Plagiarised content

Fairy Princess
Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Today while reading blogs, I came across a blog post that was submitted for Colgate competition. I had opened it with great expectation and when I saw the post, I couldn't see beyond the red haze in front of my eyes. Why? Because this story is plagiarized from the famous story that is doing rounds on FB since last few months, if not a year. My question, how can a writer disrespect the intellect of his/her readers by posting such unethical stuff. Secondly, how did his story got accepted? Isn't there volunteers to check on these issues?

I know I might be breaking few rules here by posting the link of the story but I can't make my point without attaching it.

Indipolice: Please delete it if it's going against the rules.

Plagiarized crap:

http://dare-to-think-beyond-horizon.blogspot.in/2013/05/until-death-do-us-apart.html

Edited 10 years ago
Reason: Spelling error
1-20
21-28
Replies 1 to 20 of 28 Descending
Anunoy Samanta
Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

See logically speaking, IB can't check every post while taking the submission from its members but while the contest is evaluted IB must be able to find the rotten tomatoes and throw them off. Smile

I shout out loudly: I hate heartless/brainless cut/copy/paste when it comes to creativity... always.... Yell

I think the member should be banned... I know, he/she can open a new account and register but this is least/maximum IB can do....

We can inform google about this plagarized material and blog... that's what we should enjoy right now Tongue out

Fairy Princess
Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

And this post has got 16 votes....now what kind of bloggers we are to promote unethical posts? I think every blogger should mull this question seriously before they promote anything again in future.

Anunoy Samanta
from Bardhaman
10 years ago

We've already discussed the futility of this present promoting/voting system Undecided

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

I know but I just can't over this asinine system of voting

DS
from Mumbai
10 years ago
I have not read the story yet but Pankti not everyone is on facebook! I am not on facebook and I might read the story on the blog and feel its such a beautifully written piece and vote for it. So you cant generalize that if something is on fb, the whole world knows about it!!
Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

@DS, the point is, the story is plagiarized. Do we really care to discuss how famous the story is? Or should we focus on the unethical practice that has been done? And plagiarism is unethcial, no matter how famous or infamous the original content is.

Many promote for promoting sake, that's all. reminded me of a plain "404 file not found " gotten lavish promotes.

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

@Rio, are you serious?

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Pankti, now go and find that IndiVine post. Tongue out

Yes, Rio is serious. 

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Not every one is one FB nor do all FB users read the posts or stories they just press their likes.  Reading the blog post I too would have voted for it bcoz din know it was copied or whatever.

Yo, my dear friend Unknown had played this prank.

DS
from Mumbai
10 years ago
Pankti where have I mentioned anything about the story being famous? I just said that I am not on fb so I do not know the story and after reading it I may vote if I like it. I was just trying to clear your doubt about why would anyone vote for that.
Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

@DS, ok my bad. I misunderstood it.

These blogs should not be allowed to be in IB network.. Action is needed..

Sfurti Juztamom
from Mumbai
10 years ago

True that....strict action is needed, person should be blocked!!

Aditya Dey
Aditya Dey
from Kolkata
10 years ago

"Dhoooondu just chill"............ Tongue out to be honest I'm totally agreed with Pankti.....this crap post should be removed from the contest ASAP.....

Garfield
Garfield
from Bombay
10 years ago

Well, plagairized content has no right to be part of any contest. And the one who plagiarizes has no right left to write anything whatsoever.  I think the 16 votes given were traded for a vote each. Why else will such a post land up with such a tally?

Shaumik Daityari
Shaumik Daityari
from New Delhi
10 years ago

I even commented on that blog. The author seemed surprised :P I thought I should just let it go!

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

I can't believe that when the whole story is copied with sloppy tweaks..hard to believe, isn't it?

Shaumik Daityari
from New Delhi
10 years ago

what can I say! the confidence of the author made me think if i was hallucinating!

but the moment i saw the heading of this thread, i knew it must be that very post that you are referring to!

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

I have tagged the admin. They shall take necessary action against the plagiarist.

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Well the rules in the contest mention that voting on Indi will not count towards the contest and plagarism is bad but who will and can complain to the Google.  A guy copied whole of my article including my name and posted it on net.  One fine day I found out that he was ranked above me  in the Google search.  I was kinda pissed of and  complained to google via DCMA and the fellow lost his blog.  

Only a copyrighted owner can complain about plagarism, DS is right not everybody is member of FB and FB material itself is not self hosted(most of the content is shared and forwarded).

One one thing we can do is put some nasty comments in the blog so that the blogger feels a bit ashamed and maybe will not repeat in next time.

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
10 years ago

I think the drive was to spot the rule breakers and once its proven that said blog really broke rule then put that out of IB Network..

