done, because writers are an egoistic lot, you know.

I am an aspiring writer and not a performer. If my posts entertain you, it is purely incidental, and I expect to be entertained too.

So if you think you will sit back and enjoy I will begin to question your reasons for basking in past glory. The past is dead and gone and we are as good as we do now. The effort has to be collective.

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
11 years ago

I think we all should stop getting on to everyone else's throat. This is not the first time we have got into agruements. 

@Udaya I think you need to take a small breather, look around the forum and then come back. we have had people come very strongly when we stopped them from promoting links on forum or the IndiTalk, and hence this would certainly not be the first time. You do bring up a good point, but there is nothing anyone can forcefully get it done from other bloggers / members of this forum. 

Come up with ideas that makes sense... create a post that would attract people to reply... but posting links and vidoes is no way to achieve it. 

PS: with all due respect to your long enough experience on Internet, I believe you are new here and may not know how it had been, has been, and will be. 

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
11 years ago

I have come up with an idea that may help all of us bring the forum alive. Lets see how the idea does.

http://www.indiblogger.in/forum/topic.php?id=14581

conquer-the-self
conquer-the-self
from pondicherry
11 years ago

@hemal No one is at each others throats. If my ideas don't make sense to you that is out of my control. your ideas are good and they are being practiced by the more popular forums where the moderators are .. well moderate and not some fundamnentalists that populate this forum. The idea here seems to put down the others with smart aleck comments and downright crass lingo picked up from the west.

I am new here but we are new to the concept of forums and how a forum is run by admin. and moderators who are far more experienced and balanced in their comments and observations. Obviously mods here are amateurs and give the impression that they are doing this forum a favor. But not to worry, these things get sorted out over a period of time as people learn and mend their ways.

Animesh
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Uday, please do not pass general remarks on all moderators. I am sure you have not interacted with all mods here. Generalisation has never worked in anyone's favour.

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
11 years ago
@Udaya i am member of many other forums too and they have even more harshest limitations. Obviously, the understanding the ways takes time and both should let the dust settle. And we are made mods for a reason and not something of a favor.
conquer-the-self
conquer-the-self
from pondicherry
11 years ago

@ sorceror  'dry hump' is not profanity in the literal sense of the word.

People,  go to youtube and type' dry hump' and see what videos you get. I will not try to educate you because this is the age of information and anyone can get access to whatever he is interested in, thanks to the internet. But I can suggest that you educate yourself like I and most others do, self help. first step is to practice moderation at least when you are on this forum

And dear Mod,Please cut out the condescending tone of your post and be careful about how you post or else this discussion will degenerate into an argument and waste of time. 

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

oh interesting youtuve link man! Wink

conquer-the-self
conquer-the-self
from pondicherry
11 years ago

@ anunoy -  Yeah obscene, lewd movements of the pelvis can be interesting to the voyeur but do they belong here? dry hump is an obscene act which is openly done, even by celebrities in the west. Like it has been said before ' modern dance is a vertical expression of a horizontal intention' but where do you place this other than smut.

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

hehe yea... btw why to make an issue about an uttered word by a fellow blogger... this is a forum right?... let's just bla bla anything until it really sounds aggressive against somebody or offensive to somebody.... already we have a prof. arena where we have to present only the polished back of ourselves keeping all our thorns masked... now if we have to be so careful in choosing words in our comfy space too then it'll be like sleeping with a necktie... Tongue out ... Now I feel we should take things more casually  over here and try to remain in a cool spirit.... cheers! Wink

conquer-the-self
conquer-the-self
from pondicherry
11 years ago

@animesh - ok, some mods, not all. sorry about that.

1-20
21-26
LockSign in to reply to this thread