Long Posts Or Short Posts-which is more effective?

Sarbajit Saha
Sarbajit Saha
from Kolkata
10 years ago

Which is more effectve according to you-writing less number of long higgh quality posts or more number of medium quality short blog posts?

Replies 1 to 17 of 17 Descending

I think it depends on what is your topic.. But I guess in any topic, you write only that much what is necessary since in this fast moving world, people really dont have much time to spend apart from what is just bare enough for necessity.

By the way, you dont have any active blog Undecided 

D Gowardhan
D Gowardhan
from Raigarh
10 years ago

Short posts are more effective, 

And long posts are good if the tone of your writing is personal. 

In general a 400 word articles split into 5 or 6 paragraphs with one clean picture works well

Aditya Dey
Aditya Dey
from Kolkata
10 years ago

I think the ideal word limit for a normal post is around 450 to 600....though it depends vastly on the topic itself....I think we should be active enough on our blogs....that means we should post in regular intervals....

Tony John
Tony John
from Kerala
10 years ago

You should not blog by counting words. Instead, write whatever you could to make the post most useful and effective.

In my blog, I usually write long articles and they all fetch good amount of traffic for "long term". However, if I take the all-time history, some of the articles that fetched the highest traffic in the history of the site are short articles like "How to close an app in Windows 8" etc, which are just few lines.

This does not mean short articles are always better. I do write very long, well researched, useful articles and that is what makes Google think I can write effectively and that is why they rank my short articles as well.

Write short articles to get some quick traffic. But, to build authority for your site, write long, well research, useful articles. Then your short articles too will rank well in search engines (Google). Balance both short and long articles to balance traffic and authority building for your site.

If you write 5 articles with 400 words each, you might get more traffic than writing a single 2000 word article. However, the long term advantage of having a single, high quality 2000 word article will be much better - it will help you get much more traffic from your future short articles as well.

If your site is not a high authority site, your short articles will be ignored by search engines.

Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Personally, I feel that there is nothing called an ideal limit. Write as many words as necessary to express your ideas in a clear way. If your post is longer, make sure to split them into paragraphs ( if possible ) and give proper headings so that people who do not have time can atleast scan your post in lesser time rather than clicking the close button.

I like writing long posts but I prefer reading short ones. Undecided

I think I can write a long essay on it.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Laughing

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
10 years ago

I guess blogging bloggers already have many article on how to write blog posts Tongue out

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

But none of those posts can be condensed to give an integer range as an answer to the current question.Tongue out

In fact, that is the way it needs to be. Undecided

Treat and Trick
Treat and Trick
from Singapore
10 years ago

I prefer a short, straight to the point and useful  post with photos relating  to the topic you're posting...

Purnendu
Purnendu
from Pune
10 years ago

From a Search Engine's perspective, they do no like articles with too less text. So you can safely assume that your articles must have more than 300 words. However the attention span of people these days is less so you must also not make it very big. Break the article if you feel it will cross 600-700 words. 

Here I always thought that how big an article would be always depends on the subject, as for ex, Wiki, how can they write every short information about an country ?? I like their aproach as they write as such as needed, nothing extra nor too short either..

Raghavendar
Raghavendar
from Chennai
10 years ago

In Google's point of view, having a minimum of 300 words is better. But don't restrict yourself to 300 words. Having even 1000 words with better Images and quotes/highlights are better for readers.

Mohit
Mohit
from Mumbai
10 years ago

I think long posts written in a very good way impress more than short posts...I see many people writing long posts for contests as it can be attractive....Anyone having time can write very lengthy posts but if not written in a good way then lengthy posts doesn't look good....

Bushra M
Bushra M
from Bangalore
10 years ago

Short or long, they have their own effect and audience! The trick is to know when to opt for a short post and when to opt for a long one!Wink

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

You could divide long posts into multiple page posts, ya know!

Vishal Verma
Vishal Verma
from Bangalore
10 years ago

all article's in my blogs are more than 400 Words..  Word count does not matters If you write 300-400 Words article and It is  valuable then It can even get thousands of visitors daily..

The Sorcerer
The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Depends more on the genre of blogging and your readers. But one thing is universal. Unless its filled with useful facts, no1 wants boring crap to put them to sleep. This goes to people who express their opinions. Even in the forums some people get carried away and so many things that you have to wonder whether you should read it or not. This is something many people do, and it happens. But- atleast try to be conscious about it and try to refrain from doing so. There are lot of people who make videos blogs as well, but they make a movie out of something which can be done in 4-10 minutes.

The Sorcerer
from Mumbai
10 years ago

The news I post are pretty short, but the reviews I put are long- 1200 words minimum with anything between 5- 50 pictures in a single post. That being said, I divide the post into pages for easy reading.

Archana Joyce
Archana Joyce
from Chennai
10 years ago

A personal blog does not have to worry about limits and effectivenes. When the blog's purpose is to attract views, sell, promote or educate - it warrants some thinking about the target audience and their patience levels! When push comes to shove, I would say that it is a matter of personal prefernce and comfort level. No one has the right to say 'Don't write long articles' or 'I don't respect Haikus'.

If someone is literarily challenged, there are blogs specially for them. Scores of well written blogs for avid readers as well. Explore your strengths and experiment. Don't let anyone curb or define your talent :) Happy writing Sabajit!

Shantanu Banerjee
Shantanu Banerjee
from Mumbai
10 years ago

I think both long posts and short posts will fetch traffic if the visiblity of the post is good. I mean if the reader can view the post easily (and the post is interesting)  he will read through the entire post no matter how long it is. Long and interesting post will keep the reader glued to your blog for  sometime, which is very good for google spiders to notice. the more readers spend quality time on your blog, the more your blog gets uplifted in search engines rank. But again this can only happen if you post Interesting and Quality posts.

some probloggers write medium length posts but they interact with the readers and write interesting stuff, I can never leave their website before reading the whole post. (Ex: Neeraj Narayan's Travel Posts )

Again Like TS said for easy reading you can divide the long posts into two posts and let the readers decide if they want the complete story or not. :)

LockSign in to reply to this thread