Shaumik Daityari
from New Delhi
10 years ago

Happened to me once :P Although everything except my name was copied. A well wisher (who is still anonymous) pointed it out to me with a link.

I emailed the author- no replies. I emailed the admins of their blog and also the service which hosted the blog about the plagiarised content. It was finally taken down along with an apology mail from the author!

One can be inspired though and reword and present a post in his own manner, that is allowed methinks. 

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

@Rio, if you reword an idea and express it in the way you think, it's not plagiarism..but the day you start lifting idea, sentence formation AND flow of the work, it DOES become plagiarized content...BTW, famous journalists and budding authors have lost their credibility through this practice. I don't remember the name of the author but there was this American author who used to write on psychological issues. He plagiarized his second book from his own first book. When everybody realized it, his books were removed from the shelves and all the contracts for furture book writing were taken back. I know about other such instances too.

Now we see pictures lifting too, and we escape just by saying google to be credited. Any enlightening on this friends
Ranjith
Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

There were a few other instances of plagiarism in Indi Contests. And also, there was one person whose plagiarized posts won several contests! 

Now, every time I see a huge post on Facebook ( when my friends are browsing their feed ) lifted from somewhere else without giving any credit, I just wonder how the poster could they do such a thing and the same applies for those who share those posts! Frown

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

Why was the issue not raised when the plagiarized content won the contents? I believe I'd have raised hell...How can anyone put up with such unethical practices? Undecided

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Actually, people knew that the entry was a plagiarized one many days after the declaration of results. I wasn't there on Indi at that time. You can read about it here.

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

-- deleted --

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

I got access denied. I thought I would have to go home and check it out Cool

Ranjith
from hyderabad
10 years ago

Why is blog.indiblogger.in being blocked ? Innocent

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

My network department knows Innocent But i don't want to ask them, least they block this IB too Wink

The person inflicted had become a great friend of mine at indie itself,  and still is. This person could have taken the prize on a blank post as only vote s mattered then. We had serious talks then on vote begging issues. He was grand vote getter. The way this was dealt, downed the position of indie. It was a flawed judgement and they oughta have banned silently,  but the humiliation process was unwarranted. 

Just my personal views. 

Hi Guys,

I am the one whose post you all are talking about.I would want to say few things1. Seriously speaking I had no idea that such a story is making rounds on FB, it was something shared by a friend of mines and I was so much inspired from it    that I thought of presenting it with my own emotions attached to it.2. I apologize for hurting the sentiments of fellow bloggers and my readers, it had whatsoever no intensions of doing so.3. Can you please provide me the link and name of the true author of this story, so that I can give him full credit.4. If you guys want I will remove the post right now. Also I have added the following lines on my post

"I was not aware that this story is making rounds on FB. Can you please provide me with the link and name of the true authorso that I can give credit to that person."

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
10 years ago

Morning Ankit..

It seems some bloggers feels that the post is very similar to something what they have read on FB, so lets wait till that FB page is found.. Secondly, I dont think you should remove the post yet as original story URL is still not found..

Fight is suppose to be against Plagiarised content, not against you or any individual..

Thank you for commenting and clearing your end also..

Presenting any story in your own words is not plagiarism. So chill if it is not copy paste.

Garfield
Garfield
from Bombay
10 years ago

Well I am surprised that the post won! Usually, in such contests, the judges run a plagiarism check before they let the post pass up to the next level of evaluation. But evidently, here that does not seem to be part of the agenda at all! 

Sriram R
Sriram R
from Mumbai
10 years ago

I think we  need to see the bigger picture.

The blogger has apologized and is asking  for  direction  to  give  due  credit  to the  original  author. Do  we  know who  that  is?

I  don't  think the  blogger won anything as  the  contest  is still  ongoing  if  my  understanding  is  right.  Correct me if I am  wrong.

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

@Sriram, I would be glad to be of help but this story is somewhere buried in FB stories... Sfurti (another IB member) is going to try to search for the original content. In the meantime, what should be the appropriate course of action only Indipolice can say...

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

@Ranjith, why didnt the orginal content owners file a DCMA against that guy Saurav and get his blog banned. He is still online and posting.  I tried to check it for plagarism with checker but my net is too damn slow so couldnt get results.  Maybe later.  

Sriram R
Sriram R
from Mumbai
10 years ago

I personally know this blogger and he knows very well the  consequences  of copying content. We  have  had  discussions  and  also  shared  past  stories  of plagiarism and he knows the severity of plagiarizing.

Please find the true author and let him know about it and he will give credit for it. He is also putting it on his blog post that the post has been identified as copied content and leaving the post on his blog for direction.

