What do you think of Bihar?

Shalu Sharma
Shalu Sharma
from Patna, Delhi
11 years ago

Many of you would know me of someone who is the founder of YouBihar, the social networking site for Bihar. I have a question that I wanted to ask as I am kind of doing a survey of opinions.

The question I wanted to ask fellow Indians is that, what they thought of Bihar and the people of Bihar?

I would be grateful if you could share your valuable opinion on Bihar.

Thanks in advance to those commenting. 

Replies 1 to 10 of 10 Descending

I simply don't like the idea of promoting regionalism. Yell

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Diversity is a fact of the nation and can not be done away with by closing your eyes to it. Nor is trying to homoegenize is cultural ethnic cleansing.

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

To answer you question, in my early days the postive thing I learn about Bihar is the number of people cracking civil services and negative thing is poverty. Politicians like Lalu Yadav project an overall negative image of Bihar which a politican like Nitesh Yadav has managed to counter to a large extent. I have met a coiple of nice Biharis on Indi itself. I do not have many Bihari friends in real world. But the one friend I have is the most brilliant mind I have met to date. He could discuss abstract philosophy as well  as comprehend the most complex mathematics with a magical ease. He still used to walka around in humility talking in his Desi accent, dirty t-shirt and havai slippers without the slightest of airs. 

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
11 years ago
The biggest thing comes out to mind is that even though so many strong an intellectual people that Bihar has made, it also has made equal number of uneducated (not schooling, but education in general) due to poverty. I would like to relate to this being regionalism because its others who start viewing people from other states. I wud like to give an example. A lady friend of mine along with me attended a Fosters Pool side in Mumbai courtesy IndiBlogger: after getting out of pool, she asked a waiter for towels "Bhaiya, towels kaha milega" and to which the waiter said "main bahiya nahi marathi hun". I guess that explains...
Shalu Sharma
from Patna, Delhi
11 years ago

Hemal, the word "Bhaiyya" means Brother and not someone from UP or Bihar. I wonder how they picked it up?

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
11 years ago

I dont know but people over here take it as an offense if one calls them "Bhaiya" over here. So people use another here. Its called "Boss"!!!!

yes, it is true, one never knows, what could be offensive in another state. I remember giving five rupee note to a shuttel taxi in mumbai, clutched between index and middle finger, and he got seriously offended.  

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Remembered one more Bihari friend. Bihar may have come to mean chaos for people but this chap was the most organized person I had ever seen. He could just organize any damn thing. He was my boss for a brief period. He came to see something on my laptop and he got pissed with the way icons were lying around and began to organize the icons on my desk top. 

yo, 

beparwahgi ka jo mazza hai, wo kahi nahi

bihar :great

maharashtra : super gr

west bengal : excellent

delhi : supe

rajasthan : never better

east or west, india is best.

Shalu Sharma
from Patna, Delhi
11 years ago

You've got it all wrong. I think it should be other way round. 

shalu, why the stress on best, or better than the best. in proper life everyone is to himself. if somebody gives me a million to say America is best in the world, i will not hesitate to say it. So, everyone to his own perspective.

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

excellent Laughing

Shalu Sharma
Shalu Sharma
from Patna, Delhi
11 years ago

@Hemal and The Sorcerer, in fact I am fond of the word "bhaiiya", there is nothing derogatory about it. We use the word for our elder brother and is taken as a respect. 

@Ritvik, no one's promoting regionalism. If you really feel that way, then I suggest your say that Raj T. 

@The Fool, I agree with you 100%.

@Rio, what do you mean Rajasthan never better. In fact, Rajasthan should top the list. 

rajasthan : never better, means " it was never better than it is today, means it is a lot beeter than the past famines.

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

yup... especially the pace at which Jaipur is shaping itself up Wink

yo doc.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
11 years ago

Yes aunty, respectfully- I know the meaning of Bhaiya. Others over here do to. But this is how a lot of people refer the word "bhaiya" over here.

Unknown
Unknown
from Hyderabad, India
11 years ago

Well If i had to be the first one to comment then..I would also have said..no to regionalism..but the discussion seems to have been steered positively..

Biharis remind me of all those preparing for civil services...its one of the factories of civil service officers..

Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
11 years ago

now this thread infuriated my craving for LiTTis YellFrownUndecided

i misread Ltte at first glance. god save

Shalu Sharma
Shalu Sharma
from Patna, Delhi
11 years ago

@Anunoy, 1 plate "litti chokha" coming up. You are more than welcome to come to Patna. 

in bihari there is a saying " je khiawe, tekre dis" whichever party throws lavish party to savor dishes, we solemnly vote them and stand by their side, no matter what. 

so,...

LockSign in to reply to this thread