CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR RAPISTS- Please support the movement

Ankita Sharma
Ankita Sharma
from New Delhi
11 years ago

This is a request which goes out to all the bloggers here at Indiblogger, when we can unite to promote a brand or product we can certainly do the same to ensure that a change is brought about in our own country. 

After the henious gangrape of a Delhi girl in a moving bus right in the heart of the country's capital, it is time that we unite as a community and advocate strict laws. I am in support of capital punishment for such crimes. Let us make an example of this case.

Please express your support through any and every medium possible. 

http://ani-eos.posterous.com/capital-punishment-for-rapists-please-support-66108

1-20
21-23
Replies 1 to 20 of 23 Descending
Easwar Arumugam
Easwar Arumugam
from Chennai
11 years ago

Giving capital punishment to rapists raise a dust of divergent views. Even Women's Organisations are not in favor of the capital punishment. Demanding such a detterent punsihment to the culprits jel well with our emotions. But then, one need to analyse the pros and cons of such a punishment before vociferously advocating it.

Ankita Sharma
Ankita Sharma
from New Delhi
11 years ago

i believe that a precedent needs to be set with a case like this. This is a case that is not just rape but attempted murder and just so much more disturbing....unless an example is made out of it, this movement will lose momentum.

Shalu Sharma
Shalu Sharma
from Patna, Delhi
11 years ago

I think this is very important and I support the cause. I have already written about it in my last blog post. 

Prasanna Rao
Prasanna Rao
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Capital punishment is good in the Delhi case. But wait, this is India, where police and politicians are corrupt. What if tomorrow, some son of a high profile politician rapes a girl and the police pin the crime on an innocent, hapless man. The man will be hanged for a crime he dint even commit. This can happen too in our country.

valid point raised.

KAJAL MAJHI
from Mahanad
11 years ago

agree with your point!actually punishment can not remove the heap of dirt from the minds.... 

Ankita Sharma
Ankita Sharma
from New Delhi
11 years ago

thank you for your support Shalu.

Ankita Sharma
Ankita Sharma
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Prasanna I agree with you completely. In a country like India, a strict law like this might be misused as well, but can you stand aside and let any women go through a fate worse  than death just because someone else may misuse the law?

this is just one case that came to light. I favor a strong action as justice delayed is justice denied. I wrote post recently titled  " vengeance", i see if some element of punishment is added which gives some power to aggreived to take full throttle vengeance and bloster the culprit any way they deem fit.

we see animals too take revenge then why not intellectuals be deprived. 

Prasanna Rao
from Bangalore
11 years ago

No definitely not, we cannot stand in silence when such atrocious crimes are committed against women. My blood too boils in rage. But don’t you think that death is just an easy escape for these criminals. If by killing these criminals, others with similar thoughts on their mind will be deterred, then I'm all for it. But I have my doubts Ankita.

KAJAL MAJHI
KAJAL MAJHI
from Mahanad
11 years ago

Again an another 42 years old women has been molested by three men in Delhi.  Another shame for our country , Frown 

we have to see it as a deeprooted evil and a allround stringent measures are need of the hour. ours is a society in which a three letter word uttered gets your comment deleted and raised eyebrows can be seen. 

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

"Fear of punishment do not match the desire for crime". 

In Saudi Arabia people get their heads chopped of once in a while. Still they who with head on their shoulders do something worthwhile to get it removed from there.

In america people gets poison into their veins but they value crime more invigorating than poison.

In India people do not get either of these but they do not kill more than the Arabians and Americans do.

That means if death do not show up in jails, neither will it in the society.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

But rape is diffent that killing. Rape is easier to curbe that murder. Because there is only one reason for rape where there could be many reasons for murder.

And we all know how to curb it. Because you know Mumbai is safe for women. You know why Mumbai is safe. Make Delhi like mumbai. Every city and village of our country like Mumbai. (That doesn't mean an underworld don for every village and town. Not thatSmile.

a

very less people can see what you are saying. but utterly needed

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

I say it as simple as I can Rio.

yo dude, i liked the manner.

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Good to see you back on the forums, Jayan.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

Thank you fool. And what's your opinion about this matter?

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Well Jayan - I think the lady here started this thread to garner support for the petition and not for a discussion on merits and demerits of capital punishment. So I amd not sure if she will be happy if we hijacked the thread for such a discussion.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

But the forum is for discussion. Isn't it?

Many people support it too. As far now, only two bloggers have dissented.

Ashu
Ashu
from kolkata
11 years ago

I do not believe in Capital Punishment as awarding this itself in our present judiciary would take years... I am a big fan of an old village tradition-"Hukka Pani band" or a social boycott for the culprits. it sounds so simple... think of my way:

0. Have a special courts where there are no lawyers defending the culprits, and the decision should happen in maximum 7-30 days. 