Unlike in the past where many disputed, this blogger has accepted his error and is asking for help. Let us help him do the right thing.

As for past competitions, let us deal with that separately.

My question to all is, if there is genuine effort to improve and accept responsibility publicly, are we still going to victimize or guide?

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Yep I believe what Sriram says is correct.  If somebody gives an apology it should be accepted and the way forward is to disregard the entry for the contest.  

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

@Sriram, this is not the case of victimizing anybody...this is the case of a blogger being responsible for his/her actions. It's good that the blogger has accepted his mistake and readers will definitely appreciate it. Now what he should do will be debatable, and so I am not saying anything over here.

In his place, I would have removed the whole post because the inspiration can go only to a certain limit. Being a professional writer/editor, we have a simple rule: no matter how damned impress we are, we cannot internalize those pieces in our writings. In my old publication, one of my colleagues was threatened to be sued by another journalist of international caliber over the plagiarism of couple of sentences (It was not even a para, let alone an entire piece). So I follow those damned stringent rules. But then, bloggers may not agree with me over here. So now this is up for discussion.

Sfurti Juztamom
from Mumbai
10 years ago

My point of view is...if the blogger knew about plaigiarism and knew that he is not presenting his own work, he should have given due credit to the author at first place....I even remember one comment on the post telling him about the FB post.....he knew it was not his original work and he knew the consequences of copying.....So he should face the consequence now!!!!

But thats what I think..

Vijay Prabhu
Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

One thing is sure this topic made the blog a little bit popular noticed a high blip in the visitors graph just now

Sriram R
Sriram R
from Mumbai
10 years ago

@Pankti we are not professional  writers or  editors  but certainly  we need your help and  guidance in  improving  but  we  surely  can  use  civil  language  and  some patience  in  identifying  responsibility.

I recommended  not  removing  the post  for  the  reason  that leaving it on the blog with the acceptance  can  also help  find  the  true  author.

As  for  the  contest, I think with that acceptance on the post, it gets barred from getting any prize. So that should not be an issue at all.

Fairy Princess
from Delhi
10 years ago

@Sriram, where did I use uncivilized language. Please point that out to me as I would really appreciate it. I might be bit harsh but I don't think I was uncivilized.

Sfurti Juztamom
from Mumbai
10 years ago

@ Sriram...If its not my original post...and I dont know who the author is..why should it remain on my blog?? Anyways its given the blog enough publicity and pagehits..

Sriram R
Sriram R
from Mumbai
10 years ago

I do not think people have read the comments where Ankit has asked for links of similar stories.

Sriram R
Sriram R
from Mumbai
10 years ago

@Sfurti  this is a  question  of  honour and  responsibility. When Ankit accepted he has given all options. But until the investigation is completed, he is not tampering wth critical evidence in the blog post and comments.

That is what any investigation does and it gives IndiPolice the chance to solve the issue. Once resolved, it will be taken down.

As for traffic, that is momentary. If its high today then its momentary spike and Ankit is putting his reputation on the line too. Many may not accept his story, that too is a reality he has to deal with.

TF Carthick
TF Carthick
from Bangalore
10 years ago

My 2 cents.

I read through the post. It clearly does not meet the blog-o-sphere's definition of plagiarism. It is highly plausible as he said he has heard the story somewhere and based on that tried to make his own story. People often write hare and tortoise story and such popular stories on their blog with just the intention of sharing. Since they make no money out of it, nothing wrong with it.

But definitely the post lacks originality and there is no value added contribution from the blogger except for Indianization and the pictures. So definitely not fit to be a contest winner. But it is upto the organizers to decide what they are looking for. So many organizers have so many arbitrary criteria. If they want to pick a cliched entry as winner, so be it. And with the blogger openly stating it is picked from a circulating FB post, organizers have full choice whether to choose him as winner or not.

This is a general post floating on FB like so many others and hence I doubt if we will ever find the original authors.

Vijay Prabhu
from Mumbai
10 years ago

TF agree with you

Animesh
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Exactly my point TF. If we start screening posts like this, every other posts will be plagiarized. All ideas have been already written during last thousands of years. we need to use this word cautiously.

As far as winning is concerned, as you said we have no say on that. That's a totally organizer's decision.

Hunky @ NexGenBikes.com
from Kolkata
10 years ago

Unless the facebook page is found, can we really hold the blogger guilty for anything ?? Specially when he came foward to explain him self and agrees to accept guilt if it is proved ??

Animesh
from Mumbai
10 years ago

Hunky, agree. We're talking in dark. We have not seen the original yet but one has been found guilty of copying it.

1-20
21-28
LockSign in to reply to this thread