Widgets for Blog

Sheba
Sheba
from Mumbai
14 years ago

What all widgets do you think a blog must absolutely have? I have been wandering around the blogosphere and picked up the widgets from some of the blogs.

Here's my top -5:

1)Feedjit

2)Recent Comments

3)Chatbox

4)Subscribe to posts/comments in Reader/Email

5)Top Commenters

(All the widgets are from my own blog, but am on the lookout for some good ones, so awaiting your responses)

Replies 1 to 6 of 6 Descending
Rajasekar
Rajasekar
from Chennai
14 years ago

Here goes my list

1.Twitter

2.Linkedin

3.Facebook

4.Sitemeter/ClusterMaps

5.Google Translate

Sheba
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Facebook huh..I prefer not to display my social networking profiles on my blog page...

ARJuna
ARJuna
from Mumbai
14 years ago

A Follower Widget is, I must say compulsory, it encourages the reader to 'follow' your blog and hence keep in touch!

Sheba
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Yes,followers widget is a good one to display on one's blog..

Vipul Grover
Vipul Grover
from Chandigarh
14 years ago

Keeping the consistency with the initiaor of this discussion, i'll be giving my TOP 5:

5. A nice photograph of urs with the 'about me'

4. BLOG ROLL(blogs u follow)

3. Followers/Google Friend Connect

2. Chat Box

1. LABELS/TAGS

And one tht u shud not hav

AdSense..  if its a non-commercial blog! Thr r better ways of making money thn annoying ur readers with crappy ads.

Sheba
from Mumbai
14 years ago

I do have adsense, but its of no use. I don't display ads prominently, coz I dont want my page to look messy. And you are right, on a non-commercial blog, it's not of much use to fill up the page with crappy ads...

Rohini
Rohini
from Bangalore
14 years ago

1) I have a Suggestions tab by skribit.com for readers to suggest topics for blog posts. It's a sleek widget but sadly hasn't worked for my blog. I have never received any suggestions.

2) A View Random Post button. It ensures there is something to read even when I'm on a blogging holiday.

3) A Google translation widget. I found it better than Altavista's babelfish but it's still as poor as any non- human translator.

4) Top posts widget by PostRank to display the most popular posts on the blog.

5) A Random Multilanguage Word of the Day widget by Internet Polyglot just to show off my love for the languages. It displays different words in English translated into 17 languages.

And finally as everyone else suggests, a Google Friend Connect box.

That's all. Hope you found it useful!

Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
14 years ago

Skribit is a brilliant Idea but people seldome use it, as far as my blog is concerned.. As of now, I have had only one suggestion that came to me via Scribit.

Sheba
from Mumbai
14 years ago

skribit..that's an interesting idea, though i am not sure if  I will be able to write a post based on someone else's suggestions

Rohini
from Bangalore
13 years ago

I haven't had much success with Skribit too. But I know have known bloggers who get scores of suggestions via Skribit.

Vinay Bavdekar
Vinay Bavdekar
from Mumbai
14 years ago

My Top 5 widgets  are:

1. Blogroll,

2. Blog archive

3. Tag cloud

4. Visitor cluster maps

5. A promo for open source software (any)

Hemal Shah
Hemal Shah
from Mumbai
14 years ago
  1. Recent Comments
  2. Feedjit
  3. Scribit
  4. Tag Cloud (Flash the better)
  5. Blogroll

That would make my perfect 5

LockSign in to reply to this thread