1. All Molesters/rapist/criminals are listed in a website, which can be used as a database for all criminals or persons aquitted/trial in a crime. The database is utilised by all Govt and non-govt firms for hiring or negotiating a contract. (think of it who would like to hire a criminal, simialr website is avaialble abroad- https://www.visualcompliance.com, which screens organisation and persons ) . people get exposed nationally as well as internationally.

2. No jobs/contracts  for these criminals through govt or non govt firms. firms employing if got caught to be heavily penalised.

3. All Govt / non Govt docs(Ration card, Passport, Voters ID card) issued is cancelled, bank accounts / Loan accounts frozen/cancelled. you dont get cellphones/lanlines/travelling/credit cards if you dont have these now a days.....

these measures would land up a person with no identity, their life would become so  difficult. people will not even think of carrying out crimes. we can very well punish people the way we do it.

Capital Punishment in my opinion is a waste of time in a "Democracy" like ours.....where it takes a decade to a get a justice and  after a decade the justice is denied...

Ashu
from kolkata
11 years ago

you can also read a post written on my blog voicing this

Ankita Sharma
Ankita Sharma
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Ashu, I like your idea. however, it might be like cornering a wide animal..it could also resort to even worse situations. Forcing a man to live without employment and money might lead to greater social frustration and worse repercussions. 

Ashu
Ashu
from kolkata
11 years ago

seems you got scared with the feeling how a person would live wihtout employemnt and money... that's the concept... make people afraid of committing a crime... today we are not afraid of committing a crime as there are no immidiate judgement... or even we can do away with paying a handful or meagre bribes to avoid it.... the implementation of this concept would cost us much less than the extended police force cost for even a city... i agree it could give some frustations but that could be at initial stages...

Easwar Arumugam
Easwar Arumugam
from Chennai
11 years ago

Why should the rapist be killed with a pain of just two seconds contratry to the victim who in a society like ours would still live with so much shame and un-acceptance? If the girl has to continue with his stigma throughout her life let the rapist also live with the stigma of rapist.

Ankita Sharma
Ankita Sharma
from New Delhi
11 years ago

fool and jayan..you have a free leash to discussion capital punishment. I really want to get people's opinion if capital punishment is the way forward on this.

TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

Cool. Thanks.

Vysakh Jayakrishnan
from Thrissur
11 years ago

In that case, my opinion is this.

"Capital punishment should be abolished."

Putting a man on death row and finally killing him is not suited for a civilised society.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
11 years ago

On a completely unrelated note, could you remove your blog's link from the first post?

Prasanna Rao
Prasanna Rao
from Bangalore
11 years ago

I saw this in news today that a girl who was gang raped committed suicide because the police dint register a FIR after she complained. She was repeatedly called to the station and asked obscene questions. I dont know what to say, but everyday a part of me as a woman is dying Frown

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
11 years ago

In my opinion, capital punishment is really not going to serve much purpose. Right now most of us are just experiencing blind anger at the atrocity and so want the anger to find expression. Our anger will be assuaged if we are able to place the blame on someone and the anger can be taken out through extremely harsh punishment, whether the person is guilty or not. We are just cloaking the anger as sense of justice.

Having said that I am not part of the human rights brigade and I don't mind capital punishment for genuine culprits though I don't appreciate the sense of vengeance on behalf of the victim. I see it more practically. We have so much population and not enough resources to feed all. So why waste resources on these criminals like the biriyani for Kasab. Instead quickly get rid of them and be done is what I feel.

But I don't see capital punishment of deterrant. I am sure no rapist will even be delighted at the prospect of 7 years in stinking jails with worse criminals for the sake of 30 minutes to 1 hour of pleasure. The whole point is they possibly believe they can get away with nothing as conviction rate is low. That is not going to change by making seven years into death. If they can get away from seven years in jail, they can also get away from hanging. So the need is more for fast track courts and higher chance of conviction of the guilty.

Ankita Sharma
Ankita Sharma
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Fool I agree. A higher conviction rate is definately required.

Ankita Sharma
Ankita Sharma
from New Delhi
11 years ago

Prasanna you have said exactly what I was feeling.. everyday a part of me as a woman is dying looking at the state of law and order in India.

I support this movement .

India needs stricter rules for the protection of Women as well as girl childs just like in Arab countries (take Dubai as example) .... Cut or Blad and let one shame prove an example to other ....unless these warnings reach men ( who love taking risks on women ) and tame them with a sign " You have already been warned "

Even Men (good) should support this and take forward a rule which is really needed for our country (atleast for some years ) when Men ( u know who i mean) realise that Women are part of their family and it is their duty to protect them and not exploit them .

KAJAL MAJHI
KAJAL MAJHI
from Mahanad
11 years ago

She is no more :( May her soul RIP :( Cry

1-20
21-23
LockSign in to reply to this